Cycling Karakorum Highway Spring 2022

Cycling the Silk Road
Fabian Kriwan

Cycling Karakorum Highway Spring 2022

Post by Fabian Kriwan »

Hello all,

I am thinking about cycling the KKH in late April/May this year. Since I am not coming via Central Asia, I am not particularly interested in the Chinese part of the KKH. I would therefore start my trip from Islamabad, but I figured it is better to start the KKH from the north. My thinking was to take a Bus from Islamabad to Sost and start cycling back from there, including some valleys along the way and continuing to India via Lahore afterwards.

First of all, is this a good idea? Does anyone have up to date information about the KKH and the current security situation? Also, is camping along the way an issue? And anyone else interested in cycling Pakistan during that time?

Thank you very much in advance!
Cheers
0 x

AlexG

Re: Cycling Karakorum Highway Spring 2022

Post by AlexG »

Hi Fabian,

I'm trying to plan a Central Asia trip, but seems most of the countries are restricting entry, so I'm thinking about a KKH trip instead. The only thing is my timing is about a month off from yours, as I plan on starting in June. Let me know if you happen to be flexible on your schedule.. mine might also be flexible as well, to a certain degree.

Thanks,

-B
1 x

Fabian Kriwan

Post by Fabian Kriwan »

Hello Alex,

in fact I would be flexible. My initial plan was to continue to India afterwards, however If I start my trip in India, I could do the KKH around June. Unfortunately, after speaking to the Indian embassy (still waiting for a response from Pakistani embassy), all land borders between the two countries remain closed for tourists. The only way to get into India or Pakistan would be by airplane, however there don't seem to be direct flights between the countries. This is of course a major blow to my plans, and I am now thinking about possible alternatives.
0 x

Alex.mo

Post by Alex.mo »

How long are you going to be in the trip?
0 x

emeeeee

Post by emeeeee »

Hey,

If you have done this route I would be very interested to have your feedbacks !

I'm planning a trip through central asia, the karakoram looks amazing but I'm quite worring about the security / border crossing between pakistan and china, and between pakistan in India).

Thank you in advance !
Emeric
0 x

Bonny

Post by Bonny »

Hi,

I am also very much interested to hear how your trip went as I also want to cycle the KKH one day. Would be great if you could post some feedback on security, traffic on the highway, political issues, border crossings, pandemic situation, etc. Thanks so much! Hopefully you were there before the horrible flooding - ???

And does anybody know how the situation is there now? I guess especially in the South the situation is still very bad. How about in the mountains?

Thanks so much!
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

I did KKH last month, by car. On top at the border it was pretty bad snowing already. I would think its now closed. Security i wouldnt bother about, there are cheap guesthouses everywhere. The chinese border is closed anyway also without the snow. There are countless landslides about everywhere, and between Chilas and Besham, the chinese are building 2 big dams, what makes it difficult to pass, roadworks, landslides, dust, bad traffic everywhere. They are moving the KKH several 100 meters up, because later the old road will be flooded when the dams are ready, what makes roadworks above you and landslides under those roadworks where now is the main road. Check te weather anyway, i left Islamabad with 30 degrees and at the border it was minus 9 degrees !! OOHH, yes, if you like to have a drink, only count on Hunza, the only please they serev alcohol all the way up to the border !! I did it up and down from Islamabad in a week, wich is pretty short by car. While waiting my indian visa, i had a week time, and used that to go up to the border. Wagah Border into India is piece of cake, no problmes at all !! ??
have fun i would say . . .
0 x