Embassy report: Mongolian visa in Ulan Ude, Russia

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Mongolian tourist visa in Ulan Ude, Russia

Post by steven »

Please post all your embassy reports and questions on the Mongolian embassy in Ulan Ude below.

We gather all travel intelligence on the Mongolia visa page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

golandy

Embassy report: Mongolian visa in Ulan Ude, Russia

Post by golandy »

Couldn't fine anything on here, so hopefully this is useful for anyone.
You can apply for a visa in Irkutsk and Ulan Ude at the Mongolian embassy. In Irkutsk they only offered quick processing, 24 hours for 70 dollars - don't know if that was just that day or if it's always like that. In Ulan Ude you can do quick (24 hours, 70 dollars) and normal (72 hours, 30 dollars).
The embassy opens at 10, we were there around 10,30 and took 45 minutes for the whole process of filling in the form, paying and waiting around. You pay 30 dollars, euro and rubel are accepted. The answer about closing: 'around twelve or one and maybe we open again at two but if you want to come here you should probably arrive before twelve' - so I would say, apply between 10-12 in the morning.
We (Duth passports) applied on Friday for the slow processing and could pick up on Monday, It surprised me they process during the weekend. You leave the passport at the embassy.

Picked up on Wednesday morning, took 5 minutes. Drove to the border (at Kyahkta). Visa was checked on Russian side. Left Russia, car was checked on Mongolian side, we're told to go to immigration, and there our valid visa gets DENIED. At 2.30 in the morning.

People are called, we're sent to a special office, more people are called, visa is checked, they pull out a calendar and start counting the days on our visa - 90 days to enter, 30 days to stay. After 15 minutes they explain that there is a problem with the date - which we still don't understand. We applied on 29 june (issue date) and could come in before 26 october (90 days later). Then we're given the same forms we filled out at the embassy and are made to apply for a new visa. The girls processing the visa had no clue what to do, they had to Google, call and get someone higher ranked to actually provide us with the 'new' visa. It only cost 3 dollars per person and about an hour waiting, but it was a very strange process.

So, yes, you can get a visa in Russia, but you might not be accepted at the border. :roll:
The new visa issued states nothing different (same numbers, same categories), except our exact entry date as the issue date, 5 july, and it's valid to enter before 3 october. Our first visa is stamped 'void'.

All in all, I would apply in Ulan Ude again, since Russia wouldn't have let us leave Russia without the (later declined) Mongolian visa, and we could sort of easily arrange a new visa at the border. I don't advise to try arranging a visa at the land border.
2 x

Martin Lasson

Post by Martin Lasson »

Hi

They didn't they ask for a invitation?
We are from sweden and on Swedish visa sites they say that you need a invitation to get a Mongolian visa.
Do you know anything about this?

All the best
Martin
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Martin Lasson wrote:Hi

They didn't they ask for a invitation?
We are from sweden and on Swedish visa sites they say that you need a invitation to get a Mongolian visa.
Do you know anything about this?

All the best
Martin
Best to check some non-Swedish sites. This one is really good I hear: https://caravanistan.com/visa/mongolia/

Europeans are usually not bothered with LOIs in Mongolia, so I think this is just outdated information you are reading in Swedish (but I do not have recent news from the Swedish embassy to be certain)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D