Azerbaijan visa on a motorbike

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
charlesm

Azerbaijan visa on a motorbike

Postby charlesm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Can any confirm if the Azeri authorities will only allow you 72 hours, even if you've a 30 day tourist visa, to transit the country if you are on a motorbike?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Azerbaijan visa on a motorbike

Postby steven » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:54 am

I have never heard of this rule, where did you get this information. A reliable source? Perhaps an Azeri TO will know. Please let me know if this is the case, it would be news to me!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Laura P.

Postby Laura P. » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 am

Hey guys,

OK, I've just spent a week in 'deep discussion' with the Azerb. embassy in Tbilisi in regards to this very problem I've also encountered online. Basically, they insisted for 6 and a half days that nooooo, there are no restrictions for motorbikes and that they'd never heard of this '72 hour rule'. But, of course, it's all over the net, so I didn't budge :|
Anyway, the good news is that I was right :D the bad news is that I was right :(
Due to an idiotic mistake (literally) made by whomever wrote the law back in 2004, when it mentions that foreign visitors entering Azerbaijan with their own wheels are free to drive for the duration of their visa (15 or 30 days), they specify cars but NOT motorbikes. the consul assured me this was stupid and that of course bikes are included, but it does not say so on paper, and that's all that matters.
The good news is that 'overstaying' incurs a very low penalty fine (about $30-40) and the Consul actually ADVISED me to overstay and pay the fine. Go figure. To pay the fine you must show up at the customs on the port in Baku, they will give you a fine slip, which you will take to whichever office they tell you, pay the fine and return to embark the boat to Turkmenistan.
However, be careful to go with hours if not a day to spare, because this office is back in town centre, and people caught unaware missed the boat by the time they got back. the next was cancelled, they overstayed their Azeri visa, the whole thing was a mess :(

Option 2: Get to Baku and head to port, park your bike in customs within 3 days of entering the country and forget about visiting the rest of the country with your own bike.

We are planning to cross into Azerb. on the 14th March (in 10 days) and are wavering b/w the two options. partner wants to overstay but I am sceptical. I have yet to knowingly abuse a law in 10 years of overlanding and never had an issue. Anyway, I'd be happy to post update if you like??
If it all goes awry, you may need to delete expletives after I've posted :lol:

Cheers for now :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi, please update!

I have some bikers in my time in Azerbaijan, and bikers that have passed through Azerbaijan, never heard of problems they encountered.

So please let us know what happened!
0 x

Laura P.

Postby Laura P. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Ok we're back online...so., all went well at the Red Bridge Border, where we (apparently) received a permission slip which states we are allowed to ride around on our motorbikes for the duration of our 15 day visa and NOT just for the first 72 hours. We asked specifically for this and he seemed more than happy to oblige; whether it will be helpful or not is anyone's guess.
Doc looks official enough, but who knows if we'll still have probs when we try to leave?
We paid 25 Lari (10 Manat) insurance at the border too, per motorbike.
No other issues. Will update once out of the country, cheers for now :)
0 x

robfir

Postby robfir » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 am

I'm planning to do this route this summer; can anyone give more info. on the 72 hour bike limit?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:41 am

This is all the info I have, perhaps try Horizons Unlimited if you haven't already?

Thanks for bringing this up again, I noticed i forgot to update on the Azeri driving page.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:48 am

Hi Robfir,

you probably found this post already yourself, but eurasiaoverland (Daniel Sprague, very reliable source) says it was still in force in May 2015: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/n ... post528907

So I would say based on the evidence Laura P's case was an exception.
0 x

patuszak

Postby patuszak » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:09 pm

Hello Motorbikers!

I'm refreshing the topic - does anyone know how long you may stay in Azerbaijan if you ride a motorbike? 72 hours vs as long as your visa says?

Together with my husband we are going to Azerbaijan this summer so the confirmed information is highly appreciated <3
0 x
Trip 2019 on a motorbike: from Poland to Kazakhstan through: Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Slovenia, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:17 pm

This information is highly outdated. Please read the website for the latest. What it says there for cars is also valid for motorcycles. You can stay 30 days no problem in other words.

https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/azerbaijan
0 x