Report on Iran Visa extension in Qeshm

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
miczel

Report on Iran Visa extension in Qeshm

Post by miczel »

It is possible to get a visa extension in Qeshm. You can do it in the Police Office for Foreigners (26.9621653, 56.2607801). However, it's better to do it in Bandar Abbas as they will do it faster and seem to be better prepared for tourists. In Qeshm, I would suggest you to go to the office at around 8am (between 7 and 9am). One of the officers speaks little English but, if you can, take an Iranian friend with you. Or maybe the officer can call yor friend for translation. As a polish citizen I got 'only' 30 days extension. It was on January 30th, one but last day of my entry visa validity. I had to wait around 4 hours but they didn't demand any additional photos or copies. In the end I even didn't have to pay any fees but it was probably because the officer liked me and he could practise English with me :roll: It was clear that I don't have fixed travel plans and I camp on the way but if you want to be on the safe side prepare a trip itinerary with ho(s)tel names and dates so they will (think they) know where you are during your trip. Good luck!
3 x

Hamideh_mir

Re: Report on Iran Visa extension in Qeshm

Post by Hamideh_mir »

For those how enter Iran by car or motorcycle or bike it is not possible to extend visa in Qeshm Island. They should go to Bandar Abas for extension. If you are in Qeshm, you can take one ferry to Bandar Abbas in the morning and extend the visa and return to Qeshm in the afternoon. I also recommend to go to the station with an Iranian friend. It will speed up the process.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hamideh_mir wrote:For those how enter Iran by car or motorcycle or bike it is not possible to extend visa in Qeshm Island.
That is clearly not true as the previous poster just pointed out.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

miczel

Post by miczel »

steven wrote:
Hamideh_mir wrote:For those how enter Iran by car or motorcycle or bike it is not possible to extend visa in Qeshm Island.
I have entered Iran by plane so apparently it is possible only in this case. And I guess the "rules" may vary in time and depend on who are you talking to in the office.
Last edited by miczel on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

steven wrote:
It seems very plausible to me. You also have to get your Carnet looked at before you go to Qeshm. But perhaps there is no relation between visa and getting in with vehicle.

Next to that, the island is not that big and it has some small military bases (because of the Persian sea that people try to call the Arab sea). It was really nice to visit Qeshm, but I myself would not try visa extension at such a place because it may be more sensitive.
Anyway, clearly it is possible as shown.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks for the clarifications, guys! I was a bit too quick there with my judgment, it seems.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

We tried visa extension in Qeshm beginning of march. (Belgian lady and French sir)
Arriving there at 9am we had to wait outside because the officer wasn't there. He arrived around 30 min later and we were ushered in, as they pushed all the other people out :')
The officer looked very pleased to have us and to have a chat. Nonetheless we got out 30 min later with the promise that "everything is OK in the system for 30 days, but you have to go to Bandar Abbas tomorrow to have the stamp." He didn't take any of our pictures or passport copy, and we didn't fill anything.
So we went the day after (the office in Bandar is hidden behind a metal door without any sign outside, don't miss it ;) ), we tried to communicate our situation but without success. So we had the whole process done from scratch.
It took us less than 2 hours having everything ready (1 passport copy, 2 photos - headscarf for the lady-, a hotel address in Bandar) including the round trip to the bank. We were also been asked 40.000 to fill the form. They asked us if we had our first evisa but we said no and it didn't bother him.
They granted us 2 months without much fuss, just a mild surprise and a weak "why do you want 2 months" (the answer "to visit" was enough :') )
We asked for 2 months after hearing that a French guy asked for 1 month a bit earlier and received only 14 days (one French girl asking for 2 months too got them too)

Also, we ran into mizcel in Qeshm (it's a small world indeed ;) ) and he was having some trouble to extend his visa again in Qeshm (they kept asking him to come back the next day).
2 x

miczel

Post by miczel »

So I have tried to extend my visa again in Qeshm in the beginning of March but it didn't work out. My strong recommendation: do it in Bandar Abbas unless you have a very good reason to do it in Qeshm. It seems to be a lottery now and it might take days until you get the visa (_if_ you get one).

This time I was talking to another officer (a young one with nice shirt) than before and I had to go to different police office than last time. They call this office Deftar/or Daftar (26.960115, 56.263798) and it's relatively close to the one I pointed out in my first post. The officer said in the beginning that he will get me the visa (or he will try to get it, not sure now what he said exactly) but after three days of hearing "come tomorrow" I took my passport and went to Bandar Abbas the following day where the whole process took me only 4 hours. The police office in Qeshm was full with Afgani workers struggling for their visa so the place was enormously crowded and loud. As far as I understood the officer something has changed in the procedures since I was there last time but I have no idea what exactly. It was quite difficult to communicate with him because of his very poor English and because he was extremely busy. So again, take the damn ferry and go to Bandar where getting visa will be like a walk on the beach comparing to Qeshm ;)
2 x

Hamideh_mir

Post by Hamideh_mir »

steven wrote:

Sorry for veryyy late response :) .
As I mentioned, only those who enter Iran with their own vehicle cannot extend their visa in Qeshm. The officer told me this clearly. I am Iranian so I had no trouble understanding him :D .
My experience in Qeshm:
I went as a company with an Italian friend who entered Iran with his car. When we wanted to enter Qeshm, he showed his carnet and visa and we enetered the island without a problem. But then his visa was coming to an end in one week. So we went to immigration police in Qeshm. After a lot of waiting outside (because the officer was not there) he finally arrived and when he checked the documents, he said: "No. You cannot extend here. Here only those who come by plane. He has come by his own car so he need to extend in bandar Abas."
I asked there is no way we extend here. We already lost a day. and he said no. Tomorrow morning in Bandar Abas.

So next morning we took a ferry to Bandar Abbas. Arrived there around 10. got the extension for 2 months and he paid around 70,000 tomans. We got the extension in about two hours (most of the time was taken to walk to the bank and come back and the bank was also crowded).
1 x