Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Airplanes, buses, boats, feet, thumbs, ...
steenaa54

Re: Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Post by steenaa54 »

Miras Bazarov. I just saw your good explanation and that you are Turkmen. I am intending to do the trip the other way round if I get Transit visa. I will come in from Bukhara/Türkmenabat and then head to Ashgabat and further on to Turkmenbashy. I would of course like to spend most time in other places than Turkmenbashy port, but as I probably only get 5 days, I will kind of have to rush to the ferry for going to Baku, as there is no timetable. But do you have any idea how often the ferry leaves? It will be in 2. part of October, so maybe there also is a challenge because of the weather…?
Another concern. I will try to apply in Astana/Nur-sultan and then after 3 weeks arrive in Uzbekistan. Do you know if there are consulates in Bukhara or Samarkand to pick up the visa?
Of course reply from everyone is appreciated
Thanks
Steen
0 x

ericv

Post by ericv »

MirasBazarov wrote:Hello, Eric.
"Turkembashi Deniz Yuk Porty" - means "cargo port" in Turkmen language
"Turkmenbashi Yolagcy Porty" - means "Passenger Port" in Turkmen language.

Its sure information, cuz Im turkmen native speaker and live in Turkmenistan.
Feel free to ask anything more.

With best regards, Miras
ericv wrote:
alarencontredumonde wrote:Just wanted to share our wonderful journey between Baku and Turkmenbashi.

Before leaving, we met 2 others travellers to share the journey. 4th of June we started to contact Oktai: +994 502140413, using an other number in this forum who put us in contact with him. Uses WhatsApp, speaks English. There were almost boats everyday, but we were not ready yet. On the 9th, they told us the boat was coming and that we should be at the port at 3 pm. We took a taxi for 25 Manats and arrived at Alat port at 2h30. At the same time another tourist arrived, we were 5 now. What I understood, is that Bergyar and Berkerer boats are also now leaving from Alat. But I don't know where and when you can buy them. I think that the contact we had was more for Azeri boats than Turkmen boats.

Passeport control at the entrance of the port. We then went at the office. Paid 60$ US per person, travelling on Professor Gul. They told us to wait. Hopefully, the boat would be arriving around 6 pm, InchAllah. We waited in a small restaurant (with AC) for 3 hours, the wifi was not working. On Marine tracking, the boat was still not at the port. We figured that we should wait somewhere else. Someone talked us about a waiting room. It was hard to find, but we managed to find a really big waiting room, close to the port entry. We waited there for few hours and rested a bit.

At 3:45 a guard came to say that we could board. We walked to the customs. Stamped out Azerbaijan. Small search with really nice border officers. Boarded the ship at 4:20 am. They gave us 2 cabin of 4 beds: 2 girls in one and 3 boys in te other one. They loaded the ship around 10 am and we left the port at 4:30 pm on the 10th. We spent 25h at the port in total.

The journey was nice: nice sunset, comfortable cabins, really nice crew and 4 meals included! Not 5 stars, but very nice experience! We docked in Turkmenbashi at 10:30 and exited all the process at 15:10.

Hope this will be helpful!

Hello mate!

Thanks so much for this update! I am looking to do the same trip in a few weeks.

Can I ask: what port did you arrive at in Turkmenbashi?

On the Turkmen visa application, you need to select a Port of Entry. The two options are "Turkembashi Deniz Yuk Porty" and "Turkmenbashi Yolagcy Porty". I'm not sure which one to select. Could you confirm?

Thanks!
Eric

Miras, thanks so much! That is helpful.

Now I am wondering though... even though I am a passenger, would I arrive in the cargo port on the ferry from Baku? Does anyone know?
0 x

BakuBound

Post by BakuBound »

You travel on a cargo ship which has some cabins for passengers, and you leave and depart from a cargo terminal with limited facilities for passengers. A bit rough but with the right attitude, and lots of time and patience, you'll manage. Otherwise, flying is about the same cost, less even once you consider hotel bills while waiting for a sailing.
1 x

MirasBazarov

Post by MirasBazarov »

Good day, Sir.

