Embassy report: Mashhad, Turkmen Visa

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
laghubhara

Re: Embassy report: Mashhad, Turkmen Visa

Postby laghubhara » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 am

We (German couple) applied for transit visa from 26/08/2018-30/08/2018 in Tehran on 05/08/2018, called on 15/08/2018 and got the okay. On 25/08/2018 we picked up the visa in Mashhad. We arrived at 09:30 and got the visa immediately. Our entry point is Howdan, exit point is Farap.

We first wanted to pick up the visa on 23/08/2018, but the consulate was closed due to Eid al-Adha (Islamic holiday) from 22/08/2018-24/08/2018 (three days). There was a paper stuck to the door of the consulate advising this, but I found no note or anything about it online. So be careful about holidays!

They really are very picky with the dollar notes :)

There is a copyshop on the Dah-e-Day Square which does color copies (20,000 Rial per page).
1 x

SHappe

Postby SHappe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:14 am

We (two Australians) applied for a transit visa in Tehran on 21st Feb, and picked them up from Mashhad 11th March. They were ready since the 1st of March.

The signs on the outside of the Consulate in Mashhad say it is open from 08h30 - 12h30 every day except Friday and Sunday. It does say that Mondays and Thursdays are reserved for transportation companies. However, we were there at 09h on Monday, and there was no problem at all.

As well as the USD, make sure you bring another copy of your passport, and you will fill out another form. We did that at 09h, then waited for 10min, and received our visas straightaway. The gentleman was nice and spoke pretty good English.
3 x

komiin

Postby komiin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 am

I went to Turkmen embassy in Tehran and applied for visa on May 19th 2019. It's funny enough to fill the form (I've filled it partly by hand and it was a big deal for visa guy there), even to download the form was an adventure since my Adobe Reader couldn't cope with the form on my laptop and neither my phone. I prepared my own letter describing why I wanna get transit visa. Once again, it wasn't good enough for the lad at the embassy so I basically copied a sample of the same letter shown outside the embassy word by word (including grammatical mistakes to keep them happy). I've paid $10 and the guy didn't pay to much attention to the quality of the dollar note.

Then I called the embassy in Tehran on May 27th and it was already approved. Went to Mashhad consulate on June 2nd and was able to change the original date of entry from June 6 to June 8. I had to fill another form, pay $105 (again the guy didn't really pay to much attention to the bank notes although $100 bill looked really good). No passport copy was needed to collect the visa but if you need a copy there's a copy shop almost round the corner (36.284179, 59.597817). There's a money exchange just next door to copy shop and they might be used to weird requirements of embassies nearby (there's also Pakistani and Afghan embassy in that area) I guess. Otherwise there's another exchange up the street (from that copy shop) of Imam Khomeini Boulevard and I think I've seen one on Modares boulevard.

Btw, I don't wanna sound like a seller but for accommodation I stayed in Razi hotel (36.284569, 59.596822) and I was really happy to do that. Before getting there I was offered to stay in nearby Valis homestay for $10/night. Instead I stayed in Razi hotel in a double room (technically two double beds and one single) for 700 000 rials/night ($5) on top of that breakfast, lunch and dinner were included! I don't know if it was because of Ramadan or my beautiful eyes but the price was amazing, so was the food. I even walked around and asked in other hotels too and I've found one 3* for 1 100 000 rials/night ($8). Or you can stay in a dorm at Valis homestay for $10. Again, I don't know if it was because of Ramadan but this was my experience and it was really good value!
2 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Ever since the first round of devaluations in 2012, Vali's has been a big rip-off.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

tomtimmerman

Postby tomtimmerman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 am

Seems the opening hours have changed. They now have a notice board which states they are open Sunday through Thursday from 9-13h.
2 x

Haenslein1

Postby Haenslein1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Application in tehran, pickup in mashhad. We Needed to fill in another form. But they didn't ask us for passport copies or pictures. We can confirm the changed opening hours, we were told to hurry at 12:30.
0 x

jelco

Postby jelco » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:45 am

We (Dutch citizens) got our transit visas for Turkmenistan with help from Vali (who runs a homestay in Mashhad) by emailing copies of our documents to him 14 days in advance and then picking it up with him in person.
We also stayed at the dorm of Vali's guesthouse for a few nights, which is cosy and with very good home-cooked food, getting a best cultural souviner is also your best bet at his place. You can contact him via WhatsApp on +989151001324 or email on valiaasta[email protected]

Process for visa application:
At least14 days in advance:
  • email documents to Vali:
    -scan of passport
    -filled out visa application forms
    -passport photo
  • transfer fee to Vali's PayPal (€20 per visa)

When arriving in Mashhad:
  • go to consulate with Vali and get visa (US$55 per visa)
0 x

garyloam

Postby garyloam » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:06 pm

I got a problem to download the application form for the transit visa. The embassy website always show "Please wait...." in pdf file.
Would anyone send me a copy of it?

Thank you so much
Last edited by garyloam on Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bodhi.w

Postby Bodhi.w » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 am

Hi All,
The opening days for the consulate must have been changed recently, as they are closed Friday and Saturday as per the Tehran embassy and open all other days (in theory).
We arrived on a Sunday to find they had posted a sign on the window (in farsi) saying they would also be closed Sunday and Monday. Our iran visa was expiring, and the delay would have impacted our future travels (plus I was thirsty for a beer) and we managed to call the Tehran embassy who sent someone to see us (the staff residency is next to the embassy) . We got our visa sorted in about 1 hr. We also changed our exit date to give us an extra day in Turkmenistan. Also the embassy guard was really friendly and mentioned that the sometimes the embassy will sporadically open and close (including opening on Saturdays sometimes).
Lessons learnt, give yourself a few days, check with Tehran embassy (easier to get through and better English) and be persistent.
1 x

metzelan

Postby metzelan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:01 pm

garyloam wrote:I got a problem to download the application form for the transit visa. The embassy website always show "Please wait...." in pdf file.
Would anyone send me a copy of it?

Thank you so much

Don't know if it is a bit too late, but I encountered the same issue as well. I couldn't open the files in any apple devices(didnt try it on other computer). But when I went to one of the printing place about 15 minutes walk from the embassy in Tehran, their computer was able to open the file and I just got the form filled and and printed.
0 x