Turkmen visa Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Fedot13

Re: Turkmen visa Q&A

Postby Fedot13 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 pm

Hello.

I read about transit area but still have doubts I'm safe on this. If I'm a Thailand citizen traveling from Bangkok to Moscow with a 3 hour stay in Ashgabat to switch the plane am I going to have any trouble without visa? Does it have the same rules for all the nationalities? On wiki it says "transit visa required" in the notes section which bothers me. Thank you
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Your airline will consult the IATA rules before allowing you to board, and according to those rules you're OK.

https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/bef ... 371d2cce18
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

rlaura

Postby rlaura » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi, I read in Lonely Planet that anyone working for media/political organizations is likely to have their Turkmenistan tourist visa rejected (or more accurately, not receive a LOI). I am currently an editor for an NGO but will be a freelance editor by the time I intend to visit Turkmenistan with a tour group.

1) Does anyone know if occupation or employer are explicitly asked for in the paperwork, and can I simply omit it?
2) If I do have to list employment, would it be better to indicate "freelance editor," "unemployed" (which would be true for that particular month, as I will be traveling and not accepting any editing jobs), or make up something else (but risk being caught out if they do a background check)?

Thanks in advance,
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:01 am

Freelance Editor sounds the best out of those options.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:50 pm

I was today in front of the embassy in Berlin. The doorman told me that they are so sorry, but they cannot take any transit visa applications until Apr 3 as they are changing the system (never expected to hear that sentence about Turkmenistan). He insisted that I call the consular support during their telephone working hours, but of course no one answered the phone at any time.

When asking if I could apply next week in Berlin and get my visa later in Tehran, he told me probably yes, probably even on the border. But only consular support could advise me best, so I should call. As my flight to Armenia is on 10/04 and I already paid for an express Visa (10 working days), picking it up during my trip sounds the best solution.

I didn't find any experiences here about applying in Europe and getting the visa in Iran. Does anyone know more about how and whether this is feasible?

Thanks!
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:49 am

It's all the same, apply in Istanbul and pick up in Tehran, apply in Berlin and pick up in Brussels, apply in Mashad and pick up in Almaty. All the same process.
1 x

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Interestingly enough, on the day on which according to the website they are not reachable by phone, they answered the phone directly.

The "change of visa system" rather seems to be the consul being on holiday, as the I got the information that I can come applying when the consul is back after April 3. Either way, after some questions it was said that I could apply in Berlin and get my visa for example in Tehran. I could get my invitation by e-mail, but he wasn't entirely sure as they don't seem to have a systematic way of dealing with this. I should discuss it with the consul upon his return.

I don't really like the idea of having to hope for an e-mail confirmation for the consul, as it might easily be forgotten or simply left unprocessed though. I didn't find much information on this procedure. It is common?

Erik
0 x

Miss Shopping

Postby Miss Shopping » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Hello,

Really hope someone can help me with this. I'm new to this forum so not sure if I'm posting this correctly....

I am a young student living in England (a Norwegian citizen). I really want to go to Turkmenistan, from Iran to Uzbekistan. I do however find this process very confusing. As I understand it it is now visa-free to go to Uzbekistan as a European, so that one is fine, I also think I will quite easily manage to get an Iranian visa. However there are two things I am very confused about

1. Will the London embassy (the Turkmen one) keep my passport for the whole time they are processing my request? I have read on here that people have arranged so that they get a code on email and they can go pick up their visa in Teheran, but that they applied to a different embassy, how does that work if you have to give them the passport? I will be gone for a few months from London, so won't have time to wait here for three weeks to get the visa.....So would be very handy if I could apply in London, but pick up the actual visa in Iran.

2. What I also don't understand is the issues about plane tickets, it's easy enough for me to buy a ticket to Iran, and then one from Uzbekistan, but surely I will need to wait to do that until I find out if I get the Turkmen transit visa or not? And if I don't find that out until I'm in Iran won't the plane tickets be extremely expensive? So should I buy a one-way ticket to Iran first, then wait until I get an email stating if I was approved for the Turkmen one, and THEN buy an Uzbekistan plane ticket to get back to Europe? (Or Iran if I don't get the Turkmen visa)

Will be very happy if anyone can reply! :D
0 x

Alexschwab.nz

Postby Alexschwab.nz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:50 am

In regards to a transit visa.

I'm a German Passport holder currently in Tokyo trying to acquire a transit visa.

Called the Turkmen embassy here in Tokyo this morning and they said that I need an LOI for a transit visa. I was a little shocked as by all accounts in here, I didn't think that was necessary.

After I get an LOI through an agency it can be processed here and picked up in another Turkmen Embassy.

Has anyone encountered the need for an LOI for a transit visa?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:04 am

Miss Shopping wrote:
1. Will the London embassy (the Turkmen one) keep my passport for the whole time they are processing my request?

2. So should I buy a one-way ticket to Iran first, then wait until I get an email stating if I was approved for the Turkmen one, and THEN buy an Uzbekistan plane ticket to get back to Europe? (Or Iran if I don't get the Turkmen visa)

1. They don't keep your passport
2. Yes, either wait, or get tickets that you can cancel. Third option: gamble.

Alexschwab.nz wrote:Has anyone encountered the need for an LOI for a transit visa?

https://caravanistan.com/visa/turkmenistan/ second paragraph. I will add Tokyo.
0 x