3 visas in Baku (Kazakh, Uzbek, Tajik) - easiest way

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
tom

3 visas in Baku (Kazakh, Uzbek, Tajik) - easiest way

Post by tom »

Hi,
I'm a Brit planning to apply for Kazakh, Uzbek, and Tajik visas in Baku, before taking the boat over to Aktau.

I've allowed 7 days to get all 3, which I'm now thinking is pretty tight. Is there an optimal order to apply (eg is there one where you have to leave a passport, which I should leave till last?), or shall I just turn up at each in turn and go with the flow?

Thanks for any advice,
Tom
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: 3 visas in Baku (Kazakh, Uzbek, Tajik) - easiest way

Post by steven »

Go for the Kazakh first, this will take the longest (assuming you have an LOI for Uzbekistan). If they let you keep your passport, you can get all 3 in the space of 4 days, with luck (reading the last embassy reports.).
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

tom

Post by tom »

Hi Steven,

Many thanks for the quick response. I was considering applying for the Uzbek visa without LOI, but I may reconsider based on my deadline and the cost of staying in Baku. I'll make my decision in the next few days, and may well be in touch again.

Great website!
0 x

noflytripping

Post by noflytripping »

Tom - what dates (approx) are you looking at for this trip? I'll be attempting the same thing sometime later this month hopefully.
0 x

Laura P.

Post by Laura P. »

Hi all, just to share our visa waiting times in Baku about 8 weeks ago:

Uzbekistan - 7 days
Tajikistan - 3 days
Kazakhstan - 1 day

The Kazakhi visa was the fastest and easiest to get, the Tajik embassy will give you a a 'letter of request' which you basically rewrite on a piece of paper and sign and the Uzbeki necessitated no LOI at all. The Uzbekhi consul was the friendliest but, alas, despite all his promises it still took 7 days for the visa to be approved.

If you do want to save yourself time & money (something I wish we'd known when we were there) do note that if you contact Taher (his details are on the visa pages) you can email him copies of your documents and he can apply for you (for all three) and have the visas ready for you to pick up on the day you arrive. I believe he charges $10 extra on each visa but considering how expensive accommodation is in Baku this is definitely $$ worth paying.

Hope this helps
Laura
0 x

tom

Post by tom »

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply - I wasn't subscribed to the thread.

I got my visas all without LOIs in the end.

1st Uzbek. Applied Weds PM with no LOI. Collected Thurs AM on a day the consulate was not officially open (8 days, 6 working). The day I collected was also a public holiday in Azerbaijan. This is the visa that felt like it was going to take a long time right from the start, and I only got it when I did because I visited several times during the week to gently make sure I wasn't forgotten. 75USD payable to a bank near fountains square. I was initially told not to pay until I'd received an email, which is why I visited several times - I wanted to be told face to face not wait for someone to get around to sending an email. I never did get the email.

2nd Kazakh. Applied Thurs AM with no LOI. Collected Tuesday AM (5 days, 3 working). 30USD payable to the same bank near fountains square.

3rd Tajik. Applied Thurs PM with no LOI. Collected Tuesday AM (5 days, 3 working). 35USD payable directly to the consulate. Take the right money as change will probably not be available. You can get 100USD notes broken smaller at the same bank as you pay money into for the other visas.
0 x

Linda

Post by Linda »

Swiss passport, May 2015:

Uzbekistan: 7 days (applied on Monday, got it on Monday) but with calling them several times if its ready now, no LOI, 75$ for 30 days, very funny & joking guy. You really have to be patient and insist on 7 days processing, otherwise you can wait much longer... Opening hours 10-12 and 15.30-17.00 but very flexible (we waited outside 1 hour, were let inside just before closing time, waited again for one hour, got the visa and walked out around 19.00)

Kazakhstan: 3 days (applied on Tuesday, got it on Friday), no LOI, 30$ +1$ for the bank for 30 days, very friendly and easy to deal with, opening hours like in the article

Tajikistan: 2 days (applied on Wednesday, got it on Friday), no LOI but with an application letter (the guy working in the embassy did dictate us), 35$ to pay directly in cash in the embassy for 45 days, no GBAO possible, very friendly and helpful (we even got a map of tajikistan), opening hours like in the article
0 x

Aleksi

Post by Aleksi »

Hello!

If I have properly understood, If I ask for an uzbek visa in Baku WITH a LOI, would the processing time be faster than without one? I can't wait a whole week in Baku :(

About this guy (Taher) that can go there before our arrival, isn't the original passport asked to apply to the visa? In that case I could also just ask a friend in Istanbul to drop by the consulate and to hand my documents with a copy of my passport (I leave tomorrow, sunday, to Baku)... The Istanbul consulate actually agrees to process your demand and send your visa directly to Baku, waiting your arrival there.
0 x