Afghan visa at consulate in Istanbul

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Afghan visa at consulate in Istanbul

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Afghan embassy in Istanbul below.

We summarize all info on the Afghan visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

redjo27

Afghan visa at consulate in Istanbul

Post by redjo27 »

I'm (German citizenship) on a bicycle trip eastbound and right now the destination is Kyrgyzstan. I'll leave Iran in April and since I don't need a visa for UZ and there are problems with TM transit visa, I just wanted to give it a shot to apply for an Afghan tourist visa. I am in Turkey right now and the information of the consulate in Istanbul of November 2016 seemed to be quite convincing I might have a chance to get the visa.
After hitchhiking 1300km from Erzurum, I had to find out being refused to be giving a visa and I had the feeling that the previous information about the Istanbul consulate is quite useless for travellers.
However, here's my experience:
I went to the Afghan Consulate in Istanbul 19th Jan 2016 at around 9.40am (open 9am-2pm). Just make your way through the crowd to the
door and you'll be let in (at 11am when I left, the crowd was less). Try to get to the door and if you don't stick out as a foreigner, tell the guy who opens the door from time to time, you want a visa (in Persian: "visa mikhom"). It's a bit chaotic.
I explained that I'd like to apply for the tourist visa and had the application form ready. After 40min of waiting only my passport was taken and another 30min later a friendly man approached me. He said he'd like to issue a visa to a German, but he doesn't know me so he would be responsible if anything happened to me over there. I should contact someone/an organization (needn't be Afghan, the important thing is living) that should contact the MFA which then would give a 4-digit invitation code with which I can come back. He said nothing about a LOI from the German embassy. Also I have many visa of Iran in my passport which can cause some further interrogations at immigration he said, but I had the impression that they and the reason of being a German citizen have not been the reason why I was rejected.
Long story short you seem to need a 4-digit invitation code from Afghan MFA after a recommendation from someone living in Afghanistan to get a visa in Istanbul.
I may try again in Zahedan and maybe Mashhad, when I'm in Iran.
Safe travels
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi redjo,

I noticed you did not get the latest update yet: you do need a visa for Uzbekistan. The president changed his mind about the visa-free thing -> http://caravanistan.com/visa/uzbekistan

Sorry to read about your failed mission. I am sure the person who sent me the update was not lying. Things change quickly.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

rowanv

Post by rowanv »

Embassy report for Afghan tourist visa application at Istanbul Consulate, applying with Australian passport in July 2018.

I was ushered into a senior official's room and asked several questions, particular whether I knew anyone in Afghanistan and whether I was aware of the risk of travelling there. I replied honestly that I do not know anyone, but I have friends who've been there and will put me in touch with people. The official said I hope you will find your way and asked me to complete an application form (provided there), provide 2 passport photos and write and sign a letter to the embassy stating that I understand the risk of travelling in Afghanistan and that I take full responsibility for this myself. No MFA code or LOI were requested.

The visa cost for 1 week processing is US$80 and for next day is US$130. I asked for 1 week processing and mentioned that I would be travelling in Turkey the following week and pick my passport up when I returned to Istanbul. The official was concerned that I would need my passport for travel in Turkey (I did not mention that I also have a British passport that I used to enter Turkey) and agreed to let me pick up my visa next day for the standard price. The officials were very friendly and the process was easy.
2 x

marian

Post by marian »

Visited in Oct. 2018: Handling of the application is quick. You get asked a few questions: Why do you want to visit Afghanistan? Do you know anyone there? Do you have an invitation? I responded I wanted to go as a tourist and visit Bamyan and Mazar-e-Sharif. The lady gave me a visa form to fill and then her assistant made me write a declaration that I'm traveling at my own risk. I opted for visa pick up in one week which costs 80 USD, if you want it the next day they charge you 130. Overall there is friendly staff and it's a swift procedure.
1 x

rose101

Afghanistan Visa Istanbul

Post by rose101 »

Has anyone had any experience with getting an Afghanistan Visa in Istanbul??? How long does it take? Can I pay to have it expressed? And what documents do I need??

Thanks!!!
0 x

emengee

Post by emengee »

I attempted to apply for an Afghan visa at the consulate in Istanbul last September and was told in no uncertain terms that they would not process a visa for someone who wasn't a Turkish citizen/resident and that I needed to go back to my home country to apply. The exception is if you have an MFA code from Kabul, but they do not issue these for tourist visas, so it was a fool's errand. I think that they have started making things more difficult because of the pandemic.

Since then, I've heard reports of other people having the same issues. I do know of one person who was successfully able to get his visa in Istanbul, but he has over 2 million followers on YouTube. So, if you're a celebrity or an influencer, maybe Istanbul will work for you. Otherwise, I'd try Dubai (which is where I ended up being successful in the end) or the consulate/embassy in your home country.

(If you do not have an Afghan embassy or consulate in your home country, you may have better luck in Istanbul.)
2 x