Transit visa Kazakhstan > Turkmenistan > Afghanistan

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Solsticio

Transit visa Kazakhstan > Turkmenistan > Afghanistan

Postby Solsticio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry if someone feels that the Turkmen visa thing already has too many topics, but for this particularly transit visa I only found an old topic from 2,5 years ago. Maybe someone has new experiences to share.

I would like to travel from Kazakhstan to Afghanistan, hoping to get a maximum amount of transit days.

A likely problems is that one needs to show a visa for the country you are coming from and the one you are going to. As EU citizens don't need a visa for Kazakhstan any more, this is difficult. I don't know if the Turkmen embassy cares about that and will just refuse me if I only show my Afghan visa. Should one apply for a 30+ day Kazakh visa anyway, even though one will at most stay a few days in the country, just for the visa?

Some experiences/thought/etc would be appreciated.

Erik
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Transit visa Kazakhstan > Turkmenistan > Afghanistan

Postby bwv812 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:12 pm

They only need to see the visa of the country your exiting to. Since that will be Afghanistan, and you have a visa for there, there are no problems. And anyway, if you were exiting to Kazakhstan, they understand if you say you don't need a visa for there.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:52 am

Alright, that's good to hear. But will I need to prove that I come from Kazakhstan (by showing a flight ticket or something like that)? Or will my point of entrance to Turkmenistan be fixed, so I have no other possibility?

I can imagine that they might suspect people to try to get a transit visa by claiming to come from/go to Kazakhstan, while in fact they are not transiting at all..
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:22 am

Transit visas have fixed entry and exit points specified on the visa, so they're not really concerned if you aren't able to visit Kazakhstan and thus unable to enter Turkmenistan.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:02 am

Great, that saves me from having to get an unnecessary visa. I will pay the embassy a visit anyway, but it's good to be informed beforehand.

Did you try this route yourself? I hope that, being the longest possible transit route, it will get me 7 days.
0 x