Leaving a car in Central Asia

All about self-driving the Silk Road.
steven
Admin
Admin

Leaving a car in Central Asia

Postby steven » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:51 am

How to dump my car in Central Asia?

How to leave my car in -stan and pick it up in 6 months time?

2 questions I get a lot, to which I never have a good answer. I decided to just gather here reports of people who did it.

If you have a question concerning one of the reports below, please make a new topic. Let's reserve this space for reports of people leaving their car, and how they dealt with it. Not selling either, just leaving it, either for good, or to pick it up again at a later date.

All reports very welcome!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Leaving a car in Central Asia

Postby steven » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:55 am

First report, summer 2016, Tajikistan, from my inbox:

After reading Caravanistan, I decided to aim to sell it / dump it in Kyrgyzstan. I found someone in Eastern Tajikistan, a Kyrgyz, to be really helpful in helping me find a mechanic to replace busted shocks, and mentioned to him that I'd be looking to sell my car in Kyrgyzstan in a week or so, for 500$ + them taking car of the import duties, and did he know someone I could talk to.

Turns out he was interested and researched it (calling a friend who is an importer etc.). Import taxes were high (4100$ for a 1.59L right hand drive that was 12 years old. Also, right hand drive will be illegal to sell/transact on (but not drive) in Kyrgyzstan after 2020 (but still tons of right hand drive from Japan, I would estimate Osh is 30% right hand drive).

He's not sure whether he'll actually register it, find a scarpyard with a similar car and buy the plates off of them, or whether he can find a "friend" to smooth things over. If he doesn't register it, he'll still use it for his sheeps/yaks in the mountains, that's no problem he says.

We crossed the tajik border with me leaving the car in Tajikistan no problem (he accompanied me in case there was a problem). I"m not sure if that's simply easy to do, or whether the Osh-Murgab border is one of the only ones that remains to be computerised (on the Tajik side) but for whatever reason, it was easy.

My recommendation for people thinking about leaving a car is:
- if you can't sell it, find someone in a rural area who could use it without registering it
- see if you can leave across a land border, which is likely easier to negotiate than an airport border, and fly out from the neighbouring country.

Not sure that's helpful, but it all worked out for me.

Thanks again for your extraordinarily useful site!
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Zack&Pony

Postby Zack&Pony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Situation: we made Mongol Rally in 2016 (South route: Iran , Turkmenistan , Uzbekistan , Tajikista , et etc ) , our car is in Moscow now.
Project: on end May 2017 we would like to go from Moscow to Volgograd -Astrakan - Aral Sea - Khiva and leave the car in Bukhara e go back home (Italy) by flight from Tashkent;
August 2017: Flight to Tashkent ; by train to Bukhara and take the car heading Tajikistan - Pamir Highway til Osh and Almaty

What about leaving the car in Bukhara and returning in one month? Could we leave the country by flight and return in August? Should we expect problem at the border ? thanks for your reply. Please suggest the better solutions including your service and organization
0 x

cristiano

Postby cristiano » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Zack&Pony wrote:Situation: we made Mongol Rally in 2016 (South route: Iran , Turkmenistan , Uzbekistan , Tajikista , et etc ) , our car is in Moscow now.

When does your russian temporary import papers expire?
I'm asking this because I'm curious: I heard that they are giving 12 months now, but I would like to have some more accurate infos.

Zack&Pony wrote:Project: on end May 2017 we would like to go from Moscow to Volgograd -Astrakan - Aral Sea - Khiva and leave the car in Bukhara e go back home (Italy) by flight from Tashkent;
August 2017: Flight to Tashkent ; by train to Bukhara and take the car heading Tajikistan - Pamir Highway til Osh and Almaty

What about leaving the car in Bukhara and returning in one month? Could we leave the country by flight and return in August? Should we expect problem at the border ? thanks for your reply. Please suggest the better solutions including your service and organization

I don't know how it works with Uzbekistan, as I always entered and exited with my bike, but for sure you can leave your car with no problems in Kyrgyzstan, as long as the temporary import papers for custom union are valid, and flights from Italy to Bishkek are cheap ;-)
0 x

Zack&Pony

Postby Zack&Pony » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi cristiano; import in russia is for one year. no problem . i will leave my car in Kirghizistan ad the end of the route and i'll do Mongolia in 2018. I found direct flight Tashkent-Rome. What about Bishkek -Italya? thks for your kind reply
P
0 x

cristiano

Postby cristiano » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Zack&Pony wrote:Hi cristiano; import in russia is for one year. no problem . i will leave my car in Kirghizistan ad the end of the route and i'll do Mongolia in 2018. I found direct flight Tashkent-Rome. What about Bishkek -Italya? thks for your kind reply
P

Bishkek-Italy you can usually find very good rates with Pegasus through Istanbul.
And with very good I mean I just reserved Milano-Biskek one way for less than 150 euro next august ;)
1 x

Mleen Circumbendibus

Postby Mleen Circumbendibus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:24 am

Hi all,
we are in this situation at the moment. We entered Kyrgyzstan on the 5th of September 2016. We came from Tajikistan and it seems we didn't get the 1 year temporary import for the Russians Customs Union. Instead we got a paper which seems to be a Custom Declaration form which states it is valid till 5th of December 2016, which is 3 month in total. We insisted to give us a longer period, but they told us something like: “It doesn’t matter, no problem”. Due to some mechanical problems and the start of winter, we decided to leave the bus for some month. At the moment we are back in Bishkek and we are continuing our journey towards Kazakhstan or again to Tajikistan.

Thats means we have to cross the border with a custom declaration form that is not valid anymore. We are in doubt what to do now. We could say we lost the document and show the stamp in our passport that it did go through customs on the 5th of September 2016, which is within the 1 year. Or would it be better to find a way to extend our temporary import somewhere in Bishkek?

Thanks and advance for sharing your experiences!
Marleen
0 x

effen82

Postby effen82 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi mleen,

In october we will be in Kyrgyzstan, and we also would like to park the car there for a few months. Can you tell about your border crossing? Any problems?

Thanks for your answer!
0 x

Adam84

Postby Adam84 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:04 pm

entered kyrgyzstan June this year (from tajikistan), paid some 20$ bullshit fee at the border only and got 1 Year customs papers, customs officer said no problem for car to stay within the union (so incl. russia and kazakhstan) for the next year
1 x

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 pm

This is an interesting thread. I would like to leave my vehicle in Uzbekistan (Tashkent) for several months from January- I understand that Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan (and Tajikistan?) are part of the customs union with Russia (so, OK to leave 12 months there). But what about Uzbekistan? Have there been any reports following up the below posts? (If Uzbekistan is complicated I guess one could drive to Kyrgyzstan which is very tourist-friendly and leave the car in Bishkek - but waht are the roads like, from Tashkent to Bishkek via Namangan, in January? Will we get snowed in?)
0 x