Russian visa as a tourist in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Johnoe

Russian visa as a tourist in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post by Johnoe »

Hey all,

I'm a British citizen currently on a (90 day) tourist visa in Malaysia and I just got granted a Russian visa at the consulate in Kuala Lumpur. I couldn't find much recent info online so I wanted to post a quick update. Note - I was told by some agencies here in KL that it's not possible for tourists to get a Russian visa, but it is!

Apply at the consulate at No. 263, Jalan Ampang, 50450 KL. I think the opening times are 9.30am-1pm, Mon, Weds and Fri.

To apply you'll need to fill out and print the online form (from this page - http://malaysia.mid.ru/web/malaysia-en/ ... formation1), handwritten copies aren't accepted.
You'll also need a letter of invitation (from a Russian tourist agency, I used Real Russia), a passport photo, a copy of your travel insurance (this wasn't mentioned anywhere but I didn't have it initially and got turned away). I also attached a photocopy of my passport photo-page and a copy of the page with my current Malaysian visa/entry stamp.

Present the documents at the consulate, then after checking you will be given a receipt and told to go and pay the fee at a nearby bank - mine was 200RM for a British citizen, about $45 or £35.

Present the bank receipt and you'll then get another receipt with a pickup date - a week or so later - and that's it.
2 x

Elepsen

Re: Russian visa as a tourist in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post by Elepsen »

Johnoe wrote:Hey all,

I'm a British citizen currently on a (90 day) tourist visa in Malaysia and I just got granted a Russian visa at the consulate in Kuala Lumpur. I couldn't find much recent info online so I wanted to post a quick update. Note - I was told by some agencies here in KL that it's not possible for tourists to get a Russian visa, but it is!

Apply at the consulate at No. 263, Jalan Ampang, 50450 KL. I think the opening times are 9.30am-1pm, Mon, Weds and Fri.

To apply you'll need to fill out and print the online form (from this page - http://malaysia.mid.ru/web/malaysia-en/ ... formation1), handwritten copies aren't accepted.
You'll also need a letter of invitation (from a Russian tourist agency, I used Real Russia), a passport photo, a copy of your travel insurance (this wasn't mentioned anywhere but I didn't have it initially and got turned away). I also attached a photocopy of my passport photo-page and a copy of the page with my current Malaysian visa/entry stamp.

Present the documents at the consulate, then after checking you will be given a receipt and told to go and pay the fee at a nearby bank - mine was 200RM for a British citizen, about $45 or £35.

Present the bank receipt and you'll then get another receipt with a pickup date - a week or so later - and that's it.
Hello,
Which travel insurance are you talking about ? I would like to know your opinion about subscribing a policy from AXA Insurance Singapore https://www.axa.com.sg/travel-insurance
0 x

Elki

Re: Russian visa as a tourist in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post by Elki »

Inquired via a travel agency at Russian embassy in KL on the possibility to get a visa 'on-the-road' as a tourist (Swiss national) currently stranded in Malaysia.
Reply was negative: Only if persons involved in the commissioning and maintenance of foreign equipment (visa maintenance type) they can apply here.
In other case should apply Russian visa only in the Embassy of Russia in Swiss.
2 x