Buying a car/bike in Kyrgyzstan as a foreigner and selling it after the trip in Tajikistan?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
danto1

Buying a car/bike in Kyrgyzstan as a foreigner and selling it after the trip in Tajikistan?

Post by danto1 »

Hi!

I was thinking about a longer trip through the "stans" with a route that will take me from Kyrgyzstan to Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and end in Tajikistan (Pamir highway roundtrip)

I was wondering if there is any way one can buy a car/bike in Bishkek and then sell it in Dushanbe as a foreigner?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thank you!
0 x

jokalt

Re: Buying a car/bike in Kyrgyzstan as a foreigner and selling it after the trip in Tajikistan?

Post by jokalt »

Well, that would require buying the car in Bishkek, paying registration, license plate, etc; and then import duties, registration and transit insurance in Tajikistan. That would certainly take a couple of days each. Import duties are hefty. Car dealers in Tajikistan bring cars in from Uzbekistan with transit license plates and the import duty is then paid by the buyer. You could try to sell your car to a dealer at the big used car market outside Dushanbe. Some of them are active on www.Somon.tj. Do not expect to make money on this. Also, Russian language skills would be essential. Given the tense relations between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, I have no idea how easy it would be to bring a car with a Kyrgyz license plate into the country and sell it here. The border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is closed and not likely to reopen anytime soon.
1 x

danto1

Re: Buying a car/bike in Kyrgyzstan as a foreigner and selling it after the trip in Tajikistan?

Post by danto1 »

jokalt wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:17 am
Well, that would require buying the car in Bishkek, paying registration, license plate, etc; and then import duties, registration and transit insurance in Tajikistan. That would certainly take a couple of days each. Import duties are hefty. Car dealers in Tajikistan bring cars in from Uzbekistan with transit license plates and the import duty is then paid by the buyer. You could try to sell your car to a dealer at the big used car market outside Dushanbe. Some of them are active on www.Somon.tj. Do not expect to make money on this. Also, Russian language skills would be essential. Given the tense relations between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, I have no idea how easy it would be to bring a car with a Kyrgyz license plate into the country and sell it here. The border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is closed and not likely to reopen anytime soon.
Thank you for the information! 🙏
I suspected that its probably not easy...
So i guess the best option would be to switch vehicles and rent a car or bike in Dushanbe...
0 x