New visa information (Bishkek, Tj, Uz, Tk & Iran)

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Max

New visa information (Bishkek, Tj, Uz, Tk & Iran)

Postby Max » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:15 pm

There are many stories going around about visa applications and a lot of those reports have been very different from my own experiences so I thought I might add my story to the lot. IF YOU ARE CANADIAN, READING THIS MIGHT BE VERY HELPFUL.

Bishkek is not the best place nowadays to apply for visas IMO, Dushanbe is probably easier but less predictable. Btw, the latest lonely planet info is really out of date.

Iran visa - VERY IMPORTANT FOR CANADIANS or AMERICANS: If you do the visa in Bishkek (provided you have the reference number), they will ask you for a full medical certificate including HIV test, X-ray scan, Tuberculosis test, Blood samples, stool samples, etc. :shock: It's just to a diplomatic filter trick to piss you off. Most EU countries don't need to provide this. You can do the plethora of test in Bishkek but given the look of the HIV clinic I would strongly recommend you make those tests before leaving your home country.

Tajikistan visa: Applied in Bishkek. Got the visa in 10 minutes but they only gave 7 days for the GBAO permit. Not negotiable. Easy to extend in Khorog.

Uzbek visa: Tried applying in Bishkek without LOI, got denied (Canadian). Americans and British didn't even need one. The lady there is not nice. Applied in Dushanbe WITH LOI, the girl didn't care for it, even laughed at the sight of it. She was awesome. She made the visa for me in 5 minutes. :)

Turkmen visa: Very easy to do in Dushanbe. No need to deposit passport. Application process is fast. They can send you the transit visa authorization by email in 7 days. You have to specify where you intend to cross the border.

Again, this was my personal experience. It might help you or lead you astray. It seems like diplomatic procedures are changing every week in this part of the world. :roll:

Central Asia is amazing though once you get past the visa bureaucracy!!

Good luck!!

PS: Being Canadian is really bad for visas in this part of the world. Dear fellow Canadians, if you have a second passport, use it.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: New visa information (Bishkek, Tj, Uz, Tk & Iran)

Postby steven » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for the useful updates! It's normal that you got rejected without LOI, Canadians always need one.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

wheelsofmongloria

Postby wheelsofmongloria » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info.

I just had a question about your Turkmenistan transit visa applied for in Dushanbe.

Did they allow you to choose your borders? We want to enter from khiva or nukus and exit from Bajgiran.

We just went to the consulate in almaty and he will only grant a 3 day visa to drive between Farab and Sarakh. We need to actually go to the Bajgiran border to get our car into iran without the carnet.

Also we got our iran visa on the spot in almaty with authorisation code.

Many thanks
ASHLYN
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:07 pm

Personally haven't heard of an embassy that lets you choose your borders with a transit visa, but you can state your preference.
0 x

Max

Postby Max » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:44 pm

A quick update on the Turkmenistan visa to follow-up on my original post:

Until now, no matter how difficult, we were able to obtain all the visas we applied for. But unfortunately, we just learned today that Ashgabat denied our transit visa application for Turkmenistan. :shock:

We did everything correctly and they don't provide you with an explanation for their decision, I guess it's just one of those things that can happen. Be prepared.

We were already in Nukus waiting for the embassy's email and we'll have to go back to Tashkent to take an expensive flight to Tehran.

:cry:

Still, life is good!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:50 pm

It could be that they also did not know in advance, but it seems Turkmenistan is not letting in foreigners from 24th of October to 1st of November due to Independence Day.
0 x

Max

Postby Max » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 am

Thanks for the insight Steven, we actually applied in Dushanbe on the 29th of sept. and the transit dates were from the 15th to the 19th of oct. Maybe it was a little tight but the consul in Dushanbe assured us that everything was fine and that there would be no problem obtaining the visa.

But you're probably right, maybe they instated some kind of quota for the weeks surrounding independence day. With Turkmenistan, it seems like you never know what to expect.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:22 am

Indeed. The e-mail approach has failed in the past, though, so perhaps it's not because of the date, but simply because of the system. For future readers, waiting in Dushanbe is still the most fail-safe option.
0 x