Report: Russian Tourist Visa in Ulaanbaatar

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
HesterGr

Re: Report: Russian Tourist Visa in Ulaanbaatar

Post by HesterGr »

We're 2 Dutch passport holders an we tried obtaining a tourist visa in UB but this is not possible (anymore). We even showed the story of Loes on this forum to the consul and he was a bit confused. But in the end we could really only apply for a transit visa. You'll be able to apply for a tourist visa when you've got a residence permit for Mongolia.

Transit visa was nice and quick, but we only received 4 days to Kazakhstan. The other way around (Almaty-UB) we received 10 days.
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Hi Hester, that is a shame. Just like Loes, we got it there as well, a bit more than one year ago.
It seems like the text has changed a bit on the website, not including Netherlands in the list of countries who don't need a residence permit.
See: https://mongolia.mid.ru/en_GB/consular

The Transit visa is normally depending on the distance that needs to be travelled. You can do it in 4 days, but if you wanted to enter Kazakhstan further to the west, it might not be enough.

At the Mongolia Russia border, you can just sleep there, right at the border. We did that to (after entering late).
For you that would mean entering early in the morning, so you get a whole day of travelling.

Good luck.
0 x

Mignon_travels

Russian Tourist Visa in Ulaanbaatar - November 2019

Post by Mignon_travels »

Hey guys, we (Italian citizens) got the Russian visa in Ulaanbaatar in November 2019 and it was extremely easy and straightforward. If you want to have a bit more of information (cost, timetables, etc), have a look at our article:

https://mignontravels.com/how-to-get-ch ... d-to-know/
1 x

Mr.Chandelier

Post by Mr.Chandelier »

HesterGr wrote:
Transit visa was nice and quick, but we only received 4 days to Kazakhstan. The other way around (Almaty-UB) we received 10 days.
Hi there, was wondering if you applied for the Transit visa at home or on the road? Looking to see if it is possible to obtain one on the road if anyone has heard of that ever happening? Thanks!
0 x

appelyoghurt

Post by appelyoghurt »

Can someone confirm if it really isn't possible anymore for people from nations that aren't of the long-term registration list (in my case the Netherlands) to get a visa in Ulan Bator?
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

appelyoghurt wrote:Can someone confirm if it really isn't possible anymore for people from nations that aren't of the long-term registration list (in my case the Netherlands) to get a visa in Ulan Bator?
If you are still at home, you can look into getting a Business visa, which lasts longer and has more entries, depending on type.
0 x

whereskyle

Russia Visa in UB Mongolia

Post by whereskyle »

Has anyone gotten a Russian tourist or transit visa in Ulaanbaatar Mongolia this year? I'm a US citizen so I don't qualify for the new e-visa. I also don't like in Mongolia, I hear sometimes you need the 90 day residency proof? If bare minimum, I just need a 2 or 3 day transit visa to get to Kazakhstan with my motorcycle from Mongolia. Any help would be appreciated!
0 x

TulaCosmoline

Re: Russia Visa in UB Mongolia

Post by TulaCosmoline »

I've been on a wild goose chase for 4 months trying to find a place where it's possible to apply for a Russian visa.

After visiting the embassies and visa centers in many countries and doing probably over a hundred hours of research, the conclusion seems to be that it is completely impossible to get a Russian visa in any country where you don't permanently reside.

The general rule is that they either demand a residence permit or a visa longer than 3 months, but in the countries where a visa longer than 3 months is considered sufficient, there actually are no visas with such a duration except for work visas.

You can read reports on this forum of people getting Russian visas while traveling, but that's because the rule was poorly enforced prior to the start of the full-scale conflict. After February 2022 it's not possible anywhere, as far as I can tell.

This is all with regards to tourist visas. About transit visas I don't know, it might be different.

As of march of this year, all visas issued by Russia and Belarus are for the "Union State". Meaning, as a last ditch resort, you could apply for a visa at a Belarusian visa center and you will be issued the exact same visa that a Russian consulate would issue, with all the same rights to enter and stay in Russia. But, unfortunately, Belarusian invitation letters are laughably expensive.
1 x