Sorry for late reply.
I will try to clear answer point by point.

1. Yes about ferry is problem in October month, specially 2nd part of month....
There are 3 ferry,
- 2 of them belongs to Turkmen side - ferries run at intervals of 2-3 days
- 1 of them belong to Azerbaijan - ferry run everyday

Ferry could stay at port even 4-5 days because of weather conditions...
Also it depends from speed of filling the passengers in the ferry...
I think better have to at least 36 hours before transit visa expire and be at the Turkmenbashi.
If it will be need You can face to me by private message at near time of depature to refresh the information.

2. The consulate of Turkmenistan in Uzbekistan availiable only in Tashkent city.

With best regards, Miras Bazarov
steenaa54 wrote:Miras Bazarov. I just saw your good explanation and that you are Turkmen. I am intending to do the trip the other way round if I get Transit visa. I will come in from Bukhara/Türkmenabat and then head to Ashgabat and further on to Turkmenbashy. I would of course like to spend most time in other places than Turkmenbashy port, but as I probably only get 5 days, I will kind of have to rush to the ferry for going to Baku, as there is no timetable. But do you have any idea how often the ferry leaves? It will be in 2. part of October, so maybe there also is a challenge because of the weather…?
Another concern. I will try to apply in Astana/Nur-sultan and then after 3 weeks arrive in Uzbekistan. Do you know if there are consulates in Bukhara or Samarkand to pick up the visa?
Thanks
Steen
1 x
If You would like to visit Turkmenistan, You can ask me... :idea:

MirasBazarov

Post by MirasBazarov »

Please, could You send to me copy of that aplication form?
Send to me request in prvt massage i will try to manage and at least will ask from knowledgeable people.
ericv wrote:
MirasBazarov wrote:Hello, Eric.
"Turkembashi Deniz Yuk Porty" - means "cargo port" in Turkmen language
"Turkmenbashi Yolagcy Porty" - means "Passenger Port" in Turkmen language.

Its sure information, cuz Im turkmen native speaker and live in Turkmenistan.
Feel free to ask anything more.

With best regards, Miras
ericv wrote:

Hello mate!

Thanks so much for this update! I am looking to do the same trip in a few weeks.

Can I ask: what port did you arrive at in Turkmenbashi?

On the Turkmen visa application, you need to select a Port of Entry. The two options are "Turkembashi Deniz Yuk Porty" and "Turkmenbashi Yolagcy Porty". I'm not sure which one to select. Could you confirm?

Thanks!
Eric

Miras, thanks so much! That is helpful.

Now I am wondering though... even though I am a passenger, would I arrive in the cargo port on the ferry from Baku? Does anyone know?
1 x

steenaa54

Post by steenaa54 »

Dear Sir.

Thank you for your reply.

I just wonder, if I enter Turkmenistan from Uzbekistan say at 11 in the morning, will the visa then expire on the 5th day at midnight, or at the 6th day at 11??

It will be not problem to be there 36 hours before. I will enter Turkmenistan at day 1, arrive in Ashgabat by train in morning day 2, leave on day 3 at night by train and arrive in the morning at day 4 in Turkmenbashi. Then i will have minimum till next day to leave.

If the weather is very bad and I have to wait after immigration in the port, is there places to sleep and eat..?

It will be very nice if I can message you a few days before I intend to enter Turkmenistan, so that I can eventually wait a day or 2 to enter.

Best Regards

Steen

MirasBazarov wrote:Good day, Sir.

Sorry for late reply.

There are 3 ferry,

I think better have to at least 36 hours before transit visa expire and be at the Turkmenbashi.
If it will be need You can face to me by private message at near time of depature to refresh the information.

