Turkmen visa Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
eccles1

Re: Turkmen visa Q&A

Post by eccles1 »

Juan M wrote:Hi,

These are the documents I sended:

* Passport copy

* Questioner filled and signed

* Visa application form filled and signed

* Transit visa form filled and signed

* e-visa for Azerbaijan

Here you have the details:

https://italy.tmembassy.gov.tm/en/consu ... -procedure

Regards,

Juan

sfymoises wrote:
Juan M wrote:Spanish passport. Applied in Rome embassy, ​​transit from Kunya Urgench to Turkmenbashi. Additionally, I requested the collection at the border.

I sent all the documents by email and I paid 10 euros as 'consular fee'.

After four weeks I've just received a brief email with the approval and a code (ID). I hope it will serve me at the border to get my passport.

Juan ]
Hi Juan,

Great info, thanks for that. Couple of questions.

On the UK embassy website, it doesn't list needing to fill in the "Visa Application", only the "Questioner" and the "Transit Visa Application". Do you really need to do the visa applications as well?

Did you list your exact dates that you will be there? Because we're not sure on the exact dates yet, depending on when we finish up in the other Stans. And the information about extended travel window of 3 months being granted is making me ask the question.

The question about where ypu are staying in Turkmenistan - did you book the places to stay before you applied for the visa? Or just list places you intend to stay at? I ask as I would like to know what the chances are of them checking? Again due to not being sure of the exact dates we'll be there yet.

Many thanks
0 x

Miss Shopping

Post by Miss Shopping »

Hi guys, two more questions here from me. I have a friend who is currently trying to submit my documents on my behalf in London, but they are giving her a lot of issues (telling her there is a tiny mistake, she goes away and comes back next day, they find a new tiny mistake etc etc).

1. In the London questionaire form there is an area which says "Name of the head of applicants company/organization" does anyone understand what this is? I didn't fill it out and my friend was told there was no signature there, when she asked who was supposed to sign it etc the person at the embassy once again just said that it was missing a signature.
2. Is it possible to apply for several transit visas to Turkmenistan at the same time? Like can I apply online through the embassy in lets say Rome while I also have an application being processed in London? I have booked my flight ticket to Iran for the 6th of August, and I don't want to wait until I'm there before I book my ticket back to Europe, flights from Uzbekistan is already quite expensive and they will probably increase more and more, and if I get denied the visa I will need to book another one way ticket away from Iran, which again will be quite expensive.....
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

1. Just let your mom sign it.
2. HAven't heard of anyone doing that before.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

md2k

Post by md2k »

Positive report on transit visa from Embassy in Geneva/ Switzerland
We (two Swiss passport holders) enquired the embassy of Turkmenistan in Geneva/ Switzerland by email if it would be possible to apply for a transit visum electronically as we are travelling. They replied the same day that this indeed is possible, we would have to pay a processing fee of EUR 10, which we did, and submit all the relevant information as per their website by email.
We paid and submitted the information and did not hear back. After 10 days I sent an email asking whether all information was complete, I did not get a reply.
A few days later we received the invitation letter by email (a few days later also to my postal address in Switzerland) without comment for a 5 day transit visum, not date specific, but entry/ exit specific within a three month period.
We have now travelled from Nukus/ Uzbekistan to Turkmenbashi and took the ferry to Azerbaijan. No problems, all very friendly and easy.
0 x

sam1918

Post by sam1918 »

Hi guys,

Hope you are well and enjoying summer.

I am going to do a trip around Central Asia... Turkmenistan has long been a dream destination for various reasons. Now, the transit visa.

1. It's a requirement for the applicant to provide the Embassy with the visas of the countries entering to and leaving from Turkmenistan. However, Uzbekistan has introduced a visa-free regime for EU national (30 days)... Assume this shouldn't be an issue then? Any reports?

2. The route through Turkmenistan is one of the most decisive factors whether or not a transit visa can be granted. I have got two alternatives:

a) Flying from Istanbul to Ashgabat, then go to Türkmenabat and take the Farab – Alat border crossing into Uzbekistan.

b) Caspian Ferry from Alat (Azerbaijan) to Türkmenbaşy (Turkmenistan), Ashgabat, Türkmenabat and take the Farab – Alat border crossing into Uzbekistan.

Does the 'a' alternative look as a legitimate transit route if I fly into Ashgabat then cross the country overland into Uzbekistan? Or would the 'b' alternative look like a more genuine transit route to the Turkmenistani officials? Or would crossing the overland borders from both sides (i. e. in and out of Turkmenistan) would be a better way to get the visa?

P. S. I HAVE contacted the Embassy by both e-mail and phone. The latter didn't result in anything, whilst I am still waiting a response on my email. This forum, however, is a great place to get a different perspective as Turkmenistan and its official aren't famous for having a structured and a predictable routine.

PP.S. Logically thinking, I assumed that the Turkmen Embassy in Berlin would be the one handling applications from Swedish nationals... Nope, the staff notified me I have to contact London, with no answers to my questions :D

Many thanks in advance!
0 x

Miss Shopping

Post by Miss Shopping »

sam1918 wrote:Hi guys,

I am going to do a trip around Central Asia... Turkmenistan has long been a dream destination for various reasons. Now, the transit visa.

1. It's a requirement for the applicant to provide the Embassy with the visas of the countries entering to and leaving from Turkmenistan. However, Uzbekistan has introduced a visa-free regime for EU national (30 days)... Assume this shouldn't be an issue then? Any reports?

