South Ossetia visa Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
jelger

Re: South Ossetia from North Ossetia

Post by jelger »

Thanks for this.

Yes, the SO authorities are still seeking to unite with NO (they call it "re-unite", which is historically incorrect), but the green light for a referendum on that is still not given by the Kremlin, which is what the leadership of SO implies in comments when asked about repeated postponement. It looks like the Kremlin has opted for steps of de facto annexation through ways that have less risk of creating headlines in the world (in other words, staying below the radar, and implementing other facts on the ground).

Such as fully integrating the immigration zone, removing actual border checks, and parallel to that increasing "border security" at the administrative boundary line SO-Georgia.
2 x

trabuccoitalia

Post by trabuccoitalia »

Anyone with fresher news on current border situation and what is needed to enter South Ossetia?
I have a multiple entry Russian visa...
Thanks!
0 x

jelger

Post by jelger »

If you haven't done already, I would advise you to check this page (bottom half, for foreign passport holders), and use the contact details in the bottom for further enquiries.

http://www.mfa-rso.su/taxonomy/term/13

As far as I know this still stands.

According to this news report of just over 2 weeks ago, there is still a document/passport check at the border - but in this case in th edirection of getting back into Russian Federation.
http://www.nykhas.ru/479197/cherez-kpp- ... pytalas-p/
1 x

eurasiaoverland

Post by eurasiaoverland »

I drove across and back in 2010; at that time there was a Russian border control at Nizhny Zarmag on the Russian side. There was also a pretty informal border post on the RSO side.

I had been in contact with a member of the MFA in Tskhinval beforehand and had permission to enter; the guy at the RSO border post called through to confirm that I had permission.

Are you saying that there is now no Russian border control at Nizhny Zarmag? I find this very surprising.
0 x
Almost six years and a quarter of a million kilometres by road in Eurasia: http://eurasiaoverland.com

trabuccoitalia

Post by trabuccoitalia »

Got no answers after writing to MFA.
The Vadim guy that is mentioned on the caravanistan website asked me 759€ for a South Ossetian tour.
Another company, Caucasus explorer asked me 500$ per day...
Crazy...
1 x

PhilipZheng

Re: South Ossetia visa

Post by PhilipZheng »

Hi all!
June 2018 - South Ossetia still has border control and travelers with no permit will get rejected.

I hold Chinese passport with fanid during Russian World Cup. I successfully passed Russian border control and cross the tunnel, but there were still border control from South Ossetia side. Since I have no permit from MFA, I got denied at the border and had to drive back to Russia. At Russian border, they cancelled my last departure and gave back my former immigration card.

It seems a permit in advance is still very much needed.
2 x

mnfiveb

Post by mnfiveb »

trabuccoitalia wrote:Got no answers after writing to MFA.
The Vadim guy that is mentioned on the caravanistan website asked me 759€ for a South Ossetian tour.
Another company, Caucasus explorer asked me 500$ per day...
Crazy...
Omg, are they really crazy? It will be cheaper to go to North Korea :shock:
0 x

JnKln

Post by JnKln »

Answer from the MFA:
Entry to the Republic of South Ossetia is performed only through the territory of the Russian Federation.

For citizens of states the Russian Federation established visa regime with:

At least valid double-entry Russian visa is required for entering the Republic of South Ossetia.

Entrance to the territory of the RSO is performed upon invitation obtained by private individuals (relatives), citizens of the Republic, or by legal bodies and organizations registered on territory of the Republic (invitations for tourists or business visitors).

Standard invitation letters are submitted to the Consular Agency of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of South Ossetia from the inviting party.

Consideration period for invitations - 10 to 30 calendar days.

Consideration period for invitations to foreign visitors coming to conduct business activity – 30 calendar days.

- Jan
2 x

jelger

Post by jelger »

That is exactly the text in the link above :D http://www.mfa-rso.su/taxonomy/term/13

Good to know that page is still up to date.
0 x

jelger

Re: South Ossetia visa

Post by jelger »

That's right.
0 x