Chinese visa in Bishkek

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Chinese visa in Biskek

Post by steven »

Ha super, molodets! :-)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

richard747

Post by richard747 »

Wait... There have been changes. I've just been to Manas 40, where Sara told me that for the past two months, it has been difficult to get a Chinese visa quickly, apparently because of restrictions in the numbers that travel agents are allowed to process. This applies to Kyrgyz nationals and foreigners alike. I was told to expect a processing time of ten days...

I will see what I can do in the next few days to get the visa in less than ten days and will post an update here.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

thank you, updated.
0 x

richard747

Post by richard747 »

A recap of today's events. So far, nothing definite to report, but I think the word should get out that getting a Chinese visa in Bishkek is not as easy as it used to be and other options should be considered.

After being told by Sara at Manas 40 yesterday that it will take ten days to get the visa because of work load and restrictions, I thought I would apply on my own and would 'only' need a LOI for that, but apparently, there is more going on at the embassy and applying on your own is not the answer.

Miss Liu at Chuy 142 told me visas are now rarely approved for single travellers. Documents needed include a detailed travel plan, tickets, hotel reservations, proof of financial means, travel insurance, registration in Kyrgyzstan and LOI. The LOI's she used to include are no longer accepted and she now gets them by courrier from a travel agent in Beijing.

But the most unsettling thing is what was said in both agencies: many applications are now seemingly arbitrarily rejected.

To be continued...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Updated again :Sigh: Thank you for the information.
0 x

richard747

Post by richard747 »

An update. On Monday, I asked Sara to apply for a Chinese visa on my behalf. She seemed certain it could be done, in contrast to Miss Liu, who had greatly confused and discouraged me.

Today (Friday) I dropped in at Kyrgyz Concept (Chuy 126) to find out what they could tell me. Same list of required documents mentioned by Miss Liu (see previous post), plus an interview at the embassy (a colleague at Sara's office had told me that, too). Something else. I had entered Kyrgyzstan over a week ago, visa-free (Dutch passport) and therefore without the requirement to register. However, the Chinese need to see the registration stamp, and guess what: registering more than five days after entering Kyrgyzstan automatically entails a fine of more than 150 dollars... even for those who are not required to register by Kyrgyz law! By the way, the person I spoke to at Kyrgyz concept came across as very professional.

After this, I went to see Sara and ask her what, if anything, had been done for me so far. She was due back from the embassy and when she arrived, she first complained to her colleagues that the rules had changed again, and I heard her mention a справка с местa работы (proof of employment). She then turned her attention to a stack of Kyrgyz passports and ignored me. When a colleague asked her about my application, she waved her hand dismissively, avoided looking at me and said something in Kyrgyz. Her colleague, visibly embarrassed, translated for me: very sorry, we cannot process your application...

So as far as I'm concerned, that's it. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars and weeks of my time for another visa application, the outcome of which remains uncertain. There are few alternatives: I have already used up my Iranian, Turkmen and Uzbek visas, and there is no guarantee that an application in Kazakhstan will be swift and succesful. So I have decided to fly and avoid China altogether. Sorry, no more updates from me... I would like to hope that others have more luck than I did, but with three agencies in Bishkek telling me it has become very difficult to get a Chinese visa, I have to say: get your Chinese visa elsewhere, before you run out of options.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Sorry to hear that, Richard, there is always one who has to find out the hard way. Thanks for the detailed explanation, I hope we can avert the stream of cyclists heading to Bishkek in time.
0 x

Martin

Post by Martin »

When people are talking about possible difficulties is it simply that we might have to wait 10 days rather than 3 or 5?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

No, there is a much larger chance than brefore that you might be rejected.
0 x

Arno&Charlotte

Post by Arno&Charlotte »

Hi all!

We are two Dutch citizens traveling through Central Asia by car, towards China. We are now in Iran and afterwards we will drive through Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, before we plan to enter China. However, we need to obtain a Chinese and we are thinking about applying for a Chinese visa at the Chinese Embassy in Bishkek.

The latest post (by Richard) indicates that there have been changes. Could someone give us an update on the Chinese visa application procedure and turnaround time at the Chinese Embassy in Bishkek? All tips are very welcome! We want to obtain a Chinese double entry visa valid for 3 months.

Many thanks in advance!
0 x