Embassy report: Chinese visa in Vientiane

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Chinese visa in Vientiane

Postby steven » Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 am

Please read and post reports on the embassy of China in Vientiane below.

We summarize all info on the China visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

judefoon

Embassy report: Chinese visa in Vientiane

Postby judefoon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi,
Heading overland to Central Asia by bicycle from Australia. I thought I would share our China visa information as well as I have found other people's useful in the past. We applied in Vientiane, Laos. It cost $64 US for 2 30 day tourist visa's and took 4 days (I think faster is available). We needed - passports, 1 passport photo, visa form, copy of bank statements, copy of travel insurance, 2 weeks worth of hotel bookings (cancelled once the confirmation letter was printed) and an itinerary. We went a bit over the top with the itinerary and it seemed to pay off. We included details about where we would stay, trains we would take and tourist sites we would see. To keep it simple we chose about a week in 4 different cities. We stated we would be taking a bus from Luang Prabang to Kunming and then one from Nanning to Hanoi. We did not need to present any proof of this. We also did not need a letter from our employer stating we had jobs and would be returning to them, although we did have them just incase (I have read this can be a requirement). It was much less stressful than we anticipated! Hope this helps for anyone in a similar situation.
0 x

pigafetta

Chinese visa in Vientiane

Postby pigafetta » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 am

From the Embassy reports' section (Southeast Asia):

April 2014: It cost $64 US for 2 30 day tourist visa’s and took 4 days (I think faster is available). We needed – passports, 1 passport photo, visa form, copy of bank statements, copy of travel insurance, 2 weeks worth of hotel bookings (cancelled once the confirmation letter was printed) and an itinerary. We went a bit over the top with the itinerary and it seemed to pay off. We included details about where we would stay, trains we would take and tourist sites we would see. To keep it simple we chose about a week in 4 different cities. We stated we would be taking a bus from Luang Prabang to Kunming and then one from Nanning to Hanoi. We did not need to present any proof of this. We also did not need a letter from our employer stating we had jobs and would be returning to them, although we did have them just in case (I have read this can be a requirement). It was much less stressful than we anticipated!

I confirm it works. 32 USD for a 30-days visa in a window-period of 90 days (Italian passport). Just a few nights of hotel bookings in the main cities where I plan to stop, no flight\bus ticket needed. I submitted a detailed itinerary as well as the other documents indicated in the above-mentioned post. I added photocopies of my previous Chinese visas, and a photocopy of my onward visa to Tajikistan. I Applied on a Wednesday, the visa was ready the next Monday. The embassy is in Watnak Road (south of Vientiane city centre) and it's open in the morning, 9.00 to 11.30. The ICBC bank where you have to pay is in Lane Xang Road, not far from the Patuxai (the Lao version of the arc de triomphe). They charge 1 USD for the service. Ciao ciao
0 x

michael

Chinese visa in Vientiane

Postby michael » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:08 am

April 2016: Danish guy got a 30 days Chinese visa in 4 working days for USD 32 (90 days duration). Documentation was airline tickets in/out of China and 3 hotel bookings (all cancelled afterwards) - no questions asked. I could have received it express in 2 days for USD 52.

NOTE: Two English citizens got a 60 days double entry visa for USD 100 (each I assume).
1 x

Jealgu

Re: Embassy report: Chinese visa in Vientiane

Postby Jealgu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Today a picked up my visa in Vientiane. I was starting to get worried after my rejections in HK and KL, but here everything went super easy.

Only thing annoying is getting to the embassy far from the city center. See google maps for the location. First time I tried to take a tuktuk. Due to the language barrier he dropped me at Wat si mu, although I showed the location on Google maps. So I had to walk for an hour or so. Same happened to another backpacker I met at the embassy. On the way back he directed me to the road you get to by turning right after exiting the building and going straight. Just flag down a minibus with some signs. Costs are 4000 kip. You get dropped at the central busstation which is more or less in the town centre. Due to the language barrier it would be hard to find the right bus on the way to the embassy. Let someone at your accomodation write where you want to go, or hire a bike.

