Buying / Renting a 150cc bike in the Stans

Self-driving the Silk Road.
vic

Buying / Renting a 150cc bike in the Stans

Post by vic »

Hellooo

Truly happy to have found this forum. Thank you Steven for initiating and all of you for contributing.
I'm looking to travel around.. Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan & Kazakhstan.. Turkmenistan if I manage to get a visa... over June and July this year.

I ideally want to travel by motorbike, but looking at the prices of 50-100USD a day, it won't be possible for me.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a 150cc bike (I'm assuming it's possible as a foreigner to do so) or even rent one if it's not too expensive.. as I plan to keep it for two months.
I'm assuming it's possible to travel within the four countries without too much of a hassle regarding.. as long as I have insurance and pay import duties. Does anyone knows where I can find the cost of import duties and insurance for a 150cc bike..?

More so, If I can buy... do I need to return to the same country to sell the bike or can I sell it to a traveller / local in a neighbouring country as well.
From what I've read so far Kazakhstan/ Kyrgyzstan/ Tajikistan are the best places to buy a bike due to availability and affordability.

Appreciate any thoughts, recommendations, directions on the best way to navigate though this magical journey.
As I need to obtain a visa to all these countries except Kazakhstan.. any update on the ideal place to buy will be my landing point into the Stans.

Thank you all !!
Vic
))
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Re: Buying / Renting a 150cc bike in the Stans

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

As far as I know, getting your bike across the border every time sets you back quite some money for carnets.
There are probably bike shops here, but since I entered the stans (aktau till Tashkent so far) I haven’t seen any shops. Also the only motorbike I saw was from a russian tourist. I’ll let you know if I see some here in Tashkent
1 x

vic

Post by vic »

Thanks for sharing !!
0 x

Qiusang

Post by Qiusang »

Hi. I am also looking to buy a motorcycle of 150cc or less and then sell it off. Likely buying and selling in the same country so that hopefully less troublesome. Anyone has experience buying a motorcycle in the stans?
0 x