Van trip France-Kyrgyzstan & come back by train ?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Cr4sH19

Van trip France-Kyrgyzstan & come back by train ?

Post by Cr4sH19 »

Hello all !

We are a french couple of 28 and 30 years old, passionated about travels and sports.
We hope to leave for a nice trip in 2022 (february-june, 5 months) with our new van (Crosscamp). We'll take the touring skis with us :)
The itinerary would be: Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Ouzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan.

To come back, I'd like to put the car in a container on a train from Bichkek (or Almaty, Astana...) to Warsaw (or Hamburg or Moscow) => any journey allowing us to avoid the long road across Russia (not that we don't want to explore this country but our planning would be too short).
I searched a lot but didn't find anything else than commercial silk freight, train Moscow-Almaty, ferry caspian & black sea...

Do you have any information or idea about that ?
Thank you !
Cheers
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Van trip France-Kyrgyzstan & come back by train ?

Post by Milad »

There is no such thing as car-carrying passenger trains anywhere in or from/to Central Asia, these are mainly an European thing (and are becoming rare here as well). It may be possible to ship the car as cargo, but this is going to be really expensive and if the car is old, the cost of this may exceed the car's value. Your best bet is probably driving it by yourselves and shorten the driving distance by using the Caspian and Black Sea ferries.
0 x

Cr4sH19

Post by Cr4sH19 »

Thanks for your answer Milad, unfortunately that's what I guessed...
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Did you already buy the van? A nice van but such a new van will not like the diesel in Iran and probably Uzbekistan (where they have little diesel)

The annoying thing is getting from kyrgystan to russia, because once you are in russia you could decide to just drive it as the roads are reasonable and allow you to make some decent mileage everyday.

I have read that people had transported their car back to Europe, and that was as cargo. Not very cheap but possible.
0 x