Self Driving from Europe

Self-driving the Silk Road.
magross11

Self Driving from Europe

Post by magross11 »

Hi everyone,
We have a self-driving Central Asia trip planned for 2023. We would begin in Western Europe, travel to Azerbaijan, and from there, cross over the Caspian Sea into Kazakhstan and travel through some of the other Stans.

We're still in the planning stages, but are just trying to see if...

- Anyone had issues driving a European registered vehicle through the Stans? Is there anything to note?
- Does anyone have any experience they can share about crossing the Caspian Sea and getting your vehicle on the boat? As much as we would love to drive the whole way, it doesn't look like going through Russia or Iran will be a feasible option right now.
- What difficulties should we expect trying to get diesel in Uzbekistan?

We are considering taking a Ford Transit Connect Euro 4.

Thank you all!
1 x

TheStig

Re: Self Driving from Europe

Post by TheStig »

Hi,
I have similar plans in terms of route, heading for Bhutan.
It seems the best option of van is a Toyota Hiace 4x4 with petrol engine, about 10-15 years old, in order to reduce problems with repair, poor fuel, and bad roads. I am not intentionally going for off-road places.
What are the general perceptions of anyone in terms of what van to select?

Thanks for any input
0 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

From what I've seen and read on multiple sites, if one can avoid diesel engines, especially the post 2006 ones with particle filter, and more electronics, likely to have issues in some contries where the quality of diesel is pretty poor (sulfur content, water,...).
Petrol engine is a good option indeed.
A MB Sprinter van with petrol engine and rear diff lock , or 4x4, is a good choice for Asia.
1 x

Sefti

Post by Sefti »

Hi all

I’m riding (motorcycle) from the UK to the stans setting off in April so I’m following this thread with interest. I’m not sure if anyone has spotted that the Azerbaijan land borders are still closed and my understanding is that there are no boats taking passenger/tourists across the Caspian ?

I’m trying to work out a plan b but struggling. I’m contemplating a Russia transit visa but not sure how welcome or even possible it is for a European in the current climate

I’d love to hear everyone’s plans and thoughts
1 x

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

Eh Sefti,
I have a similar plan but I leave earlyer, mid March. I already posted here and there that LASARE ships a bike from Tbilisi to Almaty for around 2000 €, one has to plan this transport around 10 days in advance.
I don't know if this is a good plan, but I will just go there, probably try to get a russian visa in turkey (which shouldn't be possible but one can give it a try), and if nothing works and Aserbaijan is still closed I will use this option.

Best,
Chris
0 x

Sefti

Post by Sefti »

Hi Chris

€2000 is probably to steep for me but interesting there is a another option. What a pain/impossible it’s becoming to try and get across the Caspian
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Sefti wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:22 pm
What a pain/impossible it’s becoming to try and get across the Caspian
You can get a permit to cross Azeri land borders - the Caspian sea ferry is working again since June 2022.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

Hi, thanks for sharing!
were did you get this info?
Were can this permit be achieved?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

IronChris wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am
Hi, thanks for sharing!
were did you get this info?
Were can this permit be achieved?
https://caravanistan.com/transport/casp ... mic-permit
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

Thank you, Steven!
You're an admin, so do you know how old this article is? The link seems to be in concern of ferries, not land borders, or do I misunderstand?
It is hard to trust since everywhere else people write it is nearly impossible to enter the country except for by plane.
0 x