Afghan visa at consulate in Istanbul

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Afghan visa at consulate in Istanbul

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Afghan embassy in Istanbul below.

We summarize all info on the Afghan visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

redjo27

Afghan visa at consulate in Istanbul

Post by redjo27 »

I'm (German citizenship) on a bicycle trip eastbound and right now the destination is Kyrgyzstan. I'll leave Iran in April and since I don't need a visa for UZ and there are problems with TM transit visa, I just wanted to give it a shot to apply for an Afghan tourist visa. I am in Turkey right now and the information of the consulate in Istanbul of November 2016 seemed to be quite convincing I might have a chance to get the visa.
After hitchhiking 1300km from Erzurum, I had to find out being refused to be giving a visa and I had the feeling that the previous information about the Istanbul consulate is quite useless for travellers.
However, here's my experience:
I went to the Afghan Consulate in Istanbul 19th Jan 2016 at around 9.40am (open 9am-2pm). Just make your way through the crowd to the
door and you'll be let in (at 11am when I left, the crowd was less). Try to get to the door and if you don't stick out as a foreigner, tell the guy who opens the door from time to time, you want a visa (in Persian: "visa mikhom"). It's a bit chaotic.
I explained that I'd like to apply for the tourist visa and had the application form ready. After 40min of waiting only my passport was taken and another 30min later a friendly man approached me. He said he'd like to issue a visa to a German, but he doesn't know me so he would be responsible if anything happened to me over there. I should contact someone/an organization (needn't be Afghan, the important thing is living) that should contact the MFA which then would give a 4-digit invitation code with which I can come back. He said nothing about a LOI from the German embassy. Also I have many visa of Iran in my passport which can cause some further interrogations at immigration he said, but I had the impression that they and the reason of being a German citizen have not been the reason why I was rejected.
Long story short you seem to need a 4-digit invitation code from Afghan MFA after a recommendation from someone living in Afghanistan to get a visa in Istanbul.
I may try again in Zahedan and maybe Mashhad, when I'm in Iran.
Safe travels
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi redjo,

I noticed you did not get the latest update yet: you do need a visa for Uzbekistan. The president changed his mind about the visa-free thing -> http://caravanistan.com/visa/uzbekistan

Sorry to read about your failed mission. I am sure the person who sent me the update was not lying. Things change quickly.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

rowanv

Post by rowanv »

Embassy report for Afghan tourist visa application at Istanbul Consulate, applying with Australian passport in July 2018.

I was ushered into a senior official's room and asked several questions, particular whether I knew anyone in Afghanistan and whether I was aware of the risk of travelling there. I replied honestly that I do not know anyone, but I have friends who've been there and will put me in touch with people. The official said I hope you will find your way and asked me to complete an application form (provided there), provide 2 passport photos and write and sign a letter to the embassy stating that I understand the risk of travelling in Afghanistan and that I take full responsibility for this myself. No MFA code or LOI were requested.

The visa cost for 1 week processing is US$80 and for next day is US$130. I asked for 1 week processing and mentioned that I would be travelling in Turkey the following week and pick my passport up when I returned to Istanbul. The official was concerned that I would need my passport for travel in Turkey (I did not mention that I also have a British passport that I used to enter Turkey) and agreed to let me pick up my visa next day for the standard price. The officials were very friendly and the process was easy.
2 x

marian

Post by marian »

Visited in Oct. 2018: Handling of the application is quick. You get asked a few questions: Why do you want to visit Afghanistan? Do you know anyone there? Do you have an invitation? I responded I wanted to go as a tourist and visit Bamyan and Mazar-e-Sharif. The lady gave me a visa form to fill and then her assistant made me write a declaration that I'm traveling at my own risk. I opted for visa pick up in one week which costs 80 USD, if you want it the next day they charge you 130. Overall there is friendly staff and it's a swift procedure.
1 x

rose101

Afghanistan Visa Istanbul

Post by rose101 »

Has anyone had any experience with getting an Afghanistan Visa in Istanbul??? How long does it take? Can I pay to have it expressed? And what documents do I need??

Thanks!!!
0 x