Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Airplanes, buses, boats, feet, thumbs, ...
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Postby steven » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:59 am

Good question about the currency exchange. It would definitely not be available in a place like Almaty or Astana, but maybe in Aqtau it would be? I doubt it, actually. Get it in advance.
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Sun May 08, 2016 3:43 pm

It is official: there is NO trusting the ferry ticket Office in Aktau regarding Prices. Just today I had a Karakalpak acquaintance call them whereby they said 31800 tenge (instead of to 26800 which I got before). Just two hours later I called and this time they said 23500. Both times we mentioned I'm going in July.

I'll print the Azeri site stating $40 (13400 tenge) and bring it with me to Aktau. If the office staff quote more than that, I'll Show them the printout, and see what happens.

Also, I was now told you can actually buy the ticket 2 days in advance, not just on the day of travel. Wonder if I could have the Hotel buy it on my behalf before I arrive so I might get on the Ferry faster.

This shall be interesting indeed
1 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Mon May 23, 2016 9:53 pm

So, decided I'll let the Hotel buy the ticket for me in advance, mainly because I'll arrive in Aktau in the night, so if there should be a Ferry the same night, there'll be no Problem Boarding it because I'll be able to collect the ticket.

Big shoutout to B&B Aktau for this excellent Service!

They double-checked with the Office, and what they were able to find out is that there are no $40 tickets - instead it costs the daily tenge equivalent of $80.

The official Price list seems to be false in other words. Or who knows, maybe one can get a $40 ticket in the other direction...I think I'll E-Mail a random Hotel in Baku and ask just for the heck of it, so that we learn more.

Anyway, the Hotel will Charge me today's tenge equivalent of $83 for this Service (because of a $3 bank commission which is charged for any Service by them that's not "Profit"), store it on their account and buy the ticket as soon as they can.

Quite happy with it.

Btw, looking at the tenge rate development, I think the reason the Price has gone from $110 to $80 is the massive drop of the tenge - 1 Dollar used to be 180-190 tenge but now it's more like 330-340.

So, it's official: there are Ferry tickets Aktau-Azerbaijan for the daily tenge equivalent of $80, and the Hotel B&B Aktau can buy it for you in advance for an extra "commission" fee of the daily tenge equivalent of $3 (they require a passport copy, and will Charge your credit Card).
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue May 24, 2016 5:26 am

Great news. How long in advance did you buy the ticket (ie when are you coming)?
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Tue May 24, 2016 6:05 am

steven wrote:Great news. How long in advance did you buy the ticket (ie when are you coming)?
Arriving in Beyneu on the Train from Moscow on 22 July at 16:30, so depending on the time it takes to catch a marshrutka, I should be in Aktau sometime in the middle of the night 22-23 July. The Hotel is Aware of this.

Note: didn't actually buy it, just paid the Hotel the Price so they can do it as soon as possible (no later than 2 days in advance). Strangely, they charged me in tenge (27919) instead of Dollars, despite the fact that the Price is whatever tenge amount equals USD 80 (+3 on the hotel's part) on the day

Wonder what will happen if the tenge amount increases (due to the Exchange rate) - will the Hotel Charge my Card even more or will they get a Discount when buying the ticket for me?
1 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Wed May 25, 2016 8:24 am

UPDATE: Four Seasons Baku confirmed the Azerbaijan-Aktau Ferry costs USD 80 in the other direction as well, not 110
1 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I've just found out that ferries from Aktau, at least those taking passengers, currently do NOT serve Baku, only Alat
1 x

Fiddelito

Postby Fiddelito » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:12 am

We are planning to take the ferry from Baku to Aktau this summer as a part of the Mongol Rally but will not have a Kazakh visa in our passports since we can travel visa free in Kazakhstan for up to 15 days. Has anyone got passed the Azeri Customs without onwards visas? I have read several reports of them requiring an LOI or Visa in the passport to let you on the ship.

Cheers
1 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:28 am

Like many people in these countries not very used to foreigners, they're likely to assume any non-CIS national Needs a visa for Kazakhstan.

Print out this page - at the bottom you'll see a list of the Western nationalities (the bold text) that can visit without a visa for max 15 days http://mfa.kz/index.php/ru/kuku1uk14uu14

Btw, Keep in mind that the Ferry to Aktau is said to only leave from Alat. There seems to be no buses to the port itself, but from the İçәri şәhәr Metro Station, you can take bus 6 (costs AZN 0.20) to Sәbail Rayon Dövlәt Yol Polisi İdarәsi, then bus 195 (costs AZN 0.80) to Alat (get off at the roundabout after the Alat Train Station) and then take a taxi (costs AZN 5) to the port
0 x

Tramper

Postby Tramper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I took the ferry from Aktau to Alat and was pleasantly surprised. I went to the Ferry Management Office as shown on Caravanistan and got a ticket for 80 dollars. You can pay by card or cash. They didn't accept dollars, so better bring the daily equivalent in Tenge. Ferry left the same day. At the port you pay for your vehicle and they tell you when the ship will arrive, but this is flexible. Even when it arrives you need to wait a long time before you can actually board, unless you are by foot. First all the cargo is unloaded, then you and your vehicle enter. I had to wait for about 7 hours, so better bring some entertainment. There is a café next to the customs building with WiFi, coffee and a hot meal.
The ferry I had (Barda) was quite comfy and the crew incredibly friendly and hospitable. The purchased ticket includes a room. Mine was a twin, but had no roommate. I received three proper meals a day, meaning my overly prepared rations where still untouched when I got to Alat. Do bring water. Also, no corruption and no bribes were paid. Just 80 dollars for the ticket and 137 dollars for my motorcycle (27 in Aktau, 110 in Alat).
2 x