Turkmen visa Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
silkroadski

Re: Turkmen visa Q&A

Post by silkroadski »

Roughly 15 people in the last three weeks that I have met have had their Transit Visa approved from all major entries/exits both with their own transport and with none. This may be a lucky quota but it is looking good.
1 x

Douglas.pease.94

Turkmenistan LOI visa ISSUE TIME vs LOI

Post by Douglas.pease.94 »

HI all!!

New to this whole traveler thing! 24 and never left europe! obviously a newbie to Visas ect. so i have a solo motorcycle trip planned in August across the Pamir and would love to visit Turkmenistan to see the canyons and door to hell! so here comes the questions. Excuse my lack of knowledge :) i am going to be applying for a transit visa anyway entering from Kazakstan and exiting via Uzbekistan. So im guessing its going to be rejected straight away due to the fact i dont need to enter Turkmenistan to achieve that route. So in the likely case it does get rejected here comes the questions.

1) Do i REALLY need to book a TOUR to get an LOI or can i just pay money to a company and have one issued?
2) if i book a tour that only lasts 1 day will the LOI reflect the time i need to be in the country? so really if im only there for a 1 day tour i only really need to be in the country for 2/3 days
3) is it possible to book a 1 day tour and have the LOI ask for a 10 day tourist visa to be issued?
4) which company is best to book a tour through? if i have the time i would love to attend it but if not ill have to cancel and carry on with my travels.

5) (BONUS QUESTION) : All being well where exactly is the crocodiles mouth in the Yangykala canyon?

Thanks all in advance!!! :D 8-) 8-) :? :? :D :D :ugeek:
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Turkmenistan LOI visa ISSUE TIME vs LOI

Post by bwv812 »

All your visa answers are on the Turkmenistan visa page here, but the upshot is that your transit visa will be rejected and you will only get a tourist visa for the duration of your tour.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

anomalousbelgian

Post by anomalousbelgian »

Does anyone have experience with applying a second time for a transit visa after you've already been rejected? The Teheran embassy said that it would be rejected again, but now at the embassy in masshad they appear more hopeful.
0 x

Belteral

Post by Belteral »

I am completely confused about the whole Visa situation for Turkmenistan...
I plan to leave France in three weeks for Kirghizistan and be at the Dashoguz border crossing to Turkmenistan in six. Don't have a LOI yet (working on it with a tour agency). Not sure if I still have time to get my visa in Paris before departing.

So, here are my questions : if I get a LOI for a tourist visa, I understand that I can get my visa at the border but:
- is this assured? I don't want to get stuck in the no man's land.
- what do I need to bring for this, aside from the LOI itself, the necessary cash and my passport?
- how long is it likely to take to get the visa at the border? Are we talking minutes or hours longer than arriving with a visa already?

Thanks,
0 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

Belteral wrote:I am completely confused about the whole Visa situation for Turkmenistan...
I plan to leave France in three weeks for Kirghizistan and be at the Dashoguz border crossing to Turkmenistan in six. Don't have a LOI yet (working on it with a tour agency). Not sure if I still have time to get my visa in Paris before departing.

So, here are my questions : if I get a LOI for a tourist visa, I understand that I can get my visa at the border but:
1 - is this assured? I don't want to get stuck in the no man's land.
2 - what do I need to bring for this, aside from the LOI itself, the necessary cash and my passport?
3 - how long is it likely to take to get the visa at the border? Are we talking minutes or hours longer than arriving with a visa already?

Thanks,
1 - Yes but check all the information on the LOI document carefully. If anything at all doesn't match EXACTLY as it is shown on your passport they will not let you on the plane to depart for Turkmenistan.
2 - Yes, thats all. Make sure that your LOI is a printed copy though.
3 - It took us around 30mins to clear customs. First you have to pay for the visa then you clear customs. This took a while for us because the guy was a trainee and he kept checking everything he was doing with his supervisor which slowed it down.
4 - Some additional advice: There are guys outside looking to sell you Turkmen Manats in the arrivals hall. Do not buy from them. It is illegal and I have heard that sometimes they can be part of a sting from the cops. You really don't want to break the law in Turkmenistan. I suggest you change enough to get a cab into the city (USD10) at the official money changer and then change the rest of your money at the black market rate (which is significantly higher btw) with someone you can trust in town. The airport is really nice btw. Its worth take 15mins to walk around it when you're outside and check it out (You can see it here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52Mp-LrYBc). Probably the most unique looking airport I have ever been in. Have fun in Turkmenistan it's a surreal place.

Edit: oops i just re-read your post and realised that you arent arriving by air. Most of what I said should still apply for a land border I imagine though.
0 x

Belteral

Post by Belteral »

Thanks for the answer ! Even though I'll arrive by land it should be pretty much the same. I was especially worried about the delays, so what you're telling me is rather reassuring :)
seysearles wrote:The airport is really nice btw. Its worth take 15mins to walk around it when you're outside and check it out (You can see it here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52Mp-LrYBc). Probably the most unique looking airport I have ever been in. Have fun in Turkmenistan it's a surreal place.
Actually, I'm leaving through Ashgabat airport, and I was wondering if it is possible to spend the night there (either in some kind of deidcated resting room or just in the hall, I won't be picky) as my flight is ridiculously early in the morning and that could save me the price of (half) a night in an overpriced hotel in Ashgabat?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Belteral wrote:Actually, I'm leaving through Ashgabat airport, and I was wondering if it is possible to spend the night there (either in some kind of deidcated resting room or just in the hall, I won't be picky) as my flight is ridiculously early in the morning and that could save me the price of (half) a night in an overpriced hotel in Ashgabat?
Yes, I have done that 2 years ago. The lights are bright but it's very quiet so you can get a decent rest.
2 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

eragon233

Post by eragon233 »

Hi everyone,
I have a question about the LOI. I read in the official website of Turkmenistan embassy in England, that's it is possible to get a private invitation for a tourist visa. I know it still needs to be approved from the ministry and to be honest I don't have huge hopes that it will get approved, but oh well, it doesn't hurt to try. My question is about how the whole procedure has to be done - what needs to be included in the letter, how long I can stay(I read somewhere that tourist visa could be up to 30 days, but I'm not 100% sure), do I need to have some bookings for hotel or it doesn't matter and am I restricted to what places I can visit. I hope someone has gone through a similar process with getting invitation from a private individual/friend instead of a tour company. If not, any suggestions from people who dealt with visas would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

What the London embassy page says:

"If you are travelling as a tourist and will not be meeting anyone in Turkmenistan, you must contact any of travel and tourist agencies or companies in Turkmenistan."

https://uk.tmembassy.gov.tm/en/consular ... /visa-info

They basically means what Caravanistan says: you need to book a tour to get a visa/LoI.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com