Bike parts in Dushanbe from Moscow

Cycling the Silk Road
bryanmkevan

Bike parts in Dushanbe from Moscow

Post by bryanmkevan »

Hello. Passing on information on how to find bike parts in Dushanbe without long shipping times, etc.

I was able to obtain three high quality, large 26x2.3-2.8in tubes and a pair of 26x2.35in Schwalbe Big Apples in Dushanbe in a grand total of 26 hours for a very reasonable shipping price. This was a very specific request that I'm frankly amazed was able to be fulfilled. I am riding a Surly Pugsley, and these were basically, for various reasons, my first and far away top choice for tire replacements for this bike. When you are here looking for spare parts, frustrated with the availability of things in the city, take the manager of the Green House Hostel seriously when he says he has a friend who can find what you need in Moscow in 3-4 days. His friend is knowledgeable, and through pictures in text messages, voice messages, we were able to communicate exactly what I needed, quickly find it, and send it with a courier on the daily Moscow-Dushanbe flight. 26 hours. I'm sure you could communicate and find whatever parts you need, including specific brands, etc. It initially sounded odd to me, from the States. But this is just how things are done in Tajikistan right now. This particular conduit was one that I found was done particularly well. There are basically zero reputable bike shops from Baku through the Pamirs.

Safe travels!
2 x
On the road, rolling slowly on my big wheel. https://bryanmkevan.bike/

SteveL

Re: Bike parts in Dushanbe from Moscow

Post by SteveL »

Well that's a game changer! Thanks for the update! We're about a month behind you (in Khiva), thanks for the great blogging too, it's been really helpful.

Steve
0 x

SteveL

Post by SteveL »

Update:

I used this service to aquire front and rear 36 hole deore hubs. It was really simple. I sent the hostel an email a few days before arrival with links for the hubs i wanted, plus a pair that would also work. When i arrived at the hostel I was told our second choice had been found, we ordered, paid and the hubs were handed to me at the dinner table less than 30 hours later. It's a really amazing service. They also have contact information for a good bike mechanic.
1 x

johnboylayton

Post by johnboylayton »

Hi, feel free to add this to the 'Dushanbe bike shop' section...there is a bike shop located on the corner of Abay street and Borbad Street. SW of the city. It is marked on maps.me. They have some decent components and spare parts, also a range of mountain and road bikes. A young mechanic by the name of Zoir is very helpful.
Attachments
IMG-20180729-WA0036.jpg
IMG-20180729-WA0036.jpg (241.62 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG-20180729-WA0037.jpg
IMG-20180729-WA0037.jpg (211.6 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
1 x

bfirsh

Post by bfirsh »

Thanks for this tip - it saved us before the Pamir highway.

I just want to reiterate how great Morodzhon from Green House Hostel is. We emailed ahead asking for some specific Land Rover parts. He gave us various options of genuine/OEM/aftermarket parts, and we had the parts in our hands about 4 days later. The parts were small so the courier fee was only $5.

That’s a better service than I’ve had getting parts within the UK. Stunning.
2 x