2. The consulate of Turkmenistan in Uzbekistan availiable only in Tashkent city.

steenaa54 wrote:Miras Bazarov. I just saw your good explanation and that you are Turkmen. I am intending to do the trip the other way round if I get Transit visa. I will come in from Bukhara/Türkmenabat and then head to Ashgabat and further on to Turkmenbashy. I would of course like to spend most time in other places than Turkmenbashy port, but as I probably only get 5 days, I will kind of have to rush to the ferry for going to Baku, as there is no timetable. But do you have any idea how often the ferry leaves? It will be in 2. part of October, so maybe there also is a challenge because of the weather…?
Thanks
Steen
0 x

MirasBazarov

Post by MirasBazarov »

Dear, Steen.

If You enter at 11 in the morning, it doesn't matter, You have to "exit" from Turkmenistan before 5th day of midnight.
also if weather will be bad at those time, so when You "exit" and will wait in waiting zone, there are only sitting places, no opportunity to have bed and warm food, there is no buffee or cafe in territory, unfortunately. :roll:

Yes, You can message to me by email, send me request I will message to you all my contact information for help, its free ;)

Wth best regards, Miras
steenaa54 wrote:Dear Sir.

I just wonder, if I enter Turkmenistan from Uzbekistan say at 11 in the morning, will the visa then expire on the 5th day at midnight, or at the 6th day at 11??

It will be not problem to be there 36 hours before. I will enter Turkmenistan at day 1, arrive in Ashgabat by train in morning day 2, leave on day 3 at night by train and arrive in the morning at day 4 in Turkmenbashi. Then i will have minimum till next day to leave.

If the weather is very bad and I have to wait after immigration in the port, is there places to sleep and eat..?

It will be very nice if I can message you a few days before I intend to enter Turkmenistan, so that I can eventually wait a day or 2 to enter.

Best Regards

Steen

Sorry for late reply.

There are 3 ferry,

Thanks
Steen
1 x

steenaa54

Post by steenaa54 »

Dear Miras

Thanks again. I really hope I dont have to wait 4-5 days because of bad weather…….. :-(

I will try to contact you in October when I know more

Steen

MirasBazarov wrote:Dear, Steen.

If You enter at 11 in the morning, it doesn't matter, You have to "exit" from Turkmenistan before 5th day of midnight.
also if weather will be bad at those time, so when You "exit" and will wait in waiting zone, there are only sitting places, no opportunity to have bed and warm food, there is no buffee or cafe in territory, unfortunately. :roll:

Yes, You can message to me by email, send me request I will message to you all my contact information for help, its free ;)

Wth best regards, Miras

Best Regards

Steen

Sorry for late reply.

There are 3 ferry,

MirasBazarov wrote:Dear, Steen.

Wth best regards, Miras

Best Regards

Steen

Sorry for late reply.

There are 3 ferry,

Last edited by steenaa54 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Kit.law.70

Post by Kit.law.70 »

We just finished turkmenbashy - alat journey 2 days ago and would like to post some update on this route.

Currently in July only 2 Turkmen fast ships are running on this route. Dagestan and professor gul are parking in turkmenbashy and alat respectively.

We were on begtiyar and 1 ticket cost 100 dollars each with no cabin, only seats in the main hall including 2 meals. I have tried to ask what is the price with cabin and crew members told me it will be around 140usd each.

We board the ship at Saturday 1am and the ship start sailing at 8am. It arrive near Alat at 9pm but Azeri customs were already closed and we have to wait on the sea until Sunday 9am to land. Our luggage were not searched and pass through quickly by both custom , but other locals are being checked very carefully and this cost much times.
2 x

Bartover

Post by Bartover »

Hey hello!

I'm enjoying my trip through Central Asia at the moment! But I scrolled throughout the whole blog, but I can't find my question answered.
Is it possible to pay by card / Turkmenistan currency? Or do I need to pay in dollars? This would be a problem for me because I just experienced some trouble with the Kazakh police and I had to pay in dollars.

Thanks for the answers! Love this blog/Caravanistan!
0 x