Embassy reports: Afghanistan Visa in Khorog

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
TJEFF

Re: Afghan tourist visa in Khorog

Post by TJEFF »

Afghan consulate in Khorog now specifies on the visa that you can ONLY go to Wahkan corridor. Apparently Dushanbe got mad at them cause tourists were getting the visa in Khorog and using it to cross to Mazari Sharif. This new rule started last month.
1 x

mochiladestino

Re: Afghan tourist visa in Khorog

Post by mochiladestino »

@TJEFF how do they specify? I have a friend from Italy that got his visa in Khorog (June/2018) and traveled to Kabul (crossing the border at Ishkoshim).

Any other update?
0 x

togreiser

Re: Embassy reports: Afghanistan Visa in Khorog

Post by togreiser »

Hi,

Does anyone have any updates from 2019?
0 x

travelerthomas

Post by travelerthomas »

So what's the current status on this border? Full-on Afghan Visas granted or only permits for the Wakhan corridor?

anyone in the know?
0 x

tokyodom

Post by tokyodom »

Confirmed from sources on the ground that Afghan consulate in Khorog is currently not issuing visas.
2 x

ccc

Post by ccc »

travelerthomas wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:13 pm
So what's the current status on this border? Full-on Afghan Visas granted or only permits for the Wakhan corridor?

anyone in the know?
The border still closed for tourists.

ventureforthphoto wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 pm
Got my Afghan visa here in Khorog this morning, and was surprised that the price for US passport holders has jumped to $220, plus $50 “urgent” fee to get it in an hour rather than two days. There didn’t seem to be any room for negotiation on the fee.
@ventureforthpoto may I ask which documents they needed to get Afghan tourist visa there?
In some Afghan Embassies You need:

For Tourist Visas additional documents are required (Invitation letter from a sponsor/Tour company, confirmed flight and accommodation bookings, travel insurance, bank statement with sufficient funds covering the travel and stay in Afghanistan)
1 x

561durden

Post by 561durden »

ccc wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:10 pm
travelerthomas wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:13 pm

anyone in the know?
The border still closed for tourists.

ventureforthphoto wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 pm
Got my Afghan visa here in Khorog this morning, and was surprised that the price for US passport holders has jumped to $220, plus $50 “urgent” fee to get it in an hour rather than two days. There didn’t seem to be any room for negotiation on the fee.
@ventureforthpoto may I ask which documents they needed to get Afghan tourist visa there?
In some Afghan Embassies You need:

For Tourist Visas additional documents are required (Invitation letter from a sponsor/Tour company, confirmed flight and accommodation bookings, travel insurance, bank statement with sufficient funds covering the travel and stay in Afghanistan)
Hi mate, can you confirm Khorog land border from tajik-afghan is still closed as of Today (23 - june - 2021)? What is the source of your information? Was looking to go this way soon so will save me a whole lot of time!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

From Jan Chipchase's newsletter:

The convenient Khorog consulate in Tajikistan is no-longer an option as it was destroyed by an avalanche or perhaps “avalanche” given that the local government has a frosty relationship with the Taliban.

However, after the flux of the past few years, things appear to be relatively settled. The very remote Wakhan has been peaceful since pre-Soviet invasion.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

marimarek

Post by marimarek »

Hi all,

Does anyone have up-to-date information on Afghan tourist visa options in Khorog? Is it still possible? Is it still possible within 1 business day?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

September 2023

Crossposting from viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13085&start=10

My Wakhi guide Ibrahim told me that yesterday the border crossing at Ishkashim just reopened.

He also said that he thinks the consulate in Khorog is going to reopen and start issuing visas soon, but I would not trust that until it is confirmed by someone
On the ground in Khorog.

November 2023

Afghan Consulate in Khorog reportedly operates under supervision of Taliban
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D