Tsagaannuur - Tashanta crossing reports [Russia - Mongolia]

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
gkohler

Re: Tsagaannuur - Tashanta crossing reports [Russia - Mongolia]

Post by gkohler »

Is there a possibility to travel from ARSHATY/kazakhstan via PLOSKOGOR`YE UKOK to TASHANTA and then into mongolia by 4x4 car ?
0 x

Boris_S

Re: Tsagaannuur - Tashanta crossing reports [Russia - Mongolia]

Post by Boris_S »

No, it's impossible. The nearest official Kazakhstan-Russia border crossing post is Shemonaikha, about 100 km north from Ust-Kammenogorsk (Oskemen). It was theoretically possible only until early 90-s (about 2-3 years after the Soviet Union's collapse), but, at least, with the benefit of border permit from Russian borders authorities.
1 x

marchoso

Border Rusia - Mongolia it's open or not

Post by marchoso »

Anyone know if the border between Russia and Mongolia is currently open?
0 x

interrailer

Re: Border Rusia - Mongolia it's open or not

Post by interrailer »

If you would check with your foreign ministry, you would have within 1 minute the answer... Mongolia is off limits at the moment.
Border is closed. Reverse direction the same if you are not Russian citizen...
0 x

rkvis

Post by rkvis »

Don´t know about Russia but this is the news from Mongolia.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/co ... rs-2498836
0 x

samurai

Post by samurai »

Hi. I also want to know if the border from Russia to Mongolia is open currently. It seems that there are no trains from Ulan-Ude to Ulaanbaatar - or at least no tickets are on sale online. Thanks
0 x

LuckyBoy

Post by LuckyBoy »

Hi, Want to know as well, anyone has any info if foreign citizens are allowed to land cross the border from Mongolia to Russia?
0 x

Suba-Round-The-World

Land border Russia - Mongolia open?

Post by Suba-Round-The-World »

Hello. :) We are from Germany and are planning a trip with our car to Mongolia. Currently we are looking for all the important info about visa and border crossings. Today someone told me that the borders between Mongolia and Russia are closed for foreigners and only locals are allowed to cross them. Does anyone have official sources on what the current status is? I don't read anything about closed borders anywhere.
0 x

OWNER

Re: Land border Russia - Mongolia open?

Post by OWNER »

Hello! There are two types of checkpoints on the border between Russia and Mongolia. Multilateral (Tashanta, Kyakhta) for citizens of all countries and bilateral (Mondy, Khandagaity) - only for citizens of Mongolia and Russia. It is possible that this circumstance is the reason for the information that you received. At the moment there is no information about the closure of the border. I am updating this information now and will report additionally. These are the Tashanta and Kyakhta checkpoints, the photos were taken during my trip to Mongolia in 2016.

0 x

OWNER

Re: Land border Russia - Mongolia open?

Post by OWNER »

I consulted on this issue with two independent sources, my fellow travelers from Russia. They crossed the border in Tashanta, it was autumn 2022. There are no restrictions for foreign citizens. Use multilateral checkpoints.
0 x