Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Airplanes, buses, boats, feet, thumbs, ...
landcruising

Re: Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Post by landcruising »

Li Via wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:02 am
If there are any questions, just ask. 😊
Hello Livia, thanks for your input. We are looking into crossing from Aktau to Baku with the ferry as well.

Our concern is about vaccinations:

- is it possible to enter Azerbeidzjan without vaccinations?
- did they ask for any proof?
- do they still need PCR testing?

Thanks again.
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

According to the IATA restrictions map:
1. Until 1 September 2022, the following passengers are allowed to enter: [...]
2. Passengers must have a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated; or a COVID-19 recovery certificate.
In addition the Kayak restrictions map adds that no tests are required for people that fulfill the above criteria.
0 x

landcruising

Post by landcruising »

Yes, thank you for that IATA information, but that’s definitely geared towards airlines and landings.

And what’s official written on 3rd party websites doesn’t always hold true to the realistic side.

As mentioned, they also didn’t check special permission and a visa sufficed.

I wanted specifically hear it from her coming on the ferry.
0 x

flora.brandstetter

Post by flora.brandstetter »

Hi Livia! Thanks for sharing!!
Do you know if we once enter azerbaijan via caspian sea can we leave azerbaijan/enter iran also via land border?
Whats your plan/next country?
Thanks
Flora
0 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

landcruising wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:23 am
Li Via wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:02 am
If there are any questions, just ask. 😊
Hello Livia, thanks for your input. We are looking into crossing from Aktau to Baku with the ferry as well.

Our concern is about vaccinations:

- is it possible to enter Azerbeidzjan without vaccinations?
- did they ask for any proof?
- do they still need PCR testing?

Thanks again.
Hi,

We crossed into AZ without PCR test and no one asked about vaccination proof. So I would say yes, you can enter without vaccination and without PCR test.

good luck!
0 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

flora.brandstetter wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:11 pm
Do you know if we once enter azerbaijan via caspian sea can we leave azerbaijan/enter iran also via land border?
Thanks
Flora
Hi,

we left AZ towards Georgia by land without any problems. I can’t say something about Iran on my own experience, but I know people they did cross to Iran by land from AZ - so I would say yes. :)

best wishes
Livia
0 x

Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Li Via wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:34 am
Thanks
Flora
Hi,

we left AZ towards Georgia by land without any problems. I can’t say something about Iran on my own experience, but I know people they did cross to Iran by land from AZ - so I would say yes. :)

best wishes
Livia
Hi Li Via, could you please share more information on the exiting to Georgia in the current situation? I will be flying to Baku this August from Spain, and then I would like to back track by land all the way to Istanbul, but for that the first step is being able to cross to Georgia.
0 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

Antonio wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:43 pm
Li Via wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:34 am
Thanks
Flora
Hi,

best wishes
Livia
Hi Li Via, could you please share more information on the exiting to Georgia in the current situation? I will be flying to Baku this August from Spain, and then I would like to back track by land all the way to Istanbul, but for that the first step is being able to cross to Georgia.
Hi Antonio,

yes, sure.

we crossed at the Matisimi Border Post into Georgia. There was nothing special and we hadn’t any problems to leave AZ by land border. The normal procedure with showing the passport serval times to different persons and wait for no obvious reason. We had to show our Visa (the one we needed to enter AZ), they scanned our lugagge (traveling by bike) and that was all. They were really friendly. One of them even helped us to carry our bags to the scanner, because we couldn’t enter the tiny room where the scanner is with our bicycles. There were not even any further questions about my Armenian stamp in the passport.

At the Georgian side it was even smother: one counter, one officer who checked the passport and gaves us the stamp. Almost couldn’t believe that it can be this quick and easy.

Covid was not an issue for either side: no PCR, no proof of vaccination, no Covid-passport were required or even asked for.

We changed money on the Georgian side. There is just one little exchange office next to a shop just after the border. We got a very bad exchange rate, but it was the only option we saw.
There are no moneychangers on the street like in so many other countries.

On the AZ side we didn’t recognize any money changing options at all. But we weren’t looking for it because we planned to change in Georgia. Retrospectively I would check the options on AZ side. There is a little kiosk, mabye they will change you some money for a better rate than the office on the Georgian side.

I hope it helped.
We are also on our way back over land. Already crossed Georgia and Turkey, tomorrow we will enter Greece - so if you have more questions, just ask. :)

wishes, Li Via
2 x

Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Hi Li Via, thanks for the story, seems like a very normal experience. I think I will risk it and try to exit by land. Probably thorugh the other border crossing to the North near the mountains.

Regards,

Antonio
1 x

Maud&tjeerd

Post by Maud&tjeerd »

Question for the people who took the ferry in the last few weeks: are cars also allowed on the ferry? Did you see any tourists with their own car on the ferry?

We want to take the ferry from Baku to Aktau next week.
(Trying to get the car into AZ atm)

Thanks for letting us know!
0 x