China Visa- independently going through Xinjiang

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
bedniyi

China Visa- independently going through Xinjiang

Post by bedniyi »

Hello,
I would like to ask if it is somehow possible to get visa to china as an independent traveller? I intend to go from Kyrgyzstan through China to Mongolia. This means that Xinjiang is on my way and as I have read somewhere it is impossible to go to Xinjian as an independent traveller i.e. without any organised group. Is that true?
Thank you for your answer,
Bedniyi
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: China Visa- independently going through Xinjiang

Post by bwv812 »

You can definitely go to Xinjiang as an independent traveler. However, when you apply for a visa it's best to give them an itinerary that doesn't include anything in Xinjiang or anything near Tibet. Just say you are going to Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, etc.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Mkz

Post by Mkz »

I applied for exactly that Route without any problems, just do some hotel bookings online and cancel them afterwards
0 x

Mendameoro

Post by Mendameoro »

Dear Mkz,

Where did you apply for the visa?

Warmest regards.
0 x

bedniyi

Post by bedniyi »

Thank you guys, I will let you know how it went
0 x

Doghi

Post by Doghi »

I managed to get a 4 year multi entry visa from the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa while having only Urumqi and Kashgar listed in the places I'm visiting, so it's definitely possible.
0 x