Iran -driving through with own vehicle and getting a visa

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
jill

Iran -driving through with own vehicle and getting a visa

Postby jill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Last year we drove through Iran with our own vehicle. It was unbelievably hard to get a visa evidently due to having our own car. Firstly, we were told we had to have a guide with us, non negotiable, 2nd, getting the LOI and Visa code took almost 2 months. at a point we almost gave up. Luckily we didn't as IRan was absolutely superb and the time there wonderful beyond our wildest expectations.
This year I contacted a highly recommended Iranian company ( a different one to last time) as we may have a chance to return and again they said we needed to tell the MFA we would be in our own car and need a guide. We did not see any other westerners in their own cars when we were there and thus have no one to ask.
Any input would be marvelous. Many thanks!
0 x

Myers3000

Re: Iran -driving through with own vehicle and getting a vis

Postby Myers3000 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:09 am

Can't help much except to say we saw a few westerns riding motorcycles across Iran. So it might be possible to bring your own car.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:11 am

Check this thread. Writing a Driving Iran post is on the to do list, though.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=583
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

eurasiaoverland

Postby eurasiaoverland » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:44 pm

I shall copy my reply from another thread:

It is NOT necessary to have a guide to drive around Iran (as long as you are travelling with a passport other than US, UK or Canada - this is a separate issue).

Visa invitation agencies have started to insist on a guide in order to issue a visa authorisation number (which one then takes to the embassy to get a visa). This is, according to an inside contact, not an official rule of the Iranian MFA, but seems to be one coming from the agencies.

The simple way around this is NOT TO TELL the inviting agency that you will be bringing in a vehicle.

If you have a valid visa, you can enter at the border with your vehicle. Think about it - do you think every Turkish, Kazakh, Turkmen, Iraqi etc etc etc truck driver is taking a guide with them across the country??? Nonsense!

I speak from recent experience too. In June 2014 I entered Iran with my car at Pol (from Turkmenistan) and exited 31 days later at Jolfa (to Azerbaijan). No guide and no problems. In October 2014 I entered Iran with my car at Nordooz (from Armenia) and exited 10 days later at Beshmaq (to Iraq), no guide and no problems. Both times I had a carnet de passage.

And another note YOU DO NOT NEED A FUEL CARD FOR PETROL OR DIESEL

Both petrol and diesel are sold freely without a card - ask at the pump 'azad'. You pay a higher price (still cheap of course). I am not sure about petrol prices, but diesel (October 2014) is 500 tomans per litre free price (half that with a card). The pump attendant will produce a card and sell it to you at this price with no fuss. Very occasionally there are petrol stations which do not have their own car, in which case you can either go and find another, or wait for a truck / bus driver to come and let you use his (he may ask for a small consideration).

One further tip.... avoid the main Turkey - Iran border at Gurbulak / Bazargan. There are two other borders which one can use - Razi (from Van) and Sero (from near Hakkari) which are much easier.
0 x
Almost six years and a quarter of a million kilometres by road in Eurasia: http://eurasiaoverland.com

jill

Postby jill » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks for the great info! if we are not going to say we are driving our own car, what do we say on the visa application forms - about flight details? (we are driving through Iran on our way from India to the UK:). We do not have air tickets into and out of Iran. and we do not want to select an itinerary- eg on some of the Agency's requirements..... wondering what you did about this?
kind wishes
Jill
0 x

jill

Postby jill » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:44 am

http://touranzamin.com/en/?page_id=245

this is a reputable company and on their visa page- they have this warning-
this is why i am hesitant!
0 x

jill

Postby jill » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:48 am

http://en.key2persia.com/iran-tour-serv ... -iran-visa

another very reputable company with the same requirements

i am so loathe and hesitant to not go with the ruling..... i would hate to get into any trouble in iran....
your thoughts would be much appreciated.
kind regards. and with thanks. jill
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:31 am

Don't want to influence you here, it will be up to you in the end to decide.

If you do go with Key2Persia in the end, note that you get a discount if you get your invitation through the Caravanistan contact form

You can fill in the contact form here:

http://caravanistan.com/visa/iran/visa- ... nvitation/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jill

Postby jill » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:44 am

THANK YOU!! I will be most sure to do this with Caravanistan!!
0 x

jill

Postby jill » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 am

Hello there. How many months before proposed date of entry into Iran can one start to apply for the invitation letter and hopefully the visa? Some countries have a 3 month time before entry. What is the case with Iran, if you would perhaps know? Many thanks!!
0 x