Embassy report: Turkmen visa in Tashkent

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Pubung

Report for Turkmen embassy in Tashkent

Post by Pubung »

Mon-Thu (also Fri?). 9.00-12.00

Despite of everything we read about it, it was a good embassy experience. Maybe because of mid July is not peak season? Or perhaps because there is a new consular now.

We went to apply for the visa on a Wednesday. Arrived at the embassy at 6 am to put the name on the list, we were number 3 and 4. Came back at 9 am and it didn't take long before they called us. At the time there were around 18 persons on the list. We had all the necessary documents: colored copies of front page of passport, iranian visa, 1 or 2 passport pics. We also had with us copy of Uzbek visa and a letter to the embassy, but both were not necessary. Friendly consular will ask you the documents and give you 2 forms. One is in english and its ok, but the second one is in turkmen and he will help you to fill that up. The second one looks like a letter and maybe thats why they didn't ask one to us. When you apply you must know the dates you want to get in and out and the borders that you will cross. We chose urgent process and it would be ready in maximum 1 week.

Next Wednesday we arrived at the embassy at around 10:30 am without putting the name in the list earlier in the morning. At that time we were number 30 on the list. Waited around 1 hour to be called. Still friendly consular remembered our names and said the visas were approved, so we left the passport with him and were told to go back at 4 pm. We asked him to write in the copy of our passport that he had our originals but he said it was not necessary. Eventually no policeman stopped us to confirm this story (we didn't take risks entering the subway anyway). At 4 pm we paid 55 usd each and finally got the visa, 5 days and entry and exit we asked.

Note: to collect the visa you always have to go in the morning to leave your passport and collect it in the afternoon, even if you apply from a different embassy and just need to collect your visa there.
1 x

woone

Turkmenistan transit visa refusals

Post by woone »

Hey there,an update about the turkmen embassy in tashkent.Went there at 6 am( thursday - its open from monday to thursday) wrote my name on the list, (i was number 3),came back at 9,they only asked for 1 copy of my passport and 1 copy of my iranian visa (i did both color copy) and a photo. They had form there,one in english and one in russian,they helped me to fill it,and they wrote themself the letter,i just had to write the entry point and the exit border,and te dates. The guy told me to come back the next week same day. I showed up the next thursday,the embassy was closed for holidays they told me to come back on monday.came back the tuesday morning at 11 am,my visa was ready,the kept my passport and told me to come back at 4pm. It cost 55 dollars,and they have change.

Good luck all !

Romain
1 x

vanivan

Embassy report: Turkmen visa in Tashkent, around Independence Day

Post by vanivan »

As previous reports have mentioned, go early and put your name down, then come back later. I went two consecutive days (more on that next) at 6:30 am, and was 6th in line yesterday and 1st today. Doors open at 9 but people are let in starting around 9:30.

You must have colour photocopies of your passport and visa of next country (in my case, Iran). After I had put my name down early in the morning, I scrambled around for the next two and a half hours looking for a place nearby that could provide photocopies. If you look at Maps.ME, there's an "ADG Copy Center" across the street. No use -- opens at 10:30. North of it is SealMag, which advertises colour copies and opens at 9. But when I went, they said it was illegal for them to make colour photocopies of passports (?!), and only offered me black and white. Well, I went with it and took the black and white copies and the store's excuse to the embassy, which promptly kicked me out for not having colour copies.

So have your copies ready beforehand, from somewhere else! I had no choice but to try the morning of, due to a late arrival the previous evening. I found an internet cafe a whole three hours later in another section of the city that did it for me; I'm sure it's a little less difficult if you take the metro somewhere central.

When in the embassy, I asked if I could transit from October 20-24. The men behind the counter refused, presumably due to Independence Day on the 27-28; the latest they could give me was October 17-21. Because my Uzbek visa is until the end of October, I asked for October 29-November 2 instead, which they approved.

Unlike previous reports, I was told that I could only pick up the visa on October 25 (since the 26, 27, and 28 are holidays; also, sending the visa to the border is not an option), with no way to request urgent processing. This made no sense to me, as they were telling me that I could apply for a visa for 17-21. I tried pointing that out, but their English wasn't so good and they didn't quite understand me, and my Russian is too poor to properly convey the same point. Ultimately, I think they were trying to say that they can only process transit visas based on the proposed date of entry. I continued to press, and they told me to return to the embassy on October 17, 18, or 19 and check.

I applied for entry at Konye-Urgench (south of Nukus) and exit at Bajgiran (south of Ashgabat). They told me that the Bajgiran border is currently closed, and proposed I exit through Sarakhs -- quite far away for a 5 day transit visa! I asked if there was anything easier, and the man suggested Artyk/Lottabad, which I went with. They printed out a letter of proposed itinerary in Russian, using the entry and exit points and dates, which I then signed. All throughout, they were quite polite, though not exactly friendly.

I'll update this thread if my visa gets denied, but it seemed like a pretty sure thing this morning.

Lastly, there doesn't seem to be any info on this Artyk crossing online... anyone have any tips to get to Mashhad? And any ideas on how to visit Darvaza going south from Konye-Urgench, without a vehicle of my own?
1 x

kzquest

Post by kzquest »

UK/EU passports (early June, 5 days), approved Transit Visa.

