Iranian Embassy in Yerevan, Armenia Report

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Iranian Embassy in Yerevan, Armenia Report

Postby steven » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Please read and post reports on the embassy of Iran in Yerevan below.

We summarize all info in the embassy reports on the Iran visa page.
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Myers3000

Iranian Embassy in Yerevan, Armenia Report

Postby Myers3000 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:34 am

Due to being rejected for an Iranian Visa earlier, (see this thread) I had to collect my visa from the Iranian Embassy in Armenia, the last stop before we enter the stans on our round the world trip.

I'm British.
We used Moj http://mojirantrip.com/ as our guide/general visa arranger. I recommend him:

The Iranian Embassy in Armenia opens from 9.15am to 13:00pm every day.

The consulate entrance is around the side from the main embassy. To get there, I suggest take a taxi from the train/bus station. It should cost around 1000 to 2000 Drams ($2 to $4).

I began queuing from 8.30am. No-one else joined me until 9.10am. About 5 of us were there before we entered. You enter and press the button for 'visa' on the ticket machine. The numbers are printed in Persian language (so http://www.omniglot.com/language/numbers/persian.htm. Or ask the guy at the gate).

I already had an MFA approved visa number which I provided to the lady at the counter, along with a passport photo, an insurance certificate, and a copy of my passport. Make sure you have all three.

She spoke ok English. Despite this, she said I had to complete the form again, pay 270 euros to get the visa back today, or 180 after one week. Which is shockingly expensive. You have to take a taxi (ask the guy at the gate to call one) to the bank (1000 drums). They speak good english - it was very quiet when I went. Then take a taxi back (walk back down the street to the taxi rank).

The benefit of the Iranian embassy in Armenia is it's very quiet and quick to get through. The downside is that the cost is ridiculously high. I protested, claimed it should be about 100 euros, but couldn't get anything cheaper.

I returned within about 30 minutes, went through the process again, and finally collected my visa.

If you have a lot of money, I recommend collecting your visa here. If not, Istanbul and most other places are probably much cheaper.
0 x

samandsheenacycle

Postby samandsheenacycle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Did you have to spend all your time in Iran with your guide? How much did this cost and how were you travelling?
0 x

Myers3000

Postby Myers3000 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:29 am

Did you have to spend all your time in Iran with your guide? How much did this cost and how were you travelling?

Since we booked with a tour operator, we spent most of the time with the guide. He had a car so that was useful in getting around. It cramped our style a little.

However, there were plenty of occasions where we wandered around without him. You can probably just ask your guide to let you explore by yourself for a few days.

Cost wise, we spent around 2500 euros for guide + hotel + transport for 17 days.

You can probably do it for cheaper.
0 x

alina

Postby alina » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

For the Iran section of this website it talks about needing a guide, but not an itinerary... almost like there are two tiers, one for the UK and Canada, and a far more strict one for USA. I have read that people who have taken a guide have not been checked at the border or during their trip, so could a guide be taken for just a few days then continue alone after? - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=594#sthash.CyxpnlaB.dpuf
0 x
alina

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:14 pm

As said by Myers3000, seems like you can do it. But don't know of anyone who has done that, so cannot recommend. At your own risk.
0 x

samandsheenacycle

Postby samandsheenacycle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:45 am

I gave up on my attempts, there does seem to be one or two loopholes or the chance of employing a willing guide to just meet me and have them for a few days to continue solo after but I'm not brave enough to risk potentially being caught at a later date and being considered suspicious because of it! There is the chance that the regulation news may 'filter through the system' and I'm not going to take the risk of being found to have done something not by the book.... going to wait in India until the start of next year and see if there is a change to the rules after the winter :(
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:15 am

"Waiting" in India does not seem too bad, right?
0 x

eurasiaoverland

Postby eurasiaoverland » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Brits pay such high fees wherever they apply. It has nothing to do with the embassy.

I got my visa same day this year (German passport) for EUR 75, for EUR 50 you have to wait one week.

For the first time in 5 visas (London, Bishkek, Islamabad (twice), Munich), I had to show proof of insurance. I bought the cheapest policy then cancelled it immediately after - the lady in the embassy just glanced at the sheet so I am sure you could just make it up.

Otherwise a great embassy to deal with.

31 days in Iran this July / August, driving my own car, camping and couchsurfing cost me about USD 200. Yes, two hundred :D
0 x
Almost six years and a quarter of a million kilometres by road in Eurasia: http://eurasiaoverland.com

Myers3000

Postby Myers3000 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:48 am

Echo that thought about making up insurance.

I gave her an insurance certificate that wasn't even valid for Iran. She just glanced at it and accepted it.
0 x