Visa free Iran for Malaysian in land border

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
kenni

Re: Visa free Iran for Malaysian in land border

Postby kenni » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi all,

The Iranian embassies in Kuala Lumpur and Yerevan both will tell you that you will need a visa to cross the land border.

But if you call Mr Amir, contact as provided in Caravanistan's Iran Visa page, he will tell you that you don't have to worry about it and could just enter without any visa, just as you would do at the airport.

I crossed the border yesterday (8 Oct 2017), and instead of being turned back, I was warmly welcomed and the border officers were so delighted to see a Malaysian. They were very helpful and even offered me a pomegranate they were cutting up!

So, as of writing, there are no problems for Malaysian passport holders to use the Agarak-Noorduz border visa-free, with no pre-applied visa. But if you want to be sure, give Mr Amiri a call to confirm and he will probably let his colleagues at the border know of your arrival. He is a nice guy.
1 x

kenni

Postby kenni » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi all,

The Iranian embassies in Kuala Lumpur and Yerevan both will tell you that you will need a visa to cross the land border.

But if you call Mr Amir, contact as provided in Caravanistan's Iran Visa page, he will tell you that you don't have to worry about it and could just enter without any visa, just as you would do at the airport.

I crossed the border yesterday (8 Oct 2017), and instead of being turned back, I was warmly welcomed and the border officers were so delighted to see a Malaysian. They were very helpful and even offered me a pomegranate they were cutting up!

So, as of writing, there are no problems for Malaysian passport holders to use the Agarak-Noorduz border visa-free, with no pre-applied visa. But if you want to be sure, give Mr Amiri a call to confirm and he will probably let his colleagues at the border know of your arrival. He is a nice guy.
2 x

Peter Van

Postby Peter Van » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am

Hi,
Can anyone out there confirm that Malaysians can cross the landborder with Iran? (they do not need a visa for Iran)
If so, which lsndborder crossing? We are in Erzurum (Turkey) now, waiting to cross...
Thanks for a rapid reply!
Peter
0 x

sebhoff

Postby sebhoff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Well - everything I've heard or seen so far suggests the answer is "yes, no problem". However, you only get 15 days. (My wife is Malaysian, but we entered Iran via IKA.)
Once you have crossed, maybe you could report back to confirm to make it easier for future travellers?
Sebastian
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:15 am

sebhoff wrote:Well - everything I've heard or seen so far suggests the answer is "yes, no problem". However, you only get 15 days. (My wife is Malaysian, but we entered Iran via IKA.)

We have one report already of Malaysians visa-free who managed to extend for 30 days.

https://caravanistan.com/visa/iran/extensions/
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Peter Van

Postby Peter Van » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Malaysian land border entry into Iran (Jan. 2019)

Malaysians do not need a visa for Iran. They get 15 days’ stay.

Ignore the following contradictory information given by professionals whose only job it is to know the facts…

Iran consulate in Erzurum and Iran embassy in Ankara:

the consul was not aware of whether Malaysians could cross the land border. He literally said “are you asking me or do you already know that you can enter?” He called the Iran embassy in Ankara and the reply was: not possible by land, only by flight. So the Erzurum consul advised to fly/travel from Erzurum to Istanbul and then fly to Tabriz/Tehran.

I also asked the consul whether a Malaysian could apply for a visa (get a Visa Grant code and then come to the consulate for the visa), but he said that that is impossible as Malaysians do not need a visa for Iran.

The plan was to go to the land border anyway and try to enter. When questioned by the border guards, I wanted to show them a paper that Malaysians do not need a visa for Iran, so when asked to write down “Malaysians do not need a visa for Iran”, the consul in Erzurum refused. He also refused to make a copy of this “official rule”, instead he showed a printed table in Farsi supposedly (because I cannot read Farsi) mentioning country names and their entry requirements.

Key2Persia:

Zarah Vesal wrote on two occasions that Malaysians must fly, but when they want to enter Iran by land, they need to apply for a visa in advance (via E-visa or a travel agent) and get it issued from a consulate.
Zarah confirmed that Malaysians had recently applied with Key2Persia and received the Visa Grant, and when I asked in which consulate they got their visa issued, Zarah thought it was the embassy in Ankara or the consulate in Erzurum – “impossible” according to the Erzurum consul.

Malaysian embassy in Ankara:

“Fly or try the land border – we don’t know whether it’s possible”!

Mr Amiri (Iran immigration official in Iran who used to work at the Armenia – Iran land border):
He first said “better you come to Tabriz airport because at the Bazargan land border we don’t have any officers for visa. But in the Tabriz international airport we have office for visa. Maybe some problem.” When we explained that Malaysians do not need visa and that we are in Erzurum waiting to cross the land border, he wrote “I’ll let you know” and after half an hour “No problem you can go to the border. Only with Malaysian passport”.
We also asked him whether/where extension after 15 days was possible and he answered “from immigration police”.

At the Bazargan border we proved that Malaysians can enter Iran with only passport.
2 x

sylvb74

Postby sylvb74 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 am

Hello,

We are a french family, we complete visa forms with a french Agency, we get autorization number in 3 weeks. We took our visa at Trabzon (Turkey). embassy people are great and smiling. We get directly a 60 days visa by person.
0 x