Fall Touring 2018

Cycling the Silk Road
BigRig76

Fall Touring 2018

Post by BigRig76 »

Greetings!
First of all. So thankful to Caravanistan.com for all of the help/info. I am currently living with my wife in Urgench,UZ for nearly a year. She's a fellow at Urgench State University and we're slowly acclimating. We didn't learn we'd be coming here until late June of this year so I was frantic to learn as much as possible about Central Asia and figure out how I could do some bike touring as part of this journey. Big Thank You!!!

Questions about best places to ride in October and November:
1: It's cooling off in Urgench but I am interested in heading East toward Bishkek and Almaty. Any risky (snow/weather) passes I should know about so late in the season? Route Ideas?
2. Any recommendations for where to tour this time of year based on your own experiences?
3. I'd be traveling solo unless someone wants to team up.
4. I'm anxious to resume sleeping in the tent after 3 weeks in Urgench coming from a 2 week tour through Germany,Czechia and Poland. I will take all suggestions to heart!

Thanks,
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Fall Touring 2018

Post by steven »

1. In November definitely everything over 3000 m has a very high risk of snow. In October, there is definitely a chance, but not a certainty.
2. This is probably going to be too cold and snowy: http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/tian- ... yrgyzstan/

The Kazakh part of this route should work out perfectly, though: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23172901 Combine it with an easy loop around Issyk-Kul

I'd also recommend the area around Shymkent, no gps tracks though
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

BigRig76

Re: Fall Touring 2018

Post by BigRig76 »

Thanks a bunch!
1 x