Advice on what 4X4 to buy for Silk Road

Self-driving the Silk Road.
KMsEveryDay

Advice on what 4X4 to buy for Silk Road

Post by KMsEveryDay »

Hi everyone! Looking forward to using this great resource.

I'm beginning to plan a trip across central asia next summer. This is going to involve buying a vehicle here in the UAE for the journey.

I'm after a 4x4 that will seat two people comfortably, plus has space for one or two friends that might join for a portion (or a guide if needed in some countries). We're looking to camp or preferably use a roof tent.

Would I be right in assuming a Toyota would be the way to go given their ubiquity in the Silk Road area for repairs and parts?

So with a budget of around $10,000 would you recommend:
  • Land Cruiser or Prado: plenty of choice in Dubai of series 100s around 2006 with c.200,000kms on the clock. Are these over complex mechanically?
    Fortuner: This would be plenty big enough and is lighter than the land cruiser but I see less of them in pictures along the silk road - any reason for this?
    Hilux: Dual cabs are harder to come by and generally in poor condition from what I see on the second hand market but still an option. Guess they are simple and robust
    Any others I should consider? Is it easy to find Pajero parts for example?
Would smaller Toyota 2.7l four cylinder engines be more fuel efficient and more reliable than V6?

Thanks in advance!
0 x

applehostelbishkek

Re: Advice on what 4X4 to buy for Silk Road

Post by applehostelbishkek »

hey guys

some of the roads in Central Asia are challenging, rocky and narrow. I recommend a good Toyota land cruiser. you should take a model so that the parts would be easily replaceable or fixed. possibly have some parts with you. if you end up buying one which is 2008 or higher and finish in Bishkek I would be interested in buying one depending on the model and quality and of course price. you can what's app me +996 553 280 881
0 x