Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Airplanes, buses, boats, feet, thumbs, ...
lukeo16

Re: Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Postby lukeo16 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 pm

A quick question it may be a silly one.

does anybody know if Azerbaijani e-Visas acceptable for travel on the ferry between Aktau and Baku or do you need a physical visa in your passport to board the boat/ Enter Azerbaijan? (UK Citizen)

(I am a little paranoid about getting to Aktau and then finding that the e-visa is not accepted)
0 x

ChrisEle

Postby ChrisEle » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

fitfortyandretired wrote:I have been waiting for the Baku to Aktau ferry for the last three days now. I am following elliotmayu's method on the previous post by calling +994504200905 every morning. Every time I call, they say "nyet" I am guessing that this means no. Is anyone else waiting for the ferry? Is the delay because of windy weather?

Hi Sam!

Tonight a boat will arrive at Alat port and will leave for Aktau in the early morning (at least that's the latest update we've got). We're currently in our car at Alat port waiting; we have our tickets and passed the customs.

We've been waiting like you until we became a little impatient (thankfully!). Those phone calls in the morning don't always help - we've gone to Alat port directly yesterday to figure this out. Status seems to change every hour or so.
Yesterday or last night, two (overdue) full boats left as the winds calmed down - we couldn't board one of them when we asked yesterday (1 boat was for trains only, the other one had no more cabin space). This morning around 11:30 the guy at the ticket office here told us there won't be any boat leaving until Friday. Then we went into the bungalow besides to get registered (we've been almost 10 days in the country). Another young lad in this office (who speaks good English and Russian) mentioned a boat may arrive tonight, so we decided to stay here, buy our tickets and wait. An hour later or two, they told us we'll need to wait for a convoy at night to go to the other port in Baku. After we've got our lunch and customs cleance done, they gave us our tickets and told us the boat will actually arrive and depart from Alat. So... News always change around here.

In short, come to Alat today if you want to board the next boat! :-) Coming from Baku on the highway, a little after leaving Qobustan, there's a central Azerpetrol station; take the exit right after it on the right. It turns around 270 degrees and brings you to a roundabout; go straight through security, then right at the roundabout, in the middle of the parked trucks, then on the left you'll see control gates and bungalows on their left. We've met at Qobuland Hotel, you'll recognise our car! :D Coordinates: 39.977101,49.441155

Here you can get cash (AZN or USD), food/water, toilets, shower, your ticket.

Cheers,
Chris & Ele.
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 pm

lukeo16 wrote:A quick question it may be a silly one.

does anybody know if Azerbaijani e-Visas acceptable for travel on the ferry between Aktau and Baku or do you need a physical visa in your passport to board the boat/ Enter Azerbaijan? (UK Citizen)

(I am a little paranoid about getting to Aktau and then finding that the e-visa is not accepted)
They don't care about visas, they just want the passport, which they'll collect on the car deck of the ship, then bring in a plastic bag to Azeri passport control, where you get it back. Of course, you'll have to take out the e-visa once in front of the Azeri officer.
0 x

fitfortyandretired

Postby fitfortyandretired » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:05 am

Thanks Chris and Elle! I just read your message. The hostel owner told me that the ferry leaving last night and tonight doesn't have cabin spaces for sleeping. Did you leave Alat Port last night or are you still waiting?
0 x

fitfortyandretired

Postby fitfortyandretired » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 am

Hi Crazydre. I was able to get into Azerbaijan without visa sticker. I recommend you have a printed copy. They wanted the printed copy because they needed to stamp the visa paper. I asked them if they could stamp my passport instead. After some discussion among themselves I was able to enter by just showing the pdf visa on my smartphone.
0 x

ChrisEle

Postby ChrisEle » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:15 am

fitfortyandretired wrote:Thanks Chris and Elle! I just read your message. The hostel owner told me that the ferry leaving last night and tonight doesn't have cabin spaces for sleeping. Did you leave Alat Port last night or are you still waiting?

Hi Sam,
We got our ticket yesterday and 25 hours later we're boarding now on the Nakhichevan. Apparently we need to let all the trucks go before us. That said, we're not on the boat yet! :-X
We met two swiss motorcyclists today who missed their boat yesterday (nobody actually called them to go to the port!). They got new tickets 2 hours ago for a boat leaving from Baku tomorrow, so try to get one now maybe. Our boat is now full indeed (36 passengers max).
Good luck!
0 x

fitfortyandretired

Postby fitfortyandretired » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:59 pm

For thiose waiting for the ferry to Aktau from Baku. There is a ferry leaving tmorrow the 28th of April from Baku! Coordinates 40.3630500, 49.9346500.The ferry is boarding between 12pm and 1pm. I bought the ticket at Kassa Office this afternoon for $80.
0 x

SteveRohan

Postby SteveRohan » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am

I took the Bagtyyar from Baku to Turkmenbashi a couple of weeks ago. Have written a detailed report of my experience here. Hope it might be of use to people. Best regards, Steve

http://www.thetripgoeson.com/single-pos ... rkmenistan
0 x

benjam1

Postby benjam1 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello travellers !

We (me and my girlfriend) took the ferry from Baku (Alat) to Aktau ten days ago.
We have a car (Peugeot 406 break, size of 4,7 meter long)
My updates below :
- Vicky (girl from the port of Baku) is not really aware of the schedule. Most of the time, she will answer you "go to Alat".
- It's possible to buy ticket in Alat (we even buy them the day before departure)
- We travel with Mercury 1
- Cabin is ok (included in the ticket of 80 $ each)
- They charged us 300 $ for the car (less than expected)
- Our journey took almost 2 days on the ship (one day of delay because of bad weather)
You can count also one day for papers (enter the port, customs and exit the port in aktau is a nightmare). So be patient and relax !
- They serve us food every day, 3 times a day (soup, chicken and rice)
- No way to buy beer of food inside, change your Manat before to get in !
- Most important : bring your own alcool !
- I confirm that sunset is amazing :)

Have a nice journey and cheers to our shipmate if they read this

Benjamin
2 x

dinozzaver

Postby dinozzaver » Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am

Just found a photo on my phone that someone can find it handy -
Ferry ticket office in Aktau, they speak Russian only. Call and ask when ferry is going. Last year (september) it was pretty constant, almost every day (but very random times). $80, pay in KZT.

Coordinates: 43.637087, 51.15733 (it should be marked on MapsMe)

PS: If someone is going from Baku to Aktau, I'm in Baki all May and have some KZT to get rid of!
1 x