Driving through Uzbekistan - time limit?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Tasha96

Driving through Uzbekistan - time limit?

Post by Tasha96 »

Hi,
My boyfriend and I bought a car in Kazakhstan and have been driving around Kazakhstan and Kyrgzstan, with the plan to drive it back to the UK.

Uzbekistan is next for us and we were planning on doing it over the course of around 3 weeks - from Tashkent - Samarkand - Bukhara - Khiva - Moynaq - Northernmost Uzbek-Kazak border to then catch the ferry from Aktau to Baku.

However, someone has just told us that he thinks we can only have the car in Uzbekistan for 15 days... I've researched this and cannot find any mention of it. We both have UK passports and so are visa free for 30 days. It's not like we can refresh our visas by crossing borders as there aren't any between Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan between the north and south of the country.

Please could someone advise - we're a little concerned that 15 days is a bit of a stretch for the route planned. Many thanks!

Any tips on the daily registration would also be appreciated, given we're sleeping in our car and not in hostels/hotels.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Driving through Uzbekistan - time limit?

Post by steven »

That's not true, they are referring to Tajikistan. https://caravanistan.com/transport/driv ... r-payments
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

murg

Post by murg »

Hi there

You can easily drive from city to city in one day:
Samarkand - Buchara - Nukus.

We did so, just the other direction

I'd recommend to travel Nukus - Moynaq, then stay at the yurt camp.
End of the main road, sign, to the right.

From Moynaq you can go to Beyneu. This will be a very long trip on a 'road' in really bad condition... With a border to cross at the end of the day.

We came the other way, drove Beyneu to Kungrad. Slept there, went on to Aralkhum, stayed in the yurt camp. Then Nukus,.....

These are driving times, including brakes for food but no sightseeing.
0 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Tasha96

Post by Tasha96 »

Fantastic, thanks guys! Did think it was a bit of a rogue statement - but wanted to be sure.

We're driving a UAZ 452 (Buhanka) so our speed is a bit limited, haha

Thanks for the route advice - that sounds great!
0 x

murg

Post by murg »

Tasha96 wrote:We're driving a UAZ 452 (Buhanka) so our speed is a bit limited, haha
...at least you don't have to be afraid of the potholed stretch around Bukhara & the130 km towards the border ;)

Happy & Safe travelling
0 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany