Embassy report: Turkmen transit visa in London

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Turkmenistan visa in London

Post by steven »

I have also been waiting 4 weeks already, and I am invited!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Zhivko

Turkmen visa in London delayed

Post by Zhivko »

Hi, everybody,

I applied for a Turkmen transit visa in London on August 21st (5 and a half weeks ago now). I still haven't got my visa, I call the embassy every week but they keep saying they have not got anything from Ashgabat yet. They also said my application has not been turned down, and that they are still processing it and could sometimes take this long.

Has this happened to anybody? I thought it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks.. :roll:

Thanks,
Zhivko
0 x

JalanSutra

Re: Turkmenistan visa in London

Post by JalanSutra »

I've just collected my Turkmenistan transit visa from the embassy in London so I thought I'd post my experiences on here, given the amount of useful information I've found on the forum previously.

I sent the embassy my application by post on 9th August. With the questionnaire and application form I also sent a letter outlining my intended dates (7th-10th October), route, entry and exit points and hotels; copies of my Uzbek (double entry) and Iranian visas; a photo copy of the photo page of my passport and; a flight ticket from Tashkent to KL a few weeks later.

These were the documents I was asked to supply by the embassy when I emailed them a few weeks earlier. I don’t know if the flight ticket was absolutely necessary but it may have helped.

I asked for 4 days, entering at Bajgiran (closest to Ashgabat) and exiting at Farab/Farap into Uzbekistan. I specified Ashgabat-Mary-Turkmenabat route and wrote down the names and addresses of a hotel in each city.

Exactly 3 weeks later on the 30th September I had a call from the embassy saying the visa was ready to pick up. I dropped off my passport on Tuesday 6th September and picked it up today (8th). I was originally quoted around £36 for the visa but paid £63.95 for express pick up. I think the prices are based on the day's exchange rate (maybe with the Manat?). Interestingly my visa does not specify entry or exit points at all and is for 5 days.
All in all a fairly painless experience!
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Turkmen visa in London delayed

Post by steven »

I got my (business) visa invitation a couple of days ago, after 6 weeks.
0 x

galax

Embassy report: Turkmen transit visa in London

Post by galax »

Failed, 5 May 2017
Hong Kong passport, solo male

In person I presented all the necessary documents, the consul looked at my letter with description of my transit plan and itinerary, simply said I should apply for tourist visa and join the tour instead, this is not a transit plan. Fyi my 5 day plan is as follows:

Day 1: Enter Turkmenistan from Saraghs border, stay in Mary
Day 2: Travel to Ashgabat, stay overnight
Day 3: Stay in Ashgabat for resting and planning
Day 4: Travel to Turkmenbashi, stay overnight
Day 5: Exit Turkmenistan from Garabogaz border

Is there anything wrong with my itinerary?

They simply didn't take my application.

Cheers
Galax
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Embassy report: Turkmen transit visa in London

Post by steven »

It should be possible with a different consul. Other people have definitely gotten a transit visa Iran - Kazakhstan.

Only the stay at Mary is not part of the transit itinerary. Perhaps just try elsewhere? It seems he was not going to give it you. Did you ask what you needed to change, or was he just in a grumpy mood and not likely to say anything?
0 x

galax

Post by galax »

I think problem maybe Mary tho I explained to him it was in case it's getting too late I may need to stay Mary 1 night instead of going straight to Ashgabat

He was in a grumpy mood maybe too close to lunch time lol

Will try my luck again when I arrive Tebran
0 x

galax

Post by galax »

Quick update:

Applied transit visa in Tehran on 15 May 2017, called them today (27 May) which is 10 working days later, confirmed ready to pickup!
0 x

Toekan

Post by Toekan »

Hi,

I also applied in London. We used a letter that was posted on this forum. He told us it looked too touristy and adviced us to change it if we wanted to maximize our chances. He said he had no part in this and thus made it look like he wanted to help us get through the administration, which we thought was nice. BUT, now just over 4 weeks we still haven't received an e-mail. Does this mean our visa is refused? Or should we be more patient? Or can it be it's waiting for us, but they didn't e-mail us?
0 x

Asdfg

Turkmenistan transit visa, London

Post by Asdfg »

Applied at London consulate, March 2018, UK/Aus couple, ages 60+, for Azerbaijan to Uzbekistan. Heard nothing for 4 weeks. Phoned and they offered to check situation with Immigration in Ashgabat. Email transit visa arrived 3 days later and 2 days before requested visa start date.

The visa showed our transit route (turkmenbashi, Ashgabat, dashoguz) but no specified arrive/depart dates, only 5 days duration. Visa valid for 3 months.

The Turkmenistan consulate in Baku is now open all days Mon-Fri, am and pm. We were told there our paper visa was valid for boarding the ferry, the visa would start on arrival and be paid for in dollars in turkmenbashi. So no worry about ferry hold-ups from Baku and the visa start date. However delays are obviously still a problem if leaving to Baku.

This all came true. There was a delay due to weather but we had a comfortable cabin with shower (cabin $80 each,seat 50) on the new Turkmen boat 'Bagtyyar' with restaurant in action so no need to bring all food.

Ship offices are still in containers outside the old port gates but Azerbaijan ship co. was shut both days we visited and Vika no longer offering assistance on her phone. Turkmen co. open every day and gave us a phone no. to check on departure time. They make a passport copy to get your name on the passenger list for their next boat. Buy ticket on board. Change $ to manats with passengers...current rate ~12M=$1. No currency check on entry or exit to Turkmenistan.
1 x