2. The route through Turkmenistan is one of the most decisive factors whether or not a transit visa can be granted. I have got two alternatives:

a) Flying from Istanbul to Ashgabat, then go to Türkmenabat and take the Farab – Alat border crossing into Uzbekistan.

b) Caspian Ferry from Alat (Azerbaijan) to Türkmenbaşy (Turkmenistan), Ashgabat, Türkmenabat and take the Farab – Alat border crossing into Uzbekistan.

Does the 'a' alternative look as a legitimate transit route if I fly into Ashgabat then cross the country overland into Uzbekistan? Or would the 'b' alternative look like a more genuine transit route to the Turkmenistani officials? Or would crossing the overland borders from both sides (i. e. in and out of Turkmenistan) would be a better way to get the visa?

P. S. I HAVE contacted the Embassy by both e-mail and phone. The latter didn't result in anything, whilst I am still waiting a response on my email. This forum, however, is a great place to get a different perspective as Turkmenistan and its official aren't famous for having a structured and a predictable routine.

PP.S. Logically thinking, I assumed that the Turkmen Embassy in Berlin would be the one handling applications from Swedish nationals... Nope, the staff notified me I have to contact London, with no answers to my questions :D

Many thanks in advance!
Hi Sam! I'm not at all an expert in this so don't trust my info 100 %, BUT

1. To my understanding there are no issue simply writing on the application that you do not require a visa to Uzbekistan.

2a: I am pretty sure it is not possible at all to get a transit visa if you fly into Turkmenistan, the point of the visa is to transit from one country to another, if you say you are going to Uzbekistan and coming from Istanbul the obvious question would be " Why are you not simply flying directly to Uzbekistan". As I understand it they also decline applications that ask to transit between two countries that are next to each other, and therefore would be able to cross between without involving going through Turkmenistan.

2b: This is a alternative, but as I understand it the ferry is very very random, and if you get a date spesific visa you might not be able to get in before the visa is over, but this is only from information I've gathered on this website so I might have misunderstood things.

Is flying to Iran from Istanbul an option for you?

PPS: God luck with the one in London, I know one person who was successful in acquiring a visa from them through post (he is Norwegian) while I tried using a UK representative, who ended up giving up after six times trying to go to the embassy and giving them my documents. I'm planning on going to Iran and trying my luck at the embassy there.

- Hope this was helpful!
1 x

sam1918

Post by sam1918 »

Miss Shopping wrote:
sam1918 wrote:Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance!
Hi Sam! I'm not at all an expert in this so don't trust my info 100 %, BUT

1. To my understanding there are no issue simply writing on the application that you do not require a visa to Uzbekistan.

2a: I am pretty sure it is not possible at all to get a transit visa if you fly into Turkmenistan, the point of the visa is to transit from one country to another, if you say you are going to Uzbekistan and coming from Istanbul the obvious question would be " Why are you not simply flying directly to Uzbekistan". As I understand it they also decline applications that ask to transit between two countries that are next to each other, and therefore would be able to cross between without involving going through Turkmenistan.

2b: This is a alternative, but as I understand it the ferry is very very random, and if you get a date spesific visa you might not be able to get in before the visa is over, but this is only from information I've gathered on this website so I might have misunderstood things.

Is flying to Iran from Istanbul an option for you?

PPS: God luck with the one in London, I know one person who was successful in acquiring a visa from them through post (he is Norwegian) while I tried using a UK representative, who ended up giving up after six times trying to go to the embassy and giving them my documents. I'm planning on going to Iran and trying my luck at the embassy there.

- Hope this was helpful!
Thank you so much for your perspective. I really appreciate it and I am pretty sure you are right about flying into Turkmenistan... Thus, the ferry is the best and most secure (under these circumstances) alternative.

My great advantage is that I am still fluent at Russian, which is a tremendous asset in this case. I was able to research the ferry situation and it looks a bit better now. I also have a good friend in Baku who helps me to monitor this whole ferry issue.

Hah, I WANT to go to Iran... Only issue is that two weeks after my trip to Central Asia I have my best friend's wedding to attend in Washington. As soon as I enter Iran, my ESTA isn't valid anymore and I must go to the Embassy and apply for a US visa. A huge pain in the arse (pardon my French) if you visit those seven countries privately. Don't want to chance it with the US visa and such short notice.

Once again, thanks a lot for your reply :-)
0 x

Chuvash

Post by Chuvash »

Hi guys,

I have a LOI for a tourist visa and I was planning to get my visa at the embassy next week.
My concern is that I am traveling with someone else who will be doing her visa in a different embassy.
Do you guys know if this is possible or if using the LOI in an embassy voids it entirely?

Thanks in advance
0 x

asherr130

Post by asherr130 »

Hi,

I will be joining an ice hockey tour group/team that has approval from MFA (we will have local guides as well) to go play hockey against Galkan HC in early October 2019. One of the players on our team has a Canadian diplomatic passport - I know that journalists may have a tougher chance of getting a visa (or possibly won't be granted one at all), but I was wondering what the case is with diplomats? Any advice? After receiving our official invitation letter in a few weeks, my teammate plans to apply for a visa at the Turkmen embassy here in Beijing, where he is currently working and living. Thank you!

Best regards,
Alex
0 x

wanderlust2

Post by wanderlust2 »

Does anyone have current info on success rates from Tashkent? I applied for a transit visa and was told to come back in 2 weeks. They DID NOT want any phone calls. How many yea/nay from this consulate this year?
0 x