Report: Mongolia VISA extension in Ulan Bator

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
cyclingthe6

Report: Mongolia VISA extension in Ulan Bator

Postby cyclingthe6 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:02 am

British passport holder - arrived by land from China, 30 day visa free. Visited immigration near airport. Got extension on the spot ('express service', but they didn't offer me any alternative!). Cost 110 US dollars in total for an extra 30 days (total 60 days) - apparently the price you pay per extra day increases after first seven extra days. Required to fill in app form, photo, photocopy of passport and entry stamp, letter explaining why you want extra time. I applied on day 8 in-country (usually they would fine those who don't register within seven days - 100 US. You only need to register if you plan to stay for more than 30 days. A friend of mine was fined, but for me they overlooked the fact that I was one day late because the offices had been closed for the new year).
0 x

Fiestje

Re: Mongolia VISA extension report

Postby Fiestje » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 pm

2 Belgian cyclists. We extended our Mongolian visa today in Ulaan Batar.

The immigration office is close to the airport, about 15 km away from the centre. It all seems quite efficient and we were helped in fluent English. Registration and extension were done at the same time.

We needed:
- copy of passport
- copy of Mongolian visa with entry stamp
- filled in request form which you get on the spot
- handwritten letter of why you want extension (you can write on the back of the copy of your passport)
- 1000 tugrik for the request form
- money to pay at the bank (which is in the same building) for the extension; you can pay in tugrik or change dollars on the spot. We payed 84.900 tugrik per person for an extension of 23 days. That's about 35 EUR. We don't know exactly how much it is for the first week and the additional days.

We were inside for about 2 hours. The office is open until 17h.
0 x

CallumT

Re: Report: Mongolia VISA extension in Ulan Bator

Postby CallumT » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 am

Just an update to say my partner and I successfully extended our visa yesterday despite not having registered within our first 7 days in the country. We have been in Mongolia for over two weeks already but no issue was made of it. Procedure and prices were exactly the same as described on caravanistan, whole process only took around an hour.

I will say though that in our explanation letter we said we stayed longer at our accommodation in Khatgal to help after it partially burnt down. Maybe that was kindly looked upon.
1 x