Embassy report: Turkmenistan visa in Istanbul

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
triplex

Re: Embassy report: Turkmenistan visa in Istanbul

Postby triplex » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 am

Same here like galax, staff was super friendly, english speaking, tried to apply for a 5-day-transit visa a few days ago. Without a resident-card in turkey it is not possible. Don't know about Ankara.
1 x

silkroadski

Postby silkroadski » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:18 am

Does anyone have an update for a Turkmen transit visa from Istanbul? I was going to try this week. Failing that Tehran may have to be the option.
0 x

silkroadski

Postby silkroadski » Fri May 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Update:

It looks as though you can [again?!] apply for a transit visa for Turkmenistan in their consulate in Istanbul if you are NOT Turkish. At least I think that’s what I’ve just done... they insisted that a LOI was needed for a Transit visa. $10 each and a walk to Dezin bank (10 mins away) we were applying for a LOI. Having filled all of their paperwork out (LOI form and a template letter) we attached copies of payment and two passport photos (plus a premade letter of our own). Finally he gave us an application for a Transit visa form. I hope that means that the application has gone in!

We were told to email the consulate in Istanbul before crossing the border of Iran/Turkmenistan where we can (if successful in the application) pick it up and pay for (at any crossing allegedly). They would apparently know if successful in a week - I give it more - to avoid being caught in no mans land I was told (eventually and unconvincingly) that I can pick it up in Mashad...

As a point to note. We were there at 0845 and there had already been 40 people seen. It gets BUSY arrive early and to save time I’d probably just pay $10 at the Dezin branch straight down the road before you go - they have the consulates details.
2 x

silkroadski

Postby silkroadski » Tue May 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Next update:

Yes, this works, but Istanbul is slow and busy. It took 17 days for the Visa to be approved for us to pick up in Mashad. Others that applied in Tehran seemed to wait on average 10 days. If, like us, the approval date is later than your intended exit date then they will grant the visa for your new expected date of arrival at the border.
1 x

daniel855

Postby daniel855 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm

yes it works. i was there in may 2018
i called the embassy, but when i showed up they said not possible.very busy consulate. so i told them i called an hour ago, so they gave me that form.
also needed to fill out letter, but they have a sample letter at the wall, you can just copy.
when they told me to pay at the bank and bring me passport copies, they realized the consulate closes within 30 minutes, so i couldnt make it. they were really helpful, took the copies theirselfs and accepted dollar in cash. even gave me change. 10$ per person. children free
i picked up the loi in tiblisi in june. it took a while to find me in the system(like 2 hours...) but then i got the letter to get the visa at the border
2 x

rowanv

Postby rowanv » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 am

Embassy report for Turkmenistan transit visa at Istanbul consulate in July 2018 with Australian passport.

The official was very helpful and spoke good English, but told me that transit visas must be applied for in a neighbouring country of Turkmenistan and that I should apply in Tehran (approx. 17 day processing time) or Mashhad (approx. 10 day processing time).
1 x