Iran visa for UK passport holder

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
samandsheenacycle

Iran visa for UK passport holder

Postby samandsheenacycle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:54 am

Hi, sorry this is likely a very common question, but I really can't seem to find any up to date relevant information and I'm sure lots of people have obtained Iran visas this year.

UK passport holder, wanting to head through Iran on bikes in about 2 months. No idea how I missed the information about needing a guide that started in Feb this year.
Flexible with where to apply for the passport, but not had much luck in getting an auth. code as told that I need a guide.

Has anyone had luck in obtaining a visa somewhere without the code? I see people have managed this in Batumi and other locations, but they are not UK or it was over a year ago. Or can I hire a guide for just a few days then carry on travelling?
Clearly I can't afford a guide for the whole time there, any ways around this?

One loophole I have read about is being born outside of the UK... I was born in Germany, even though I am from the UK, anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks for any help.
Sam
0 x

Adrien Seg

Re: Iran visa for UK passport holder

Postby Adrien Seg » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 am

Hey Sam!
I was in Trabzon (Turkey) two months ago to get my visa. It's the easiest place on earth to get a visa to Iran, i got it in one day. There were a lot of people and as far as i remember i talked with a guy from UK touring the world with his bike. He had no code no invitation nothing (like all of us) but he seemed quite confident.
I'm really sorry but i don't know the end of the story because i didnt see him at the end of the day when we got back our passports (he might have come earlier to pick up the visa, or his request migt have been rejected, no idea).
So i'm not helping you so much, but anyway try to know more about Trabzon because it might be easier even for UK people.
Cheers from Tehran :)
Adrien
0 x

samandsheenacycle

Postby samandsheenacycle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Haha, you had me all excited and now I am just as uncertain! What passport are you travelling on? My girlfriend is Irish and she has no problems... plus it is a fraction of the price for any visa.

Mmmm. Any UK people had success recently in Trabzon?

Thanks for the info though :)
0 x

ian432

Postby ian432 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:30 pm

I am very interested in the outcome of your research as mine, so far, has been inconclusive or contradictory. I would prefer tourist visa so i could explore a bit, but transit would do
My planned trip is relatively easy... train from Ankara to Tehran, then Sarahks border cossing to Turkmenistan onwards to China, and ultimately Thailand....
0 x

samandsheenacycle

Postby samandsheenacycle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:23 pm

I have contacted a fairly extensive list of all the usual companies that issue the MFA code and they have all said it is not possible to obtain the code without having a guide. However, as the chap above says, there are embassies/consulates that don't require the MFA code, although trying to find out if this is possible for us is difficult!

For the Iran section of this website it talks about needing a guide, but not an itinerary... almost like there are two tiers, one for the UK and Canada, and a far more strict one for USA. I have read that people who have taken a guide have not been checked at the border or during their trip, so could a guide be taken for just a few days then continue alone after?

Really throws a spanner in the works, but I don't believe that all British people have been prevented from travelling overland independently this summer. Seems crazy!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Pls keep us up to date! I don't have enough information to state an opinion with any degree of certainty.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Myers3000

Postby Myers3000 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:25 am

Hi,

I'm a UK passport holder, my wife is Lithuanian. We spent 2 weeks in Iran in September.

I did a lot of research on this and asked around. This is what I learned.

If you're British/Canadian/American they don't issue an MFA unless you've booked with a tour agency. Some said this was a big scam by all the tour operators. This could be true, but I couldn't find a single agency that would issue a LOi to the people of the 3 countries above without booking a tour.

I was told this is because Iran is worried about something happening to tourists from these 3 places causing problems with nuclear talks, which could be true. Thus they want them on guided tours to keep them 'safe'.

However, no-one at the border checked we had a guide and during our stay there wasn't a moment where any police or hotels wanted to see proof we were part of a tour. So you just need it to get across the border then you could, theoretically, dismiss your guide.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks, I will add this to the article.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

samandsheenacycle

Postby samandsheenacycle » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for your reply... My partner is Irish so does not need it, frustrating that I require a guide!

So what did you do? Did you book a guide for your two weeks? Who did you use and how much did you pay for this?

One agency has stated that there is one loophole, those born outside the UK but with a British passport may be able to get the code, especially if they have a name that sounds as if they come from there. I was born in Germany and have a German surname (even though I am from the UK with British parents). The problem is they have quite a high cost for the MFA code and it seems like an unlikely long shot and Im not sure I want to risk it.

Thanks again for your reply.
0 x

samandsheenacycle

Postby samandsheenacycle » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Sorry, just read your response in the other post! Thanks :)
0 x