Visa on arrival in Iran: Reports and Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Visa on arrival in Iran: Reports and Q&A

Post by bwv812 »

0 x

miczel

Post by miczel »

On 15-11-2019 at around 3am I've attempted to get a VOA at the international airport in Tehran asking for 4-5 weeks and after 4h of waiting I got only 1 week with no extension possibility.

The officer was giving me several reasons for that, however, I didn't find many of them very convincing. The main reason was that it's against their policy and there is nothing he can do about it. He said that, as I have already stayed in Iran before for 3 months, this time I would need to apply in advance via embassy providing a detailed itinerary with all ho(s)tel reservations etc., or apply via host (no idea how). He explained that 3 months in Iran should be enough to see the whole country (really?). He said that normally they shouldn't let me in but they did an exception for me. Well, this is good but still far to less for what I have planned in Iran. He added that the fact that I'm staying in a private flat of an Iranian friend makes my application even weaker. They even called my host couple of times (between 4-7am!) asking questions about me, my plans, our relation but I guess they could only learn that I'm, indeed, just an innocent tourist without bad intentions. I also didn't have a departure flight booked. My explanation that I couldn't book the flight as I didn't know for how long I will get the visa didn't seem to help. Moreover, I travelled directly from USA which might be not without importance, even though they didn't ask me anything about my trip to the states.

I should also mentioned that my answer to a state-of-the-art question about my reasons to come to Iran was practicing yoga, learning Persian at Dehkhoda institute and visiting Iranian friends. It may, indeed, sound more like living in Tehran rather than travelling in Iran. I didn't know that could be a reason for giving me such short visa. It does make some sense to me now but should they really care what my plans are as long I'm not against the law, traditions etc.? Since when travelling means only moving from one city to other city, sleeping in hotels, taking selfies at touristic places etc.? I guess it's all about politics and where politics kicks in the reason is out ;) In fact, when Iranians intend to travel the world they get into so much troubles with obtaining visas. Maybe Iranian MFA just tries to bring some Hammurabi style just into this crazy little world we live in?

However, just before I got my passport back after 4 hours of waiting since my arrival another officer said that I can extend the visa in Migration Police Department (more information here: https://caravanistan.com/visa/iran/extensions/#tehran) and I don't need to prepare anything special. Just to go there a day before my visa expires. It made me even more confused but gave some hope. I was quite surprised by the problems I run into. I really hope I can still extend my visa for additional 30 days or so as I have planned the whole month in Iran already.

Do you have any suggestions for my next interview (probably November 21)? What should I prepare or what should I explain to them. Any hints greatly appreciated.

There have been another post describing similar problem with re-entering Iran: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3627#p14064
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Telling him that you planned to stay with Iranian friends and naming them seems like a great way to get those friends in trouble with the authorities.
3 x

miczel

Post by miczel »

bwv812 wrote:Telling him that you planned to stay with Iranian friends and naming them seems like a great way to get those friends in trouble with the authorities.
Unfortunately, you might be right but I wasn't aware of it before coming. Even my host said he did this multiple times for his previous guests and he haven't have problems so far (I guess, he still does not have). And when I was applying for visa last time I also provided an Iranian friend and it went through smoothly. It seems to me that there are no rules, sometimes it's ok, sometimes not. Nevertheless, I will definitely use some ho(s)tels instead of private persons next time when I travel to Iran.
0 x

Nicoit

Post by Nicoit »

Hi,
Is it still possible to get VOA without any kind LOI/Application/paper?
The e-visa website rejected me, stating that i have to "apply with an agency"
The agency was supposed to need 3 days to obtain my visa but its almost 10 days that i'm waiting right now.
I'm running out of time and i would like to visit Iran as soon as possible...
0 x

waterbeerwall

Post by waterbeerwall »

Hi, I just want to report that it is no longer possible to get a visa on arrival in Iran. Despite all the information available online saying otherwise, you need an evisa.

You can however pick the evisa up at the airport, but you need to get the visa before you travel. This only saves you a trip to the embassy.

The system the airlines use says visa on arrival is only possible in Mashad, but this is also not possible.
0 x

ELTomate

Post by ELTomate »

waterbeerwall wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:56 am
Hi, I just want to report that it is no longer possible to get a visa on arrival in Iran. Despite all the information available online saying otherwise, you need an evisa.

You can however pick the evisa up at the airport, but you need to get the visa before you travel. This only saves you a trip to the embassy.

The system the airlines use says visa on arrival is only possible in Mashad, but this is also not possible.
Hello waterbeerwall. Can you please share your source. I'm planning a lisbon - pasquistan car trip and this information is super useful. Thanks.
0 x