Limitations regarding Self-Driving

Self-driving the Silk Road.
uffesobye

Limitations regarding Self-Driving

Post by uffesobye »

Hi!
Myself and a friend of mine are looking to travel the Stans, whenever it is possible again. We are currently looking to drive there, but we are unsure about, what limitations this will bring. Would it be possible – and worth the hassle – to leave your car behind for a period, in Kazakhstan e.g., to board the Soviet Trains, and then make it a loop, so we would end up the same place, or would that be difficult?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Limitations regarding Self-Driving

Post by steven »

Yeah that's possible. It's a bit of a hassle since you will have to prove on leaving the country where your car is, but people do it. https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/parking/

But why on earth would you want to do that? You have the freedom of your own car and you drove it all the way here, only to then give it up to take a train? Don't get that.

Which stretch would you not want to do by car and instead by train?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

in reference to above:

a sheikh's son goes abroad to study in an high developed country. on farewell his father tells him:
'my son, send me a message, how it is going'.
after a week father gets a message:
'it is ok, dad, but some things are strange here. i go to my university on my limousine with the driver, and the rest of people, both students and teachers, go by bus.'
fathers replies:
'son, i send you your own bus'.

so.
some people buy buses, some people buy trains.
and who can forbid the poor from playing like a rich?
;)

--

there is one vremennyi vvoz (customs declaration) for rus, kzh, kzg, byr. they usually issue it for the visa validity period.
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

And some roads are in such poor condition that the train is probably more comfortable.
I suppose a slow sleeping train is probably just as fast as driving some parts.

But once it is about destinations in the Stans, I think the distances are not that big. Only in Kazakhstan itself a train can beat it on time or convenience.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I agree that in terms of time and convenience (not to mention not having to deal with traffic police), train is sometimes a better choice. But this means that you are pretty much stuck to the cities, whereas a car gives you the freedom to go wherever you feel like. That's the main advantage!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D