Question about Marshrutkas

Airplanes, buses, boats, feet, thumbs, ...
Tasurinchi

Question about Marshrutkas

Post by Tasurinchi »

Hi fellow travellers

A short question about marshrutkas in the -stan countries. I know my questiomay be a too generic but anyway...

How much space do they have for luggage?

I'll be travelling around the stans in June, seems it will be generally hot, specially in UZ, so how much (or less) luggage to take depends on what luggage space Marshrutkas normally have.

I've watched few YT videos and they normally seem to be rather small mini-buses, the legroom seem limited as well so it won't probaly have so much space for carrying big pieces of luggage inside (I'm 1.85m)

Any feedback would be highly appreciated... Thanks a lot in advance!

T
0 x
Going 4 weeks for a "mini" Silk Road trip in June

borekj

Re: Question about Marshrutkas

Post by borekj »

There is usually some space in the part under the last seats (maybe 4-6 70l backpacks?), but in my experience, the luggage will always somehow fit, even if it should just stand in the aisle. Local are travelling with whatever you can imagine (animals, plants, mattresses) and everybody is used to have the marshrutka completely over packed.

Tldr you shouldn't worry too much about marshrutka, but obviously, the lighter the backpack, the easier the travelling is.
1 x

Tasurinchi

Post by Tasurinchi »

borekj wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:34 pm
There is usually some space in the part under the last seats (maybe 4-6 70l backpacks?), but in my experience, the luggage will always somehow fit, even if it should just stand in the aisle. Local are travelling with whatever you can imagine (animals, plants, mattresses) and everybody is used to have the marshrutka completely over packed.
Thanks! Is the luggage safe (in terms of not being stolen)?
0 x
Going 4 weeks for a "mini" Silk Road trip in June

borekj

Post by borekj »

I've never heard of anyone having anything stolen from marshrutka. That being said, it probably can happen, but you'd have to be extremely unlucky.
1 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

I've never encountered an issue with a large backpack in marshrutkas. Only sometimes with the Chinese micro busses (used for some short distances in Tajikistan).
1 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

Marshrutkas (UAZ) are hardly find in use these days especially Tajikistan. For example, for travelling between Dushanbe-Khorog, Khorog-Ishkashim, Khorog-Murghab, Khorog -Bartang etc including all shared taxis for 99% percent it would be 4wd Toyota Land Cruisers or Mitsubishi Pajero (with roof-top carrier for luggage). One person can take up to 2 average suitcases/bags for free and pays extra for the remains of his/her luggage.

hope this helps
best wishes
Nazrulo
1 x

Kasia

Post by Kasia »

Sometimes you have to pay extra if you have bigger luggage.
During my trip it only happened in Kyrgyzstan on the leg Karakol-Jyrgalan (both directions). Not sure if they demanded it only from me (solo backpacker) or if this rule applies to all passengers. It was a 55l backpack, and there were people with much bigger load.

I second what was said about the capacity (they will make everything fit, sometimes it will go on the roopftop) and the safety (no issues). But be prepared that your luggage will get dirty with dust, chicken poo, spilled oil, leaking juices of somsas...

In Tajikistan they put extra "seats" in the aisle. It will be a cushion on top of the luggage or a plastic monobloc stool in childrens size with only 3 legs. And sometimes you have to stand up squeezed in like sardines. Both variants are uncomfortable, but everyone will do their best to make you feel safe and welcome.

Try to get in the front besides the driver, especially if you get carsick easily. The views will be amazing. But sometimes these seats are reserved for relatives / friends or older passengers. Once they asked me for a higher price.

Safe travels!
Kasia
1 x