Overstay Iran

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
goeast1004

Overstay Iran

Post by goeast1004 »

Good evening,

Does anyone know how the authorities are dealing with overstay at the moment? It seem like in the past you could get into serious trouble when overstaying or just had to pay a fine when leaving the country. At the website from the german ministry of foreign affairs it is written that you have to pay for each day you are overstaying but it should not be a big problem. Extending the visa is not possible for us, as our passports are stucked at another ambassy due to visa applications, as we didn't expect that it would take so much time. However the Swiss embassy (two citizenships) said, we will get in serious trouble... What are your experiences?

Thanks for the help;))
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Overstay Iran

Post by steven »

Do let us know, I have no recent reports, but I am definitely interested in finding out.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

miczel

Post by miczel »

goeast1004 wrote:Good evening,

Does anyone know how the authorities are dealing with overstay at the moment? It seem like in the past you could get into serious trouble when overstaying or just had to pay a fine when leaving the country. At the website from the german ministry of foreign affairs it is written that you have to pay for each day you are overstaying but it should not be a big problem. Extending the visa is not possible for us, as our passports are stucked at another ambassy due to visa applications, as we didn't expect that it would take so much time. However the Swiss embassy (two citizenships) said, we will get in serious trouble... What are your experiences?

Thanks for the help;))
On another forum (Lonely Planet) I found what happened afterwards:
(...) we decided to take the risk and wait till the passports were back, it was no problem at all we just had to pay a fee for the overstay (per day) and even got our visa expanded for two more weeks. But in general it is not recommended to take this risk (as our embassy told us), as you never know how the officials will react.
0 x

miczel

Post by miczel »

Hello, my visa expires on December 2nd and I have an idea to go to the airport that day in the evening, go through the passport control and fly the next day at around 4am. Do you think I might get into any troubles by overstaying in Iran for these few hours?
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Do you have check-in luggage? If yes, you probably won't be able to check in 4 hours before departure. Other than that, this plan *should* work since once you are past passport control, you are in transit and have effectively left the country. But I am no expert in this and have no personal experience...
1 x

sushant.padhye

Post by sushant.padhye »

Hey Miczel. I’m in a similar situation where my visa expires 3 hours before my flight at IKA. Did the airline issue you your boarding pass and any issues with immigration?
0 x