The embassy is open from 900 till 1130. You can get an application form there to fill in. I handed in Passport plus a copy, a copy of my Laos visa, two photos, itinerary, hotel bookings and flight reservations. If my memory serves me right they only asked for flight reservations. I paid 52 dollar to pick up next morning. You have to go to ICBC to pay. It is far from the embassy. But as it is close to the city centre this is not as annoying as it sounds. It is 10 minutes walking north from Patuxay. Take the receipt with you getting the visa.

I only applied for single entry because I didnt want to press my luck as just before I got rejected in HK for already having spent three months in China studying the language on a F visa (which is for cultural exchange).
0 x

Jealgu

Postby Jealgu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Today a picked up my visa in Vientiane. I was starting to get worried after my rejections in HK and KL, but here everything went super easy.

Only thing annoying is getting to the embassy far from the city center. See google maps for the location. First time I tried to take a tuktuk. Due to the language barrier he dropped me at Wat si mu, although I showed the location on Google maps. So I had to walk for an hour or so. Same happened to another backpacker I met at the embassy. On the way back he directed me to the road you get to by turning right after exiting the building and going straight. Just flag down a minibus with some signs. Costs are 4000 kip. You get dropped at the central busstation which is more or less in the town centre. Due to the language barrier it would be hard to find the right bus on the way to the embassy. Let someone at your accomodation write where you want to go, or hire a bike.

The embassy is open from 900 till 1130. You can get an application form there to fill in. I handed in Passport plus a copy, a copy of my Laos visa, two photos, itinerary, hotel bookings and flight reservations. If my memory serves me right they only asked for flight reservations. I paid 52 dollar to pick up next morning. You have to go to ICBC to pay. It is far from the embassy. But as it is close to the city centre this is not as annoying as it sounds. It is 10 minutes walking north from Patuxay. Take the receipt with you getting the visa.

I only applied for single entry because I didnt want to press my luck as just before I got rejected in HK for already having spent three months in China studying the language on a F visa (which is for cultural exchange).
2 x

Asieparterre

Postby Asieparterre » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am

We got a single entry, 60 days visa in one day for 52$ each. You can get it the same day for 62$. The bank is very far away from the embassy and can be really busy. There were already 78 persons waiting when we got a ticket, so go there directly after you dropped your application, it closes early. You can pay in USD or in kip. No credit card payment possible and the ATM inside the bank didn't work with our Visa card.

At the embassy, we gave :
Passeport (no photocopy needed)
The form (you can print it in advance or fill it there)
2 ID photos
Plane tickets (fake)
Hotel bookings (free canceling)
We had bank papers and ask the guy if he wanted them, he took them but you can get the visa without it.

To go there, you can take the bus 103 (goes every 30 minutes) from the central bus station and explain you want to go to the chinese embassy near Vat Nak. The driver was very cool each time and dropped us at the nearest intersection he could.
2 x

Mikolaj

Postby Mikolaj » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:12 am

I picked up my visa in February.

I got visa in Poland but only for 3 months. It was 1 week to short for me (I was cycling from Vietnam to Poland and passed the Chinese-Pakistani border in the middle). I applied in Bangkok again but was not granted - do not even try to apply there if you are not a resident/worker.

I took a bus to Vientiane. I applied in the morning. In front of the Embassy there were rikshaws waiting so I took one to the bank to pay. Next I used time and slowly walked back to the Embassy (its only few kilometres). I gave them the proof from the bank that I paid $62 and they gave me visa. ery easy, very cheap. I recommend!

Mikołaj
2 x

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:45 am

I was just planning our application for the Chinese visa at the embassy in Vientiane, and came across several recent comments (August/September 2019) that they ask now for a valid work permit in Laos if you want to apply - meaning that it's no longer possible for travellers!! Can anyone confirm that information??

Original posts (in the respective comment sections):
https://cycloscope.net/chinese-visa-vientiane-laos
https://careerbreakadventures.com/portf ... iane-laos/

Seems like one less option for overlanders to get the Chinese visa... :(
0 x