Entering Turkey and Georgia with ID for Schengen states citizens

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Post Reply
georgestravelsasia
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 am
x 4
x 33

Entering Turkey and Georgia with ID for Schengen states citizens

Post by georgestravelsasia »

It IS possible, I did it last August at Ipsala's border crossing (French ID card). They give you a piece of paper with a stamp on it to prove your date of entry. When crossing into Georgia (also possible with ID for Schengen states citizens) at Sarp I was not asked for a passport, the officers knew the rule (the ones on the Turkish side did not and told me I would be rejected for sure but they let me through anyway). They stamped at the back of the paper the Turkish had given me.
When exiting Georgia to Armenia (Sadkhlo-Bagratashen) I had made a passport in between in Tbilisi. I showed both the ID, the passport and the paper at the border guard on the Georgian side. It was a bit of a hassle for him, but he asked me to wait for 15 minutes and it was all figured out.

Also my ID is pretty damaged, the edges are torn and stained with yellow ocre that I use for dying fabric, no one was ever bothered :D
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3862
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm
x 3238
x 458

Re: Entering Turkey and Georgia with ID for Schengen states citizens

Post by steven »

We know, this is what it says on the Georgia visa page as well. But thanks for your report!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm
x 43
x 90

Re: Entering Turkey and Georgia with ID for Schengen states citizens

Post by Crazydre »

georgestravelsasia wrote:It IS possible, I did it last August at Ipsala's border crossing (French ID card). They give you a piece of paper with a stamp on it to prove your date of entry. When crossing into Georgia (also possible with ID for Schengen states citizens) at Sarp I was not asked for a passport, the officers knew the rule (the ones on the Turkish side did not and told me I would be rejected for sure but they let me through anyway). They stamped at the back of the paper the Turkish had given me.
When exiting Georgia to Armenia (Sadkhlo-Bagratashen) I had made a passport in between in Tbilisi. I showed both the ID, the passport and the paper at the border guard on the Georgian side. It was a bit of a hassle for him, but he asked me to wait for 15 minutes and it was all figured out.

Also my ID is pretty damaged, the edges are torn and stained with yellow ocre that I use for dying fabric, no one was ever bothered :D
When exiting Georgia for Armenia, was your passport stamped by the Georgians? Curious to know if they'll place an exit stamp even without an entry stamp.

Also, not all EU citizens can enter Turkey with an ID. For example Swedes (like myself) officially cannot, but in practice they've always let me in on it (including at Sarp), except once when an officer (at Kapikule) didn't think it was me on the photo. Got a refusal letter saying in Turkish and English "THIS PERSON WAS REFUSED TO ENTER TURKEY FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS". There were checkboxes representing reasons for refusal, and the one that applied to me was "Impostor". Was stranded at freaking 2AM :lol:

Georgia, however, accepts all EU ID Cards, but when I crossed at Sarpi (twice, in July 2016 and April 2017) and the Red Bridge (July 2016), they had no idea and I had to show a government printout in Georgian at Sarpi. At the Red Bridge, I accidentally left it in the bus and so had to speak to the supervisor.
Last edited by Crazydre on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

georgestravelsasia
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 am
x 4
x 33

Re: Entering Turkey and Georgia with ID for Schengen states citizens

Post by georgestravelsasia »

Crazydre wrote:When exiting Georgia for Armenia, was your passport stamped by the Georgians? Curious to know if they'll place an exit stamp even without an entry stamp.
Yes they did stamp my passport I tried to let the officer know I would prefer him to use my ID to check me out but he spoke no English whatsoever, and it was already a hassle for him to figure out how to check me out in the system. I guess I could have just not shown my passport though, I was just concerned they'd ask for it since I need either that or an Armenian ID card to enter Armenia.
3 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm
x 43
x 90

Re: Entering Turkey and Georgia with ID for Schengen states citizens

Post by Crazydre »

georgestravelsasia wrote: I guess I could have just not shown my passport though, I was just concerned they'd ask for it since I need either that or an Armenian ID card to enter Armenia.
When I went on the Tbilisi-Baku night train, only having my ID card (I got the Azeri e-visa uploading a copy of it - front and back - instead of my passport) the Georgians at Gardabani train station were highly hesitant to let me exit, even after I showed them my e-visa and the Georgian text saying my ID is valid for Georgia. This was because they were convinced the Azeris would refuse me.

They eventually let me out though, and the Azeris let me in too (stamping the e-visa sheet)
3 x

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post