Sell or dump a car

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Dutch Rally

Sell or dump a car

Post by Dutch Rally »

Hi,

This summer I'll travel with some friends by car through middle Asia. Initially we planned to join the Mongol rally, but this would limit our freedom. So we decided to make our own plan. We only face a major problem. We did some internet research about selling a car abroad. Most of the countries have some kind of import duty, or otherwise have to fill in some drivy through documents. We had some discussion about it and formulated several options:
1. Find the cheapest country to import a car and sell it.
- The website shows this will be Kyrgyzstan. What will be about the amount of import tax we'll have to pay?
2. Just fill in the required crossing papers at the borders an than just dump the car somewhere (after removing the licence plates).
- What will be the risk of this option (will the make notes in you passport for example?)
3. Find someone who wants to buy the car, strips it down and then sells it in parts
- Will this prevent the import tax?
4. Find a border crossing where the guards don't require the crossing papers (possibly combined with option 2 or 3).

Has anybody experience with one of these option?
What would you advise us?

Thanks,

Nils
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Sell or dump a car

Post by steven »

1. Just dumping the car will likely involve some bribes, since you are registered as coming into the country with a car, so if you leave without, it will look funny.

2. Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan are the best countries for getting rid of your car: best price and least import tax. The problem is age. I can't remember exactly, but if your car is either over 7 or over 10 years old, import tax gets really expensive for a potential buyer in Kyrgyzstan. In Tajikistan it is a bit less. If your car is more recent, of decent quality when it arrives and a good brand (Lada, Toyota are most common) you will have the least trouble getting rid of it.

If you plan on Tajikistan, you might want to get in touch with the people from Roof of the World Rally if you are in a pickle. They might be able to help you out.

Good luck!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Jun Fan

Post by Jun Fan »

Hi guys!

Nils, we have very similar plan to yours for this summer. We will buy an old car in our country (Slovenia) and then travel through central Asia. Our last stop is Bishkek, where we will try to get rid of the car (preferably sell it) and fly back home.

Do you want to exchange emails, so we could share the information we will get in the following months?
0 x

h_schuit

Post by h_schuit »

Hi Nils and Jun Fan,

I'm very interested in how your trip went and what problems you encountered? I'm planning the same sort of trip. Where did you sold or dumped the car? Lookinmg to hear from you guys.

greetings,

Hans
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Aliraza521,

you are right, it gets really expensive for older cars. I wrote down what I know about selling a car here: http://caravanistan.com/travel-tips/how ... tral-asia/
0 x

Punto on tour

Post by Punto on tour »

I got very prompt and helpful replies on this topic from Patrik at Muztoo and Ryan at Iron Horse Nomads, both in Kyrgystan.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

So what is your plan now, Punto on tour? I am also eager to know the latest info on this issue, and I don't want to bother these guys, I know they are very busy.
0 x