Applied in Tashkent, 7 days waiting time. Arrived at 6am to put name on list with Uzbek police guard (~20 names on the list). Embassy opens at 9am, Mon-Thur. Arrived back at 10am (a few hundred names on the list at this point, but jumped to front of queue once showed names on the list from earlier on). Filled application form inside the embassy (had no accomodation - guy just told us to put "unknown - will stay in hotels" for these addresses, and also said "not to bother with some of the formal questions" about salary etc. ... they don't seem relevant); just had to bring photocopies of passport, uzbekistan visa, azerbaijan e-visa (all colour) and two passport photos (no beard, just in case ...) [didn't have to have ferry tickets booked in advance; didn't even mention we were taking it, but the guy assumed once he saw Baku, Azerbaijan as exit point...so maybe it's common?]. Helpful, English speaking embassy worker also made a bespoke, printed letter (in Russian) to send to the MFA with the application, explaining the joint application and requesting an urgent response. Had to date and sign the printout. He bundled all the documents together and gave a number to call a week later. Called it and got told to come in any time Mon-Thur before midday to pickup the visa.

Transit will be from the Dargoush border crossing, exiting by ferry in Turkmenbashi. No mention by the embassy staff of any set route to take between the two borders.

Hope that helps people! It was actually very painless but the embassy attaché heightened the nerves by saying "it's 50/50 - we have no control over it here" ... but the Tashkent Embassy seem very keen to help would-be travellers put all the write things on the form to maximise their chances of approval, so would recommend trying it a lot (heard too many rejection stories in Bishkek, Dushanbe and Almaty in the weeks prior to getting this)!

Good luck all!
2 x

TimL

Re: Embassy report: Turkmen visa in Tashkent

Post by TimL »

Today applied for transit visa in Tashkent. Arrived at the embassy at 6 to write down my name. I was the fourth in line. When I came back around 9 there were only about 25 other people on the list so it seems to be less busy this time of the year (or maybe because it's Monday morning).
When I entered the embassy there was one helpful English speaking woman who gave me the instructions for all the forms that needed to be filled in. She told me that a transit visa starting the 1st of Oktober was still not possible and maybe it is possible form the 2nd, 3rd or 4th of Oktober. I gave her the handwritten letter I wrote, but she didn't need it and she also didn't help me write an other letter. I only brought one passport photo but you seem te need two because on the two forms there is space for the photo , but they still accepted it.
The only thing is I don't remember I wrote on the forms what place I want to enter and leave Turkmenistan (because I'm quite sure the form didn't ask it). She only looked at my letter but I don't know if she wrote down the entry or exit point, so I'm a little worried about that.
She gave me a phone number and email and I should ask for the status of my application at the end of September.
I hope they will approve it but you can never be sure.
1 x

TimL

Post by TimL »

Update: my transit visa is accepted :). Picked it up today.
0 x

timagius91

Post by timagius91 »

TimL wrote:Update: my transit visa is accepted :). Picked it up today.
Congrats! Thanks for the info. So it generally takes a few weeks? That makes it tough with the Uzbek VISA being quite short already! Did you just go directly to Tashkent at the beginning of your month?
0 x

TimL

Post by TimL »

Hi, thank you. I think it took this long because when I applied the indoor Asian games were still running. The processing of the visa was slower. I don't know if it's normally a lot faster. Yes, the day after I arrived in Uzbekistan I went to the embassy to apply. Good luck with your application.
0 x

Djal

Post by Djal »

Hey everybody,

I went to the embassy on the 7th of September. Went there at around 6:00 am. And created the list as I was the first person. I came back at 9:00 am. 14 people on the list. Could enter the embassy at around 10:00 am. My bag was thoroughly checked and I had to leave my mobile phone at the gate (Just don't take more than you need to the embassy). Went in and got confirmed what I already expected: No transit visas during September. So I asked if it would be possible in the very early October since my Usbek Visa was valid until 3rd of October. The nice english speaking guy checked with the consul and said that 2nd of October (Monday) would be okay.

So I gave my documents to him (colour copy of passport and visas) and filled out the rest on the spot. Also signed something which looked like a pre made letter in russian stating my purpose in Turkmenistan (had to fill in "transit" and the dates). Staff was very helpful and the process was rather smooth. They said I should call them in the week beginning on the 25th of September.

I called on the Friday before but no information could be given to me. I called again on Monday and got confirmed that I got the visa. I asked for a pick up at the border. A few hours later I got an LoI via email (I wrote the email down to the embassy on the day I applied - On the phone she asked for a document by post and did not want that I spell it to her, so I referred to that and that was OK).

I printed the LoI and got into Turkmenistan without problems. I paid 55$ visa fee, 10$ immigration fee and for both transactions a fee of 4$. So I guess picking it up at the embassy is 4$ cheaper, though I am not totally sure.

I am a German passport holder. Hope my report helped. ;)
2 x

laurent_rio

Post by laurent_rio »

On the phone she asked for a document by post and did not want that I spell it to her, so I referred to that and that was OK --> do you mean to collect visa you need to submit some documents ?
0 x