Visas for Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan - Iran on the road

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
stahlmann

Visas for Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan - Iran on the road

Postby stahlmann » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:49 am

I'm currently in Bishkek waiting for Uzbekistan visa (will post report once I got it).

Any recommendations where to apply for Turkmenistan (transit-) visa and Iran visa going overland from Kyrgystan > Uzbekistan > Turkmenistan > Iran?

From what I have been reading here so far, I will try Iran embassy here in Bishkek and then apply for a Turkmenistan transit visa in Tashkent, as there is no embassy here in Kyrgystan.

Any suggestions what to do around Bishkek, while waiting for my visas? (I even went to a football match yesterday...) I like mountains and snowboarding but it's probably to late for wintersports and too early for hiking now, mid April...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Visas for Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan - Iran on the road

Postby steven » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:56 am

Visa plan sounds good. The lower reaches of Ala Archa should be ok for hiking now. What to do in Bishkek is a typical issue, I need to work on a guide for that. Let me know if you found something particularly enjoyable.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

stahlmann

Uzbekistan visa info - Bishkek

Postby stahlmann » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Here my report (German passport, no LOI):

Uzbek embassy in Bishkek closed on Mondays but you can still call them for an appointment (3pm to 5pm), which is what I did. The lady speaks English.

Got an appointment the following Wednesday at 10am. About 10 people waiting there and names were called up on list. I submitted visa form (print from there website and fill out before going there), my photo and b/w copy of main passport and Kyryz entry stamp page and was told to call back next Monday.

Finally got an appointment to pick up visa the following Thursday. Pay 105 USD.

The whole thing took 11 days, altogether.
0 x

stahlmann

Iran visa info - Bishkek

Postby stahlmann » Tue May 06, 2014 7:45 am

Before you go to Iran embassy apply for Iran LOI at ParsiaTravel agency on Sovietskaya 166 (it's a travel agent for Air Arabia and other airlines) They will ask you for details such as job and company address and itinery. You can choose which embassy you want to pick up visa later.

Normaly it takes 5 to 10 working days and cost just 10USD. After you receive code by e-mail from travel agency wait for another 3 working days to go to embassy, because they will not do anything there unless they receive their info from MFA in Iran as well.

Embassy will require:
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy of travel insurance
- 1 photo
- payment to be made at the Bank of Pakistan, about 15 min walking distance from embassy. 60 Euro for German passport (same day express for additional 30 Euro).

Staff at embassy very friendly and helpful, but I seemed that MFA in Tehran did not like me too much, because LOI took almost 3 weeks. A Canadian I met there at the same time got his LOI in 1 week.

So together with some holidays the whole thing took 4 weeks for me.
I should have choosen to pick up visa in Tashkent instead to continue my trip already.
0 x

midnight

Postby midnight » Sun May 11, 2014 11:30 am

Agree that getting visas in Bishkek for Uzbekistan & Iran is a good idea.The Turkmenistan visa in Tashkent will take about 5 days for a transit visa.They will want your passport so make sure you are given a slip with the photocopy of your passport stating awaiting a visa from the Turkmen Embassy. Otherwise you might be stuck in Tashkent for 5 days .The other thing is most hotels hold your passport during your stay in Uzbekistan with a photocopy the hotels will ask for payment in full at check in as well.The hotel chains that take credit cards you'll be alright outside the big cities in Uzbekistan its straight up cash.ATMs Are available in big cities.
0 x

Wickychicky

Postby Wickychicky » Thu May 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi,
We are hoping to do the same itin as Stahlmann from about August time.
I hope to get Iran and Uzbek visas in Bangkok (anyone know any reasons not to do that (for British and German passport holders)
then Tajik visa in Bishkek.

My specific question is now about Turkmen transit visa: will it work to do application for this in Dushanbe and pick up in Tashkent? We'll have just completed the Pamir Highway, so it doesn't seem like a good use of time to hang around Dushanbe for a week or more….

Thanks
Helen
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 pm

should be ok. uzbek visa in bangkok I believe I also have an embassy report on the visa page, check it out, a bit old maybe.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Wickychicky

Postby Wickychicky » Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 am

Tx Steven,
I'd read the embassy report then double checked the embassy website.
In there it says for Brits, and some others, they do the simplified process which takes 2 working days, excluding the day you submit the application. And thn it wasn't 100% clear if they wnted an LOI or not.
Wrote them an email and stupidly asked 2 questions and got the reply 'yes please' ;-)
Waiting to see if they reply again.
Will send an update after we've applied in about a month.

You're site's looking great, by the way. Everyone we meet overlanding has been appreciative of the info here, thanks!
0 x

boleta

Postby boleta » Wed May 28, 2014 8:45 am

Hello,

We are a couple from Catalonia (with Spanish passport) that we are travelling the silk road from Beijing to Istanbul.

Just we have applied the Iran visa here in Beijing. Previously (one month ago in Mongolia) we use Iranianvisa agency to get the electronic code from the MFA. First of all, we paid the standard service (50 euros each one) but some days later finally we decide to paid the express service (42 euros more each one). We didn't want to spend a lot of days in Beijing.

So, two weeks later we had received the electronic code by email, we went to the Iran embassy in Beijing. It was on Monday (19/05/2014). There, the staff said us that they hadn't received our electronic code but they gave us all the documents that we needed to fill. We only needed the electronic code, application form, two photos and two fingerprints card. The staff is really friendly and helpfully.

For the fingerprints card you have to go to the Chinese public notary, (open from Monday to Friday between 9:30-11:30 and 13:30-16:30). Usually, you can pick up the fingerprints one week later. We said that it was impossible for us and we could pick up two days later. They speak English and the fingerprints card costs 200 Yuan's for person.

We mailed iranianvisa agency in order to they'd complain to MFA our electronic code. We received a new electronic code the same week, on Friday. So, the next Monday, one week later, we came back again to the embassy and we could apply the visa, which costs 525 Yuan's (60 euros) and 5 working days or 788 Yuan's (90 euros) and 2 working days. You only can pay the service with Chinese credit card. We don't have Chinese credit card but many Chinese people offers us their credit car and we gave them our cash in Yuan's. We picked up our passport on Wednesday 28th.

Now, we are applying for Uzbekistan visa in Beijing too. At the end, we will do the report.
0 x

stahlmann

Postby stahlmann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:41 pm

I think getting the Iran visa in Bishkek is much easier than in Beijing. Probably I was just unlucky that I had to wait long time for the LOI code from MFA in Tehran.

Anyway, here is my report how it went on:
After getting my Uzbek and Iran visa in Kyrgystan I went to Uzbekistan. Unfortunately, because of the long waiting time for Iran visa with my Uzbek visa already running, I had only 5 days left on the Uzbek visa when I arrived in Tashkent.

Went to Turkmenistan embassy on a Monday morning at 6 am. Nothing new there: Inofficial list with 10 people on it already. Police at embassy entrance will collect passports at about 8:30 am to write down the names. More than 30 people on the list at this time. When People with Turkmen passport arrive, they get in before everyone else. Took more than 1 hour before Turkmen family came out again. After watching this for a while I gave up and changed my plans:

I took a taxi to the Afghanistan embassy in the northern part of Tashkent. Arrived after closing time but very polite embassy staff took my application form and I got an Afghanistan 6-days transit visa for 31 USD the next day. I needed:
- 1 passport photo
- copies of my Uzbek and Iran visa as proof that I'm on transit
Also they wanted to see some others stamps in my passport, proving that I'm really a tourist... no problem for me :D .

Met a Dutch guy who couldn't get the Afghan visa there just one week before. They told him he need to apply in his home country. But not sure if he asked for tourist visa and not transit, as I did (with German passport).
0 x