Entering Kyrgyzstan from Kazakhstan - bribe

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Charlie Tévir

Entering Kyrgyzstan from Kazakhstan - bribe

Postby Charlie Tévir » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:33 am

As you enter Kyrgyzstan from Kazakhstan there is a trafficpolice stand after about 200 meters. There is a "STOP" sign which needs to be taken seriously. Maybe obvious for most pple, but during the bordercrossing there are so many stopsigns that can be just avoided if you want to move on. I slowed down to abour 1km/hr, and just didn't stop (long enough), it was hard to tell on the camera. So you need to actually stop and count to three and then go on. If you don't the police will get you off the road and ask for a bribe. Though if you keep insisting that you want an official ticket, they'll let you move on. It took us about 20 minutes, so that's allright.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Entering Kyrgyzstan from Kazakhstan - bribe

Postby steven » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 am

This is at the Korday border, right? Locals don't bother stopping, they just saw your foreign license plate and went for it, I think. But, important to keep in mind to always slow down to a crawl when seeing these types of police stations. Usually located at the outskirts of cities. Well done for not giving in. The word to remember here is kwitantia (receipt), it's on my list for updates.
0 x
I try to read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Charlie Tévir

Postby Charlie Tévir » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Yes, it was at Korday. Ok, kwintantia, good to know! Thanks.
0 x

ExitMusic

Postby ExitMusic » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Yes, the police at that post are pretty bad.

They were pulling both locals and non-locals at that sign recently. Saw a few shouting matches and write-ups over people not stopping completely.

In our case we had actually stopped at the sign for a few seconds (as I remembered your post here!). When they realised that from watching the CCTV, the alleged offence was alluded to as having stopped before the stop sign 30 yards beforehand (pulling over, off of the road, to an auto-service / toilet booth).

Like you, we insisted on the official process but they were quite aggressive and persistent on getting a bribe. Eventually, they gave up but did actually write a fine up officially anyway, for stopping in a no-stopping zone before the stop sign (sigh).

I'm not sure if this is just unlucky as we haven't encountered these issues elsewhere, but our short personal experience of driving on foreign plates in Kyrgyzstan has very sadly been that harassment is hard to avoid. Even if you religiously obey all traffic rules and stop at the signs chances are you will be pulled at a police checkpoint and have random offences thrown at you in an attempt to intimidate a bribe until they grow bored (a particularly bad example was 'no luggage on the car'!